British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2015

I,m not too surprised the promotion are not making a big deal over the 50 th anniversary season the days of holding a celebration individual meeting are long gone Littlechild trophy Pride of the East meetings are long gone so why would holding a special meeting be any different - it's all about league meetings and play offs now - any celebration meeting would be a big financial risk - for me signing a new rider or two to get our season back on track is far more important and what better way to celebrate our 50th season than to win that Final .

I,m not too surprised the promotion are not making a big deal over the 50 th anniversary season the days of holding a celebration individual meeting are long gone Littlechild trophy Pride of the East meetings are long gone so why would holding a special meeting be any different - it's all about league meetings and play offs now - any celebration meeting would be a big financial risk - for me signing a new rider or two to get our season back on track is far more important and what better way to celebrate our 50th season than to win that Final .

Nobody is asking for an individual meeting.

What we thought may happen is some goings on for the league meetings. This is where it has drastically shown the loss of Johnny Chapman. During his time there were lots going on. Theme nights for kids, cheap airhorn events, fancy dress etc etc.

Remember, a massive thing was done around Busters 20th anniversary season. Us fans were hoping we'd get something to celebrate for 50 years. It's not a small issue, it's a massive landmark for King's Lynn Stars. Doing f'all is unacceptable imo

• Like 3

Buster seems to lost interest in speedway. He doesn't seem to have the passion he used to have. Speedway can be boring nowadays. No atmosphere and very little crowd noise.

guess that's why he's on the management committee then ??

Nobody is asking for an individual meeting.

What we thought may happen is some goings on for the league meetings. This is where it has drastically shown the loss of Johnny Chapman. During his time there were lots going on. Theme nights for kids, cheap airhorn events, fancy dress etc etc.

Remember, a massive thing was done around Busters 20th anniversary season. Us fans were hoping we'd get something to celebrate for 50 years. It's not a small issue, it's a massive landmark for King's Lynn Stars. Doing f'all is unacceptable imo

those theme nights was naff I thought can't see how that's a celebration of 50 seasons - I agree it's been low key so far - Mildenhall are celebrating there 40th season they have a 20heat individual meeting plus riders from past seasons in attendance I thought that's what was being hinted at .

Buster seems to lost interest in speedway. He doesn't seem to have the passion he used to have. Speedway can be boring nowadays. No atmosphere and very little crowd noise.

Surely your not blaming the atmosphere and crowd noise on Buster.That's down to us fans to create the noise and atmosphere.

• Like 2

Not blaming Buster for the demise of speedway. Rider interaction with fans stopped at lynn when the steel catch fence went up meaning no more high fives with the young fans after a race. No characters riding anymore so nothing for the fans to look forward to.

I think the high fives between the supporters and riders in the early norties was stopped because of Health and safety issues. With riders riding for 4/5 Clubs throughout Europe its all just guns for hire. The circus comes to Town on a Wed Nights and then moves on to the next gig.

Fo the fans its a Sport/Entertainment for the Riders & Promotions its a business.

Edited by semion

We all know that riders need to give more than just racing their bikes, they need to get into the head of fans and understand.Equally so the promoter should understand the needs of fans who have attended their stadium for 50 years of their lives, on an anniversary such as this the only ones that really count are those that have been supporters of a club for all those years. They have kept the club alive really, I know each promoter has put their money in but most have taken plenty out. Buster still has time to do something special for those, in particular, who have supported the Stars for 50 years. Of course to try to win the league is pretty paramount for him but little things count too 😊

Maybe he needs to talk to some of them to find out what they would like, I lay a bet that it would be nothing that costs anything!

• Like 1

I think the high fives between the supporters and riders in the early norties was stopped because of Health and safety issues. With riders riding for 4/5 Clubs throughout Europe its all just guns for hire. The circus comes to Town on a Wed Nights and then moves on to the next gig.

Fo the fans its a Sport/Entertainment for the Riders & Promotions its a business.

Correct. A few years ago (about 10 now) riders were told they could not high five riders due to health and safety issues! Bloody stupid, I remember at Newport the fans would often duck under the safty barrier, climb on the fence and wait for the riders to ride past and high five them - Anders Henriksson used to serious milk it and the fans would go mad for it! Then when I moved to Coventry you used to get a lot of it on the 1st and 2nd bend as the riders returned to the pits but very few riders do it these days.

Stupid IMO.

If I was a promoter I'd have some sort of bonus payment for riders pulling wheelies, doing donuts and to hell with it, high-fiving the fans. The kids love it (and a lot of adults too)

Edited by SCB

I was sitting in the 'Royal Box' a few meetings back, and there was a group of kids (with adults) who were actually told off by someone for making too much noise. They had whistles and air horns and were having a great time until some miserable old bugger told em to pipe down. I can be a grumpy sod at the best of times but even I thought that was unbelievable.

Can't blame Buster for that, fans have a responsibility to create a positive atmosphere too. More noise the better for me.

• Like 1

Correct. A few years ago (about 10 now) riders were told they could not high five riders due to health and safety issues! Bloody stupid, I remember at Newport the fans would often duck under the safty barrier, climb on the fence and wait for the riders to ride past and high five them - Anders Henriksson used to serious milk it and the fans would go mad for it! Then when I moved to Coventry you used to get a lot of it on the 1st and 2nd bend as the riders returned to the pits but very few riders do it these days.

Stupid IMO.

If I was a promoter I'd have some sort of bonus payment for riders pulling wheelies, doing donuts and to hell with it, high-fiving the fans. The kids love it (and a lot of adults too)

Agree with that.

We took our 8yr old grandson to Brandon on Friday and he was trying the "high five act" when the riders came back to the pits ,but complained that they "just left his hand hanging there" :lol: .However I think he enjoyed his evening, as he apparently ran into his parents room at 3am on Saturday waking them up and shouting 51-39 Dad.. :D

• Like 1

Stupid IMO.

Down at eastbourne in the NL you get all 14 riders riding round stock car track on parade all willing to high 5 fans on the home straight as they ride right by them, and again whoever wins at the end, they even started doing burnouts next to us. Not quite got the wheelie art down to a tee but mattie bates did do a donut yesterday. Edited by steven101
  • Like 1

At Lakeside on Friday there were loads of kids, unfortunately they were all bloody playing football LOL. I guess it is up to the parents and promoters and riders to engage them in the meeting ..... I failed to do that with 2\3 of my children!

Again at Lakeside Jon Cook got on the mic to introduce the riders and AJ rode round the stock car track on his own after being introduced as a World Cup Winner. The Hagon Shocks kids do their races before the meeting and at a point during the meeting they parade round the stock car track high fiving any fans standing on the back straight, it was all good stuff!

What was nice too at Lakeside was the fans applauding the away riders as a mark of respect, we are awful at Lynn, you can hear a pin drop during away intros, what are we like? Mind you the riders do tend to have their helmets on which doesn't encourage anyone to make any noise, they may be able to hear but it sure doesn't look like it, not sure this is the main reason mind, we just are not respectful or perhaps we take the guys for granted??

Edited by Trees

I was sitting in the 'Royal Box' a few meetings back, and there was a group of kids (with adults) who were actually told off by someone for making too much noise. They had whistles and air horns and were having a great time until some miserable old bugger told em to pipe down. I can be a grumpy sod at the best of times but even I thought that was unbelievable.

Can't blame Buster for that, fans have a responsibility to create a positive atmosphere too. More noise the better for me.

More fool "the family" if they complied................ my response to the miserable sod would have been along the lines of ......... "---- off, if you don't like noise DON'T come to a speedway meeting". I reckon I would have got the message across?