British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2015

It'll be sickening if they want to take up the area for building, there is motocross too, can't we have room for motorcycles in this country ffs!

No, greed and money has become the number one priority in this country now. Sad days...

• Like 1

There has been talk/gossip among the fans that the stock cars are safe for 2016, which if that is really the case then surely no reason why speedway cannot continue, also i have no idea where this would leave the Hagon Academy?

It'll be sickening if they want to take up the area for building, there is motocross too, can't we have room for motorcycles in this country ffs!

Think of all that money, not to mention all that Council tax if they turn the land into Appartments or Houses.. :o Tell me, what presently stands on the Stadiums of Oxford and Reading ?

There has been talk/gossip among the fans that the stock cars are safe for 2016, which if that is really the case then surely no reason why speedway cannot continue, also i have no idea where this would leave the Hagon Academy?

Ask Gerald.

Edited by Starman2006

I train a stock car racer and I can confirm that, based on what he's told me, there is indeed a 3 year extension for stock car racing to continue.

He also told me that the current landlords are considering introducing another regular 'drift' meeting on Friday nights which would obviously end Lakeside's use of the facility on that evening.

Now, based on that, my speculation is as follows:

Lakeside have been offered an alternative Race Night which if midweek would not be useful really as historically, crowds are way down on those evenings.

A lot depends on planning permission for a new stadium. If granted, I can see the club eeking by on a midweek just to keep things ticking.

If not, there would be little point running speedway for 3 years on a midweek race night with no reward (new stadium) at the end only to see the club fold anyway.

A lot of ifs and buts.

I believe that if we can secure Friday/Saturday night racing we shall come to the tapes in 2016.

Here's hoping.

I have also heard the story about a three year contract for stock cars. I always thought that the owners of arena essex were the stock car promoters, or has this changed.

I think it's changed now but whether it's a real change or a cosmetic one I don't know. These rumours fly around but for every rumour saying one thing there is another one saying something else all of them coming from people supposedly " in the know"

We should have news by the end of this month anyway.

Another drift meeting would not surprise me, from what i have heard first hand from a petrol head i know these events are very popular and very profitable for the stadium owners and money is ultimately what it comes down too.

If and its a big IF the Elite League goes down the route of a fixed night of racing it will be midweek anyway so that scenario may happen in any case.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well that's it. It was all the reserves fault then .

err , who picked them ?

It wasn't the reserves fault. It was the fault of the system which allocated reserves. There were ten tier one riders available at the start. By the time Poole, King's Lynn, Coventry and Belle Vue had protected their own of the remainder, three rode for Friday PL clubs leaving Birks, Boxall and Roynon. I think Lakeside would have done OK using Birks but sods' law decreed that, once the PL fixture list was issued, he would miss thirteen fixtures due to clashes so they took an early decision to replace him with Boxall who immediately was injured riding for Rye House and, although he attempted comebacks, it was obvious he wasn't fit and eventually ruled out for the season. Later, Birks was reinstated but immediately injured and also out for the remainder of the season.

Edited by tocha
  • Like 2

Ah well that's it. It was all the reserves fault then .

err , who picked them ?

I think a trip to specsavers might help you.

It's quite amazing people constantly criticise promoters for not making enough statements, then when they do some dickhead tries to put a totally different interpretation on it.

Tocha's analyssis is correct.. Lakeside's 1-5 had a better combined average than Coventry or Kings Lynni so they did a reasonable job, but the EDR system caused big problems with injuries at reserve To a lesser extent Leicester and Kings Lynn had similar problems.

It wasn't the reserves fault. It was the fault of the system which allocated reserves. There were ten tier one riders available at the start. By the time Poole, King's Lynn, Coventry and Belle Vue had protected their own of the remainder, three rode for Friday PL clubs leaving Birks, Boxall and Roynon. I think Lakeside would have done OK using Birks but sods' law decreed that, once the PL fixture list was issued, he would miss thirteen fixtures due to clashes so they took an early decision to replace him with Boxall who immediately was injured riding for Rye House and, although he attempted comebacks, it was obvious he wasn't fit and eventually ruled out for the season. Later, Birks was reinstated but immediately injured and also out for the remainder of the season.

In addition to Birks and Boxall, Adam Roynon had a season ending injury in the first of what was to be several guest appearances for Lakeside so that was all the top tier reserves gone.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1