British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2015

So the Comets have bought back Richard Lawson

http://workingtoncomets.co/news/article.asp?id=100423

Doesn't mean he is riding for us in 2015, but I wonder if he'll be back at Lakeside?

Wrong.

Marksman, on 01 Dec 2014 - 8:25 PM, said:

Well he's just tweeted this:

Richard Lawson@RlracingLawson 2m

Lakeside is almost sorted with Jon Cook looking forward to be back there in 2015 want to clarify I will NOT be racing for Workington in 2015

So answers the question!

Right ;-)

How much do you know about libel?

Something weird has gone on. Why would you sell one of you future top stars to a team that don't plan on using him. And that team was the team u supposedly bought him off

Nothing surprises me in speedway anymore TBH

Something weird has gone on. Why would you sell one of you future top stars to a team that don't plan on using him. And that team was the team u supposedly bought him off

From what I've read, there was a clause which allows them to buy him back - whether Lakeside want to sell or not!

They obviously feel he has a bright future and can, therefore, get more money for him I would guess.

Quote directly from Workington Promotion on the comets forum

"The deal for Richard was a genuine one, one in which Lakeside agreed to pay Workington a substantial transfer fee, in instalments. Initial instalment was paid on agreement, the second was due if w decided not to invoke the buy back clause. It was Lauras decision to have Richard back as an asset.

Overall all I will say it was good bit of business for Workington Speedway :-)

Something weird has gone on alright but not what you are suggesting. You have to ask yourself why Worky have suddenly decide to buy him back when he has said all along that he is not going to be riding for them in 2015. Worky are throwing their toys out of the pram but as has been said many times a rider will usually ride where he wants to ride. Watch this space.

From what I've read, there was a clause which allows them to buy him back - whether Lakeside want to sell or not!

They obviously feel he has a bright future and can, therefore, get more money for him I would guess.

i dont believe for a minute there was a clause in the contract that allowed Lawson to be bought back whether Lakesisde wanted to or not---cant see anyone doing that

More like Lakeside didnt pay for him and he has gone back to Worky

Quite a plan when you think about it as last year Redcar would have got first call on Lawson,not Lakeside---so Lakeside say they will buy him and get first call!!

Redcar get shafted!!!!

i dont believe for a minute there was a clause in the contract that allowed Lawson to be bought back whether Lakesisde wanted to or not---cant see anyone doing that

More like Lakeside didnt pay for him and he has gone back to Worky

Quite a plan when you think about it as last year Redcar would have got first call on Lawson,not Lakeside---so Lakeside say they will buy him and get first call!!

Redcar get shafted!!!!

You might choose to believe there was no buy back clause but even Worky say there was one so why should they say there was one if there wasn't?

Richard has tweeted that he is not going back to Workington, and also tweeted that the deal to ride for Lakeside should get sorted soon. Bearing in mind that he left the Comets last year and went to Redcar, it seems pretty clear that he doesn't want anything to do with Workington and they have used the buy back clause to get him back there but he is not having it.

• Like 1

I thought the plan all along was to buy him but two of the clubs big sponsors either went bust or pulled out. Something was said about it at the time but I can't really remember.

I also seem to remember reading that Skidmarques went out of business and owed a significant sum of money that was supposed to be paying the rest of Richard's transfer fee.

The buy back clause was also mentioned from the very beginning so I think that's more likely to be the reason than a lack of payment. Richard is extremely popular with riders and management so I expect the Lakeside promotion would have done what they could to retain him as an asset. To be honest I can see why he would be a valuable asset for Workington even if he doesn't want to ride there so the buy back would make sense.

Very good news to see even more clues that he'll be back riding for us next season!

Edited by Mjolnir
  • Like 1

Sounds like a stunt just to ensure Lakesde had first call on his services last year.

As you say nothing surprises me anymore.

The buy back clause was also mentioned from the very beginning so I think that's more likely to be the reason than a lack of payment. Richard is extremely popular with riders and management so I expect the Lakeside promotion would have done what they could to retain him as an asset. To be honest I can see why he would be a valuable asset for Workington even if he doesn't want to ride there so the buy back would make sense.

I seem to remember a buy back clause being mentioned too. So it might not be any funny business. Just Workington realising he's now a 6.5 EL rider so worth a few £££ more and going after more money for him - and if Lakeside have had sponsors fail to pay up they may well be relieved by the news too. Or it could be funny business by one side or the other, I doubt we'll ever be told!

Interesting comments but folks should refrain from asserting that clubs' have reneged on payments etc without any proof of same.

Makes one wonder if the initial instalment was the equivalent of a season's loan fee or what other clauses there were to deal with the issue of monies already paid.

• Like 1

Sounds like a stunt just to ensure Lakesde had first call on his services last year.

As you say nothing surprises me anymore.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the forums Chief Lakeside Hater appeared, putting his negative spin on it without bothering to chech the facts.

The facts are that the Lakeside website said quite openly at the start of last season that they wanted to secure Richards services rather than having to use guests when his PL club had fixtures and that was one of the reasons for the arrangement.One of the big moans from fans generally last year was the use of guests and Lakeside took steps to avoid that. How on earth is it a "stunt" if it's a legal,contractual arrangement by both parties ?

What seems to have thrown a spanner in the works is that Richsrd, for whatever reason clearly doesn't want to go back and ride for the Workington promotion

• Like 1

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the forums Chief Lakeside Hater appeared, putting his negative spin on it without bothering to chech the facts.

The facts are that the Lakeside website said quite openly at the start of last season that they wanted to secure Richards services rather than having to use guests when his PL club had fixtures and that was one of the reasons for the arrangement.One of the big moans from fans generally last year was the use of guests and Lakeside took steps to avoid that. How on earth is it a "stunt" if it's a legal,contractual arrangement by both parties ?

What seems to have thrown a spanner in the works is that Richsrd, for whatever reason clearly doesn't want to go back and ride for the Workington promotion

I agree it gets a bit tedious when bigcatdiary keeps turning up with his constant sniping against Lakeside, making himself look a bit stupid in the process, but I think the forum generally ought to wait and see which PL club Richard signs for, before jumping to conclusions, and the picture may then become clearer.

A lot of this was discussed at the fans forum last month so those who were there have a pretty good idea what has gone on, and it was said that it could be as late as January before a formal announcement can be made,I think Workington may have jumped the gun with their announcement before everything has been fully resolved.

Edited by E I Addio

A buyback clause usually means that if Lakeside want to sell, then they have to offer to sell him to Workington at a pre-agreed price before selling to any other club.

It would seem very odd to have a buyback clause where Workington could buy him back at any time against Lakeside's wishes.

Not sure what has gone on, but seemingly neither club seem unhappy, so I don't see a great problem.