British Speedway Forum

Aces 2015

Using that criteria, Wolves are relative newcomers to the top division, Coventry have a good pedigree but they did start after WW11 as a team in the lower division which Belle Vue supplied with riders. Belle Vue are the only team remaining who have always been in the top division. But as I said, it is where they are today that is the most important factor.

Just saying from my perspective as I've watched the sport since 87. I believe there was a Coventry team from the 1920s and also racing was held a Lythalls Lane in the city.

Just saying from my perspective as I've watched the sport since 87. I believe there was a Coventry team from the 1920s and also racing was held a Lythalls Lane in the city.

There was indeed a Coventry team pre-war but like every track, apart from Belle Vue, closed during the war years. As I mentioned they re-opened, I think as the Bees, in 1946, in one of the lower leagues. They can certainly be regarded as one of the main clubs and have had more success than the Aces in recent years.

• Like 1

There was indeed a Coventry team pre-war but like every track, apart from Belle Vue, closed during the war years. As I mentioned they re-opened, I think as the Bees, in 1946, in one of the lower leagues. They can certainly be regarded as one of the main clubs and have had more success than the Aces in recent years.

When Coventry opened as the Bees in 1948, it was in effect a 3rd division feeder track for Belle Vue. The promoter was Belle Vue rider Jack Parker (the promoter's licence had to be held in his wife's name since he was not allowed to be a promoter whilst still riding at Belle Vue).

He staffed the team mainly with Belle Vue assets who couldn't get into the Aces team, like Bob Fletcher, Bert Lacey, Bernard Tennant, Ralph Horne, John Yates and Alec Edwards.

• Like 2

The only valid comparison between Cook and FTR riders is that quite a few of them have been riding for longer than he has. His poor scores away last year were the result of riding against heat leaders not second strings and FTR riders.

Not quite sure why that's a reason to be inconsistent - wasn't he racing the same heat leaders and second strings at home as he was away?

Edited by SPEEDY69

Not quite sure why that's a reason to be inconsistent - wasn't he racing the same heat leaders and second strings at home as he was away?

It was the point comparing him to FTR riders that was a nonsense but there is no denying that Cook's away form was poor.

However, there is no doubt that the new race format made things more difficult for heat leaders, which is why most ended up with a lower average. Also,your point about racing the same heat leaders and second strings at home as he did away ignores that virtually every rider has a poorer away average than at home. It is almost bound to be so because most riders have a significant advantage when riding their home track.

Edited by Aces51

It was the point comparing him to FTR riders that was a nonsense but there is no denying that Cook's away form was poor.

However, there is no doubt that the new race format made things more difficult for heat leaders, which is why most ended up with a lower average. Also,your point about racing the same heat leaders and second strings at home as he did away ignores that virtually every rider has a poorer away average than at home. It is almost bound to be so because most riders have a significant advantage when riding their home track.

That was a misunderstanding then, I was merely comparing his away average with that of an FTR rider. I accept away averages are often lower but rarely does a quality rider have such a big gulf between home and away (less than 5 away).

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

Good signing as a second string. I think Craig will improve significantly in 2015.

Very true, however i don't expect him to stay in that position for long. Cookie and Stead may well swop places on a regular basis throughout the season. Side looks quite solid, and fifth signing will be key if Aces are to challenge..

Everyone else as started one so might aswell start one myself

Think format will stay same with the odd tweak here and there.

Therefore I think we will look a Lil like this

Zagar

Nicholls

King/fricke

R worrall

Toft/fricke

S worrall

M clegg

Cook will go leicester I think

Got the Cook bit wrong didnt ya Phil lol

Got the Cook bit wrong didnt ya Phil lol

Every year I think he won't be back and and he always come back.

And TBF I did that team before I knew we had a new manager

4 out of the 7 won't be a bad guess though lol

Edited by Phil The Ace

Max Fricke - Can he double up ? Seems a bit early for him to go full time so I would haave thought a new 5.00 rider in the team rather than Max may be of more benefit in the future.

Max Fricke - Can he double up ? Seems a bit early for him to go full time so I would haave thought a new 5.00 rider in the team rather than Max may be of more benefit in the future.

Thought he had already declared he wasn't looking to double up in PL next season?

Edited by stevebrum

Hahahaha. Don't make me laugh. If he was signing for Wolves it would have been a post saying he's done right thing.

He's riding Sweden and Denmark at least so he's riding elsewhere. He's ready for EL

• Like 1

Don't think Aussies can double up now due to work permit regulations so he'll need to make a decision on either EL or PL.

He's clearly a considerable talent so sure he'd cope in the EL if he chooses that route.

If Fricke is the last man, Belle Vue will have a solid look about them and with much stronger reserves compared to last season. Reckon they will be in the mix for a playoff place.

Edited by Speedball

Some honest comments by Cookie which dispel the impression some seem have about his opinion of himself.

http://www.bellevueaces.co/newsitem.aspx?id=1295

I think it's a win, win, situation for the Aces with either Cook or, Stead, as a second string throughout the season.

Did Dave Gordon realy just say of Cook, “Personally, my opinion of him is that he’s one of the most naturally talented riders I've ever seen and he needs to realise just how good he already is, and how good he’s capable of being.”?! Really?! Fair enough but it probably explains whj BV have struggled for years. Cook is not a natural IMO, he's clearly the more methodical thinking rider. He can't just "do it" he has to work out how he's going to do it.