British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2015

That's all sorts of confusing / unexpected! Thanks for the update though Ian. So what would happen to the Kings? There was a mention in the Lakeside programme notes last week about the future of racing at Arena Essex, but to be honest I read it as potentially positive (although very vague) and wondered if it would mean the stadium might be changing hands or investment in facilities or something similar.

I hope for one this does not happen.

That's all sorts of confusing / unexpected! Thanks for the update though Ian. So what would happen to the Kings? There was a mention in the Lakeside programme notes last week about the future of racing at Arena Essex, but to be honest I read it as potentially positive (although very vague) and wondered if it would mean the stadium might be changing hands or investment in facilities or something similar.

Len did say they would run a NL team as well as I guess to make up a full season of racing.

• Like 1

an investment in facilities is just what lakeside need. Arena essex in its present guise is not fit for a top league professional sports team like the hammers. As a fan that was brought up watching speedway in the great london stadiums of the 1970's, i am finding it harder to motivate myself to go to purfleet on Fridays. This has nothing to do with quality of racing, it's just that I need a bit more comfort in my old age!
  • Like 1

Only fair to reply to this thread, but last night I did asked Len Silver at Kent's open forum about Kent's latest planning variation to running times and curfew, being a change to running on a Friday between 6 and 9:30 and the impact of Lakeside. His answer was that if and only if the new times and day are approved then the Promotion at Lakeside would move to Kent and run Elite League racing in 2016. The planning application variation is due to be heard in April by Swale Borough Council and can be viewed on their website.

I guess this has been on the cards for some time, First they change the name to Lakeside, then change the team colors and now they seemingly want to remove the last vestige of what was historically the Arena "Essex" Hammers but if someone had said to me back in the early 90's when i was still a spotty teenager that speedway would still be taking place here in the year 2015 i would have been amazed, i truly would.

If true and that's a big if at this point, i cannot imagine many from the Essex side of the Thames going across the river on a Friday night, that's of course if you can get across the bridge in the first place!

As much as we like to moan about the place being spartan, a long way from the action, often cold and windy,it has become something of a second home to many many people over the years and lots of memories some good some bad, it will be a sad day when that is gone, like Wimbledon, Crayford and Hackney it will be another set of fans lost to the sport.

Potentially very sad times indeed. I hope a new more Essex based venue can be found for the Hammers.

I fear that although the Kent crowd size is good there wont be enough who could / would watch speedway twice a week and with a number of fans unable to travel down from Essex it could be harmful to both sides?

Fortunatey working on the railway gives acces to a lot of people with a lot of contacts and a workmate who is a proper petrol head and close to the family who own arena essex summised that the speedway going could only be down to plans to renovate the stock car track making it bigger, their four wheeled events are doing well in particular the car drifting which is hugely popular and apparently making a killing, so this may not be Terry Russell circa 1995 all over again but a case of the speedway being booted on financial grounds, I guess though there is no reason why the academy can't stay there although it would under the circumstances be more sensible to move it to Iwade.

Fortunatey working on the railway gives acces to a lot of people with a lot of contacts and a workmate who is a proper petrol head and close to the family who own arena essex summised that the speedway going could only be down to plans to renovate the stock car track making it bigger, their four wheeled events are doing well in particular the car drifting which is hugely popular and apparently making a killing, so this may not be Terry Russell circa 1995 all over again but a case of the speedway being booted on financial grounds, I guess though there is no reason why the academy can't stay there although it would under the circumstances be more sensible to move it to Iwade.

Not sure that's necessarily accurate. A couple of years ago someone connected with the stocks told me they weren't do well. They seem to depend a few big meetings a year to make the profit but the smaller ones don't seem to be so remununarative. I can't see them turning substantial income from the speedwáy rent away. We are probably talking £25000+ per year.

Just speculation at this point, but doubts about running were part and parcel of this club for many years so it's nothing new, just make the most of it whilst it's there, nothing lasts forever.

Unfortunately you're right Claret73. I guess Jon Cook has to look for a new place now, rather than suddenly get turfed out, with nowhere to go. Hope he can find a place in Essex though

Re Iwade.

The SCB have a problem with that believe me so thats probably not an option plus the guys at Iwade would probably have something to say about it as why should they be associated with anything going on at Central Park?

Personally hope the Hammers stay at Lakeside and Kings stay at CP.

Edited by Nikko

Better to keep the team on track than lose them all together? If Central Park provides a stop gap whilst another venue is found nearer / in Essex it has to be a benefit.

Not a perfect solution but some any speedway is better than no speedway

For a lot of people in Essex that will mean no speedway.

Essex is far to built up now so finding a place suitable for speedway will be almost impossible, bar the traffic congestion on a Friday night and somewhat sparse facilities Arena Essex was the ideal venue.

If they moved to CP then i could see them being a sole Elite League club and maybe do a bit of training their too? I see on twitter that there is no academy training this Saturday because the stadium is in use but quite how that would effect the academy i have no idea? I just hope this is not going down the route of a falling out between the two parties, the Speedway and "Arena Essex" have been together for 31 years this season and i have been following for 27 of those, quite literally man and boy!

In fact considering the milestone i am a little surprised those 30 years have not been marked in some fashion, even if it was just a parade of a selection of riders from the past who have donned the legendary Hammers race jacket, there's an awful lot of history there!

• Like 2

For a lot of people in Essex that will mean no speedway.

Only if you believe the ol' forum rumour mill !

Ashley Birks being your Tier 1 FT reserve is due to miss 13 meetings this year and Sheffield looking likely to reach the semi- Finals of the league cup it could be 13-17 meetings, form on the road has been poor so far 3 @ King's Lynn and 1+1 @ Poole last night. Is he really ideal as a Tier 1 FT reserve? Any thoughts?

Ashley Birks being your Tier 1 FT reserve is due to miss 13 meetings this year and Sheffield looking likely to reach the semi- Finals of the league cup it could be 13-17 meetings, form on the road has been poor so far 3 @ King's Lynn and 1+1 @ Poole last night. Is he really ideal as a Tier 1 FT reserve? Any thoughts?

It would appear not at present - regularly outscored by his fellow (lower ranked) reserve.

On the basis of last Fridays meeting Steve Boxall is staking a pretty could claim and reading between the lines of this weeks Speedway Star he is desperate for a chance.

On the basis of last Fridays meeting Steve Boxall is staking a pretty could claim and reading between the lines of this weeks Speedway Star he is desperate for a chance.

His performance at Swindon tonight could really help his cause.

It's early days though - I always find it a bit surprising when people talk about a team's strength or a rider's performances this early in a season. Having said that, I expected Ashley to be performing better away than at home (although he did look better at Lakeside than I expected for his first couple of meetings - I thought it would take him some time to figure out the track).

If he doesn't start picking up points away, I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced by Boxall if possible - and if he has to be replaced, I'd be happy to have Steve in the team. Ashley being missing for so many meetings obviously isn't ideal so it's sure to be a factor.

Edited by Mjolnir