British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2015

One thing that WILL get crowds back is seeing young LOCAL riders coming through the ranks. It helps the fans to identify with the club.

It's absurd that a team might not be able to pick it's own assets in the FTD.

Other teams have had a WHOLE YEAR to build an asset base of young riders ahead of this years draft. Don't penalise clubs like Lynn and Coventry for having foresight.

Can you imagine AJAX or BARCELONA being told "sorry guys, you have nurtured this young talent for years in your academy but you cant pick them for your first team now as they have to play for other teams who couldn't be bothered to set up an academy themselves".

Only in speedway.

Assets protected, draft the rest in order of finishing positions. Not hard.

• Like 3

One thing that WILL get crowds back is seeing young LOCAL riders coming through the ranks. It helps the fans to identify with the club.

It's absurd that a team might not be able to pick it's own assets in the FTD.

Other teams have had a WHOLE YEAR to build an asset base of young riders ahead of this years draft. Don't penalise clubs like Lynn and Coventry for having foresight.

Can you imagine AJAX or BARCELONA being told "sorry guys, you have nurtured this young talent for years in your academy but you cant pick them for your first team now as they have to play for other teams who couldn't be bothered to set up an academy themselves".

Only in speedway.

Assets protected, draft the rest in order of finishing positions. Not hard.

If Lewis and rose were both in the 2nd tier of the draft system would you still have the same attitude and pick them both and have little chance of reaching the play offs or would you let one go and choose 1 from the 1st draft and have a chance of some team success.

Like Coventry this year i think i am right in saying that they have three assets in the 2nd tier but no 1st draft assets are you saying they should pick two second tier riders because they are their assets even though say without Garrity they would find it much harder to reach the play offs.What team will bring more fans through the gates a play off team or a team with 2 local youngsers in it with more chance of finishing in the lower end of the table.

• Like 1

has it been announced yet which 10 riders are making up each draft ? Will Other riders be added to the 2nd draft during the season. If a rider in the NL starts to shine through, would it not make sense to have added onto the list ?

Nothing official but it seems these are the Grade A riders.

Newman

Garrity

S.Worrall

Blackbird

Kerr

Auty

Birks

Roynon

Wright

Boxall

If Lewis and rose were both in the 2nd tier of the draft system would you still have the same attitude and pick them both and have little chance of reaching the play offs or would you let one go and choose 1 from the 1st draft and have a chance of some team success.

Like Coventry this year i think i am right in saying that they have three assets in the 2nd tier but no 1st draft assets are you saying they should pick two second tier riders because they are their assets even though say without Garrity they would find it much harder to reach the play offs.What team will bring more fans through the gates a play off team or a team with 2 local youngsers in it with more chance of finishing in the lower end of the table.

You make a good point, success does bring in crowds in the short term. Building an identity, a bond between club and fans is what will keep them coming back year after year when things aren't going so well though.

Clubs should have first dibs on their assets that's all, If they don't choose to pick them in favour of 'better' riders that's their choice.

Also, it's up to the clubs to develop the riders to a level where they are good enough for the EL and therefore they want to pick them.

Nothing official but it seems these are the Grade A riders.

Newman

Garrity

S.Worrall

Blackbird

Kerr

Auty

Birks

Roynon

Wright

Boxall

Be interesting to see which 2 get left out. If Lynn dont safe guard Kerr, there looks plenty of options. I would sill like to see Rob go with Rose, and any of at least 6 names on this list would fit well.

Be interesting to see which 2 get left out. If Lynn dont safe guard Kerr, there looks plenty of options. I would sill like to see Rob go with Rose, and any of at least 6 names on this list would fit well.

Unless you like the look of all 10 it could be a gamble with you having 7th pick.But having watch Rose every week and you feel he can really kick on next year i would agree with you because all 10 riders in the 1st draft will hold their own in my opinion far better than last year.

I am of the same mind i think we should keep Nielsen from the 2nd draft and with us having 2nd pick after taking out the protected riders there are still going to be some quality riders left to chose from in the 1st draft.

Isn't Roydon a Coventry asset ????

Any draft system will please some and anger others, it's the nature of the beast. I'd have liked to have seen something that encourages EL clubs to develop their own assets ( I appreciate not all clubs are able to do this in the same way). Something along the lines of in 2016 any rider that has been an asset of a club for 2 years can be protected without that club losing any places in the line to pick riders. i.e. if Rose were in the 2016 draft and had been an asset of Lynn for 2 years, he is protected but Lynn would retain their place in the pecking order to choose a rider from the other group. If a club has 2 such riders they can if they wish use those 2 riders and opt out of the draft. That is always assuming the riders involved are willing to ride for their club.

That way a club that develops a rider is not penalised and hopefully it will encourage EL clubs to develop their own riders.

Obviously it cannot be done for 2015 but if it was put into the rules now, no club would have an excuse, would they.

Edited by Star Lady

Each team gets 1 x A list rider & 1x B list rider

The 2 A list riders that don't get a pick will join the guest list.

Each club can only protect 1 rider asset in the whole FT system.

Very convenient Neil Vatcher becomes in charge of the FT & Adam Ellis appears on the B list so Lakeside will get 2 top reserves #fix

If there are 10 A list riders then two teams will get two A list riders,and only six B list riders will get a team.

• Like 1

Very convenient Neil Vatcher becomes in charge of the FT & Adam Ellis appears on the B list so Lakeside will get 2 top reserves #fix

Oh OK I see now,thank you for that,

A bit harsh on Lakeside, Adam Ellis fell away towards the end of last season, I think he had a few bad crashes. I remember an awful looking crash at the Showground when he riding for Ipswich - hit the fence on the back straight but thankfully walked away.) He'll be a strong rider in Pot 2 no doubt.

TBF Ellis is still only a 4.5 PL reserve, he's not that good. He's more potential than talent at the moment. He's certainly not a grade A rider and while he'll be one of the better B riders Lakeside will have one of the worst picks for an A rider.

Personally I'd protect Rose and take my chances with Kerr.....Boxall & Roynon are likely to be the leftovers so after everybody else has protected/selected from pot 1 the worst case scenario would be Wright or Birks if Kerr has already gone. The level of ability across the senior reserves this year is likely to be reasonably close unlike last season.

Protecting Kerr could result in Rose being long since picked in round two by the time Lynn get their choice and we could end up with a considerably weaker number 7.

• Like 2

Personally I'd protect Rose and take my chances with Kerr.....Boxall & Roynon are likely to be the leftovers so after everybody else has protected/selected from pot 1 the worst case scenario would be Wright or Birks if Kerr has already gone. The level of ability across the senior reserves this year is likely to be reasonably close unlike last season.

Protecting Kerr could result in Rose being long since picked in round two by the time Lynn get their choice and we could end up with a considerably weaker number 7.

Spot on .. pool one is much more even .