British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2015

With how the fixtures are set up this season I hope this means AJ will be back leading the hammers.

I hope so! And ideally I hope it will be on a re-assessed average after a few years out, as the new format is undoubtedly tougher for heatleaders.

I hope so! And ideally I hope it will be on a re-assessed average after a few years out, as the new format is undoubtedly tougher for heatleaders.

So long as its a re-assessment for ALL returning riders to the EL who haven't ridden here in a while.

So long as its a re-assessment for ALL returning riders to the EL who haven't ridden here in a while.

If it's been a few seasons then I mostly agree - and I mean both ways, as heatleaders and second strings who have been away from British speedway will be on false averages for opposite reasons. We'd have to be careful not to over compensate - but it probably won't happen anyway!

It's not exactly a new issue, it's just that I think the new format has highlighted it in more of a widespread way. I probably want an unachievable middle ground though! To be fair the second string averages from last season have been left alone so I doubt other riders will be weighted or re-assessed.

Edited by Mjolnir
  • Like 1

If it's been a few seasons then I mostly agree - and I mean both ways, as heatleaders and second strings who have been away from British speedway will be on false averages for opposite reasons. We'd have to be careful not to over compensate - but it probably won't happen though!

Its wishful thinking but what a great idea to get riders back to the EL. One can dream!

• Like 1

Its wishful thinking but what a great idea to get riders back to the EL. One can dream!

Haha ... we certainly can!

(I've just edited my original post but what you quoted is more or less the same, I just waffled a bit more)

Edited by Mjolnir
  • Like 1

I'm not quite sure how much inside knowledge this piece has, but it seems to suggest that Lakeside might be looking at Woodward http://www.swindonlinksport.com/swindon_sports_news/runnersandriders2015

Hope not. Agreed Cams a nice bloke and I wish him well, but Lakeside's need is for an all out No 1. Can't see what Cam can offer that is not already covered by Watt, King, Lawson or Nilsson. If any of them are changed it needs to be for someone with a bit more potential than CJW. Anyway, we have had the clearest hint from Jon Cooke that Lawson is nailed on and very possibly Nilsson . Would be very surprised , even shocked if Cam gets in.

Hope not. Agreed Cams a nice bloke and I wish him well, but Lakeside's need is for an all out No 1. Can't see what Cam can offer that is not already covered by Watt, King, Lawson or Nilsson. If any of them are changed it needs to be for someone with a bit more potential than CJW. Anyway, we have had the clearest hint from Jon Cooke that Lawson is nailed on and very possibly Nilsson . Would be very surprised , even shocked if Cam gets in.

I think Woodward will have a few offers in the EL, I'd take him as 2nd string.

So will this be the likely hammers team for 2015?

A.J,

Lawson

Watt

Swidersky

King

Birks

Ellis

Nice one Wiseguy - exactly the team I'm predicting.

Top 5 solid, with one big hitter. Going to be tough for us at reserve tho. Will need to get Ashley converted to small tracks, like Richard

Nice one Wiseguy - exactly the team I'm predicting.

Top 5 solid, with one big hitter. Going to be tough for us at reserve tho. Will need to get Ashley converted to small tracks, like Richard

On paper Lakeside should be stronger with Birks getting more points than Morley,away at least,but gutted Ben didn't get a pick

So will this be the likely hammers team for 2015?

A.J,

Lawson

Watt

Swidersky

King

Birks

Ellis

No. That team is more than 1.5 over the limit. Even if we assume Davey is back at Poole which seems more likely than not, and you replaced him with Kim Nilsson you would still be a bit over. To make that team fit you would either have to replace Watt with someone lower than 5.52 or bring in Nilsson to replace Watt and replace Swidderski with someone a 6.07 or lower. Simon Gustafsson would be ok if he hadn't decided to take a year out, but apart from him there is nobody I can think of that could really do a job. Cam Woodward would have fitted but he is too much of an accident waiting to happen for my liking, and unlikely to improve much anyway.

Of the riders in last years EL you could only make it fit by having Lasse Bjerre in place of Watt and keeping the others mentioned or bring in someone from new from abroad. We will have to wait and see but if AJ comes it seems to me that there will be a very long tail.

Although I'm not certain about the rules regarding this, is there no chance that AJ's average would be reassessed if he returns next season? He has been away for a few years now, and if I'm honest I don't think any rider would easily maintain that average in the new format.

I'm happy with Birks and Ellis - both of them are riders that I think will improve throughout the season. I do think that some of the other clubs have stronger pairings on paper (I won't comment any further than that), but anything can happen - look at some of the riders that Ben Morley beat last season! It's a shame that he won't be with us next season but I'm sure we'll see him if we need guests ... although hopefully that won't be too often!

Does Nilsson for King fit in that team?

No. King and Watt are virtually on the same CMA. So if you had either Watt or King I don't think you could have both Swidderski and Nilsson, you would have to have one or the other. Anyway, the Wolves thread says King has signed for an EL club and I am pretty sure that would be Lakeside, as the Hammers have first call on his services.

Although I'm not certain about the rules regarding this, is there no chance that AJ's average would be reassessed if he returns next season? He has been away for a few years now, and if I'm honest I don't think any rider would easily maintain that average in the new format.

I'm happy with Birks and Ellis - both of them are riders that I think will improve throughout the season. I do think that some of the other clubs have stronger pairings on paper (I won't comment any further than that), but anything can happen - look at some of the riders that Ben Morley beat last season! It's a shame that he won't be with us next season but I'm sure we'll see him if we need guests ... although hopefully that won't be too often!

A J would apprently come in on a 9.03, the same as PUK. Edited by Daytripper
  • Like 2