British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe 2015

A very entertaining team if not going to be a successful one. It looks weaker than Glasgow & Rye imo and I doubt Glasgow will make the play-offs.

Howe: An obvious choice and reliable home and away but it remains to be seen if he can push his average over 8 having ridden nearly all of last year outside of a heat leader berth.

Davies: So apparently he's a racer and you understand why Rob signed him. But the large majority of his points came from Somerset home meetings and he's missed a year.

Auty: A 7 point PL rider but hopefully riding at Leicester will improve his gating.

Douglas: The only one with real potential to improve in the team tbh but that puts a lot of pressure on him. I'd start him alongside Davies and let Auty ride at number 5 and he might be number 1 by the end of the year.

Wilkinson: Should do ok at home and average about the same. Did Scorpions fans actually want to see him back though?

Lunna: As the outsider said, the team has been built around him. Imo given that I'd be impressed if he only loses 1 point on his average, that's a poor decision. But he's apparently a racer so hopefully he at least does ok at home.

Perks: Hopefully he feels no affects of his serious injury and he should do better than the last two 3.00 men signed, and that it isn't a year too early again. But if Lunna struggles to adapt suddenly Ellis has a lot of pressure on him, taking 5 rides every week.

• Like 1

I will be very surprised if that is the 1-7 Scunthorpe finish the season with.

Good to see Davies back in the country. Entertaining rider - good for PL Speedway, and very good news for any kebab shops in the Scunthorpe area.

• Like 1

Howe @ 7.50. Cheers Rob ...Forgot to update to end of season averages.

Islander15. From what I have found http://www.speedwayresults.com/rider.php?name=Alex&surname=Davies&season=2013 Alex did not score most of his points at home. Yes he scored well but similar to ours last year, home riders took points off each other but he consistently scored away between 5 & 8 & I would be happy with that again. 4 bikes to set up, probably 2 for Scunny, which should be similar to Somerset & 2 for other tracks, to me, seems well set up for the upcoming season.

Someone down south has missed out!!!!

Howe @ 7.50. Cheers Rob ...Forgot to update to end of season averages.

Islander15. From what I have found http://www.speedwayresults.com/rider.php?name=Alex&surname=Davies&season=2013 Alex did not score most of his points at home. Yes he scored well but similar to ours last year, home riders took points off each other but he consistently scored away between 5 & 8 & I would be happy with that again. 4 bikes to set up, probably 2 for Scunny, which should be similar to Somerset & 2 for other tracks, to me, seems well set up for the upcoming season.

Someone down south has missed out!!!!

From http://speedway-stats.co.uk/speedwaystats/Rider/329 in 2013 Alex averaged 8.18 at home without bonus points and 9.40 with bonus points and away he averaged 5.08 without bonus points and 5.92 with bonus points. I agree that he should go well round Scunny though.

Well the expected criticism has started I would say let's see what the season brings. Only reason i go to speedway is to be entertained and in that team the top five are all good value round the Ewr and Nike is meant to be a round the boards type so can see plenty of action to warm you even on the coldest evening. If I go home having been entertained the result to me is the last thing I think about.

• Like 3

Very poor team look the whipping boys so far!!

We not going to win the league but we will entertain. Its great to be all conquering but that can be a bit of a bore in itself. Some of the best racing I have seen has not always been from the winning teams. It is important to compete even if you loose and I think we can. It will interesting to see how the team develops. The management will have had an eye on costs and for me given the choice of expensive No1s and Euro hopping riders v a budget conscious team and speedway surviving I take the latter every day.

One thing I would like to see barring injuries and complete loss of form: is us sticking with this 1-7 and keeping faith. Again its a pretty much a UK based line up. To me a regular line up is important to supporters getting to know the team and backing them. Someone said they bet that the line up would not look anything like at the end of the season. It may well not; but we set out hoping it will surely?.

Edited by the outsider

Some surprise signings in there with potential to certainly entertain. Two un proven Reserves maybe a worry, so we need them to perform right from the start. Last season we had the luxury of a strong reserve and all who took that position gained a deal of confidence and plenty of points.

What we really need are good tracks and plenty of practise prior to league business, last year we were lack lustre and seemingly rusty at the start of the season-did we miss Press and practise sessions??? I am sure Rob will put plenty of dirt on the outside, as most of this team like to ride the boards!

Hopefully our riders will stay injury free all season, as that is a major contributor to a successful season and can make or break.

An interesting selection of riders, personally I like being underdogs as most on here seem to think we will be, End of October will Rob be saying "told you we would be really good this season"???

Edited by scunny1
  • Like 2

A cost conscious team that is understandable in the present circumstances. That said it does have the potential to be very exciting at home but may struggle to gain points away (Sheffield's signings so far look like they will not donate the usual away win next year :wink: ).

The change to three points for any home win will help, as a last heat decider ending in 46-44 will now garner a full house.

A long time to wait for the start of the season. :cry:

Well according to most "experts" on this forum" we're all doomed i tell thee" but at least there are some new faces , my only minor disappointment is that there is no high scoring no1 signed as you can't really count David Howe on a 7.50 average a no1 but let's all see what happens next season as this looks an entertaining side and isn't this the reason we all go to speedway to be entertained?

Will this team win the league - Probably not but they will give it a bloody good go

Will this team make the playoffs - Possibly its all about racking up the points especially at home

Will this team entertain - Thats a big fat Yes only David and Alex are the conservative riders and even they can do some spectacular stuff!! dont think the inside line will be used much this year!!

Will this team Win at home - Yes and would expect to win most meetings. At least 4 of the top 5 are capable and will be looking for Maximums at home

Will this team win away - Early on possibly not but again the top 5 on their day can score big anywhere. If we get meetings where they all click we can win away. Definitely will like the big away tracks more.

Will this team Cost a fortune - No which is the plan. Having seen comments on twitter saying glasgow are only just finishing paying the costs of winning the league a few years ago thanks to a wealthy backer!. Too many teams are living beyond their means in the hunt for glory that only 1 team can win.

This team has 4 assets, only 2/3 loan fees depending on the arrangment with poole for Perks so not expensive there. All riders are based in the UK so no expenses getting them in and out of the country. No prima donna riders demanding stupid payrates. Several crowd favorites so hopefully will get some regular fans back. Exciting riders so hopefully get fans back, and a couple of younger riders which might get some younger fans interested

Overall assesment - Pretty happy with it. A sensible team to be cost effective and exciting. A lot will depend on how well the reserves settle but we will give them time to hopefully and write us off at your peril!!

A very good summary.

Just to add that I think that Josh will have a much improved 2015. He's going to be busier with Elite meetings and I think that will suit him. Also, I think we forget his health problems this year and if he's 100% healthy then watch out.

Probably on the assumption that you have to learn to gate there otherwise you dont win races!!!!

Can't see him winning many there then!

Last time I saw him ride there (for Sheffield) the mic man couldn't even get his name right - announced him as Joss Autry - every time! Having said that he couldn't pronounce Kauko Neimanens name, and he was their number one!

Hope they've got somebody better on the mic now.