British Speedway Forum

Cradley Heathens

From Cradleys Official Site

NATIONAL League Speedway champions Cradley Heathens have only a 50/50 chance of coming to the tapes next season.

Heathens have lost the use of Wolverhampton’s Monmore Green track in 2015 and have so far failed in their bid to secure a piece of land of their own within the Dudley or Sandwell region.

Now the club are running out of time if they are to secure a place on track next season with negotiations ongoing between several parties.

Cradley chairman Nigel Pearson said: “We had a full day of meetings on Monday but we have been unable to conclude any business for next year.

“We acknowledge this is a worrying time for our supporters and as a management team we promise to do all we can to ensure Cradley Heathens come to the tapes for the 2015 season.

“I won’t comment on potential venues for our home meetings because it would be unwise to do so at this stage. It isn’t a simple, straightforward process when it comes to operating on a track which ultimately isn’t our own.

“The new track project has been frustrating, if there is one area where we have so far failed as a management team it is that – we’ve done five years and still haven’t secured a track of our own.

“It’s ongoing, but we also want to keep the club alive for the fans – they are the reason we do this.”

As somebody else said on Cradleys Facebook page, were been slowly dwindled bad news to soften the blow of when the reality kicks in that we wont be riding again!

I do apprichiate the club saying that its 50/50 at least we can prepare for bad news! Where I will watch speedway next year will be difficult as I dont see myself going to Wolves but at the moment there the only club that will be around for the next decade I belive!

Cradley Heathens have go to stop looking at Dudley Council and get onto Sandwell where Cradley Heath actually lies. They have sucsessful sports teams in the borough and have a leisure trust that is spending a lot of money building sports facilities in the borugh!

Dudley Council dont even have a decent baths and have not spent money on Sport ventures for the last 20years!

As somebody else said on Cradleys Facebook page, were been slowly dwindled bad news to soften the blow of when the reality kicks in that we wont be riding again!

I do apprichiate the club saying that its 50/50 at least we can prepare for bad news! Where I will watch speedway next year will be difficult as I dont see myself going to Wolves but at the moment there the only club that will be around for the next decade I belive!

Cradley Heathens have go to stop looking at Dudley Council and get onto Sandwell where Cradley Heath actually lies. They have sucsessful sports teams in the borough and have a leisure trust that is spending a lot of money building sports facilities in the borugh!

Dudley Council dont even have a decent baths and have not spent money on Sport ventures for the last 20years!

Sounds good - has nobody tried this?

Sounds good - has nobody tried this?

Who knows...This information is locked away in a top secret location where only three men know the code to the door!

Ive emailed Sandwell Council and they responded with a the normal, we would support any venture in the area. Media reports also stated they would welcome the Heathens with open arms about four years ago.

If you type 'Sandwell council cradley heathens' into google there is a PDF file with information where CRASH tried to get the help!

Worth a read, hopes and promises broken!

From Cradleys Official Site

NATIONAL League Speedway champions Cradley Heathens have only a 50/50 chance of coming to the tapes next season.

Heathens have lost the use of Wolverhampton’s Monmore Green track in 2015 and have so far failed in their bid to secure a piece of land of their own within the Dudley or Sandwell region.

Now the club are running out of time if they are to secure a place on track next season with negotiations ongoing between several parties.

Cradley chairman Nigel Pearson said: “We had a full day of meetings on Monday but we have been unable to conclude any business for next year.

“We acknowledge this is a worrying time for our supporters and as a management team we promise to do all we can to ensure Cradley Heathens come to the tapes for the 2015 season.

“I won’t comment on potential venues for our home meetings because it would be unwise to do so at this stage. It isn’t a simple, straightforward process when it comes to operating on a track which ultimately isn’t our own.

“The new track project has been frustrating, if there is one area where we have so far failed as a management team it is that – we’ve done five years and still haven’t secured a track of our own.

“It’s ongoing, but we also want to keep the club alive for the fans – they are the reason we do this.”

If you believe the bottom line , then you believe anything, but its good PR. For the end of season do, sold out weeks ago, a commemorative Brochure at £6, Champions Team photos at £10 but its for the Fans, so why arent they free ?

Wait until they visit your track

I don't think they will..............................................

Sunderland closed down over forty years ago now.

Plus - I no longer attend at Newcastle - so - I guess I am destined never to find out.

Whisper :- unless you tell me.

Perry Wood? Dudley Barr? Does anyone give a monkey's what home is called as long as we've got one?

I would. Long Eaton may exist in name today, but riding away from the area means it is not my team. So Cradely riding at Birmingham is not really Cradley, it is Birmingham in disguise, and would not help attract new local fans to the stadium if the team is called something other than Birmingham.

• Like 1

I would. Long Eaton may exist in name today, but riding away from the area means it is not my team. So Cradely riding at Birmingham is not really Cradley, it is Birmingham in disguise, and would not help attract new local fans to the stadium if the team is called something other than Birmingham.

Yes maybe it wouldnt attract local fans to Perry Barr, but if The Brummies and Cradley both rode at Perry Barr in the NL I do believe that would be viable, both Teams would have an identity and there would be cracking local derbies between them.

It's not my usual daily but I saw a copy of the Sun yesterday and there was a 2 page article in there about how Dudley is now rated as the worst Shopping Centre in the Country. Apparently some surveyors have been around the UK rating town centres out of a maximum score of 400. Dudley's score was 5 and those of us that know it would probably say that's generous.

When you look at sport in the area the position is probably even worse if that is possible. The town has lost a good quality non league football ground, a cricket ground frequently visited by Worcestershire (and even the Aussie tourists on one occasion), a speedway track, a dog track and two swimming baths. All in the course of the last 30 years!

The Council have done nothing to help the Club relocate over the years. There have been options put to them on a number of occasions and they have not actively supported any of them.

For a Council that complains that the town's night time economy is dead on its feet they cannot see the link of bringing a Club back to the area that will attract over 1000 people to events in the evening.

I have my fingers crossed for Nigel Gary and Chris but they have their work cut out in Dudley and as far as Sandwell are concerned I wish anyone well in getting any form of response from Darren Cooper (Leader) who once said they would find us land and we could pay them when we could!

I really envy the likes of Manchester and Leicester where they have Councils who want to deliver sports facilities. It makes such a difference.

• Like 2

Yes maybe it wouldnt attract local fans to Perry Barr, but if The Brummies and Cradley both rode at Perry Barr in the NL I do believe that would be viable, both Teams would have an identity and there would be cracking local derbies between them.

It wouldn't make sense, and I don't think it would be financially viable for one of the two teams.

Needs must in these desperate times for Cradley and Birmingham speedway!

I think Cradley and Birmingham both running at Perry Bar in the NL could work as long as both had teams with strong teams, and 4-5 of Cradley matches at Wolves when Wolves weren't riding on a Monday including the Cradley V Birmingham match!

Remember that the finances needed at NL is a lot lower so the breakeven crowd figures needed at that level are much lower than EL!

It wouldn't make sense, and I don't think it would be financially viable for one of the two teams.

Well i wouldnt think it is a risk for Cradley, so i would guess you are hinting at the Brummies, my take on this is that (NL) is the only way back for Brum at this moment in time. and if the 2nd city cant support NL racing at £10 or so, then it doesnt deserve Speedway, yes Speedway itself has big problems which need sorting out, and i dont mean points limits and doubling up, or double points, but if the BSPA grasp the nettle then there is a place for The Brummies.