British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe 2015

An interesting selection of riders, personally I like being underdogs as most on here seem to think we will be, End of October will Rob be saying "told you we would be really good this season"???

Agree, although it will be the end of September rather than end of October, as Rob G's planning the play-off final for Sept next year. ;)

All the best

Rob

Auty: A 7 point PL rider but hopefully riding at Leicester will improve his gating.

Strange how he was on nearly 9.00 in 2012 then. ;) Josh had a tricky last season, due to lack of meetings (not having an EL team), a few bike niggles, and illness. Josh is a quality act, and easily has the ability to add at least a point to his starting average.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Strange how he was on nearly 9.00 in 2012 then. ;) Josh had a tricky last season, due to lack of meetings (not having an EL team), a few bike niggles, and illness. Josh is a quality act, and easily has the ability to add at least a point to his starting average.

All the best

Rob

Totally agree, Josh is one of the opposition riders i admire and I look forward to seeing at Armadale during the season. Not because he is amazing around the place, but he gives his all and has been in some good heats up here!

Well a surprise or two indeed!

David Howe -real no brainer his average last year made him too attractive to leave out and he went from strength to strength and rediscovered his appetite and form - likeable guy who will need to juggle his long track to push on again

, absolutely no reason why he can't hit 8+ this season and lead from the front!

Josh Auty - born winner if I had to have one guy in the trench it would be him (or Wilko now he's back) he had a quiet 2014 and was hit with a bit of loads of firm and health issues, he will surely take to the fore I reckon, if he could hate he'd be averaging 10+ and we'd all be bored to tears !

Ryan Douglas was sure to feature and hopefully he has time to get over his knee ligament injuries sustained in Oz - he has improved meeting by meeting and is a clever lad, learning all the time.

Carl Wilkinson - ever popular wherever he races, certainly wont feel his best days are behind him, he'll start steady and fly on, consistency will be Carl's goal for me, effort won't be an issue, has to deliver away with his experience.

Alex Davies was another rabbit out the bag on a budget savvy build. History would suggest hell race and score well, he will certainly be hungry for it after missing out in '14. That could be to Scunthorpe's advantage

Nike Lunna is a bit of a gamble but has good pedigree and his style will certainly get bums on seats, and off them watching him rude the boards! Think he'll hit his average - job done

Ellis Perks certainly raised an eyebrows or two on NL debut, at 3.00 he's another one who will entertain and should prove worth his average as a bare minimum - Aussies race and we've a few to chose from now ! Didn't hurt Poole !

Can't wait til tapes up - doesn't look the strongest on paper to start, but to coin a phrase from Rob - ' it's not how you start but how you finish that counts !"

Duffy

Edit Josh - form not firm and gate not hate - blooming itap

Ride the boards sp

If you ride three times a week which he will do most weeks ,last year he went sometimes weeks without a meeting he will be sharper confidence breeds money.

What are you on about! The comment was about his gating, well his inability to gate actually. His dad told me some years ago that one of the reasons he moved to Scunny was so that he'd get more track time, including gating practice which he considered one of his biggest weaknesses.

Has a look of a team done a budget.

You are always taking a gamble taking on more than one rider who is on an assessed average.

David Howe, is a good solid steady Premier League rider.

Josh Auty; Exciting to watch, and pure entertainment value, but his gating is his nemesis, and that lets him down and stunts his progress.

Alex Davies; Could be a good signing, looked to have the makings of a decent rider at Somerset in 2013, but might take his time to find his feet.

Ryan Douglas; Another very exciting entertaining rider, but at times looks out of control and reminds a lot of Nick Morris and could well take the number 1 spot at Scunthorpe.

Carl Wilkinson; Sorry cannot see him make much improvement and no where near as good as he was when he left the club.

Nike Lunna;What pedigree, someone show me where his results, I think he will struggle and will be nowhere near that assessed average.

Ellis Perks; On the surface looks to have the talent, but I think that he could have done with a better reserve partner as I think that he will be under pressure to score points and will need some settling period.

This team is nothing like the recent teams that Rob Godfrey has put together over the last couple of seasons , where you have 6 of the 7 scoring solidly, and I definitely think that with the track at Scunthorpe been so good I think this will be real leveller and there will be teams that might come away from the Eddie Wright with a victory who in past would not.

What are you on about! The comment was about his gating, well his inability to gate actually. His dad told me some years ago that one of the reasons he moved to Scunny was so that he'd get more track time, including gating practice which he considered one of his biggest weaknesses.

You don't have to be a genius to work out that gating is his Achilles heel,but this year he will get more meeting,s he will be sharper.And actually Leicester being a challenge to him might improve him technically most of the racy tracks at his best he is a force how many did he score at Sheffield last year? At the tighter tracks he has struggled but he could improve being at Leicester he might do that even at a worst scenario he will do well at reserve no doubts.

You are always taking a gamble taking on more than one rider who is on an assessed average.

Josh Auty; Exciting to watch, and pure entertainment value, but his gating is his nemesis, and that lets him down and stunts his progress.

Alex Davies; Could be a good signing, looked to have the makings of a decent rider at Somerset in 2013, but might take his time to find his feet.

Ryan Douglas; Another very exciting entertaining rider, but at times looks out of control and reminds a lot of Nick Morris and could well take the number 1 spot at Scunthorpe.

Carl Wilkinson; Sorry cannot see him make much improvement and no where near as good as he was when he left the club.

Nike Lunna;What pedigree, someone show me where his results, I think he will struggle and will be nowhere near that assessed average.

Ellis Perks; On the surface looks to have the talent, but I think that he could have done with a better reserve partner as I think that he will be under pressure to score points and will need some settling period.

This team is nothing like the recent teams that Rob Godfrey has put together over the last couple of seasons , where you have 6 of the 7 scoring solidly, and I definitely think that with the track at Scunthorpe been so good I think this will be real leveller and there will be teams that might come away from the Eddie Wright with a victory who in past would not.

Fair analysis.. Scunny's season will pretty much hinge on how the assessed riders perform...

Edited by WTF1

You don't have to be a genius to work out that gating is his Achilles heel,but this year he will get more meeting,s he will be sharper.And actually Leicester being a challenge to him might improve him technically most of the racy tracks at his best he is a force how many did he score at Sheffield last year? At the tighter tracks he has struggled but he could improve being at Leicester he might do that even at a worst scenario he will do well at reserve no doubts.

Yeah ok, but what was all that cr*p about 'confidence breeding money'???

Reading the Bullets appraisal and others I see folks are getting on board and realising that we can look forward to the new season. Plenty to enthuse over in this line up. Its not all about winning matches out of sight..the quality of racing and excitment has to come into it as well and we have some racers in the team. My hope is that injuries permitting we show some faith in the riders and give them time to come good. Especially Lunna & Perks. Personally I can take a defeat or two if we're competing and good to watch. I feel sure Rob will stick by his selection judgement and give everyone management riders and support the chance to get behind the Scorpions and build up the interest and support

at the EWR in 2015. For sure we have a track that will allow everyone to showcase the skill and daring in speedway.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1

Josh Auty is the one Scunny rider who I do not worry about. His time of racing with Tai, Tully and Richie Dennis in 2006/2007 was the best speedway one could see. Team mates but they had respect for each other, we were privileged to watch some fantastic racing. Josh couldn't gate then but it didn't stop him, he'd be up there at the end of the race and often getting the win. That's why I would say he'd get my vote for the most exciting rider anyday.

• Like 3

Confidence in most sports is a massive thing,if you can get on a roll earn some money that often means more money will go back into there aquipment is that easy anough for you to fathom Steve ??

Yes that's easy Enough for me to fathom, but getting back to my original post, will having better Equipment make Josh a better gater?

Your talking rubbish whatever it is you're trying to say, Josh has always had good gear and decent sponsorship. Without a doubt he is one of the most exiting riders to watch in the Premier League and has been for at least the last five years and yes he does always score well at Sheffield.

Did you have one too many sherbets last night!