British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2015

Islander15

Well there are plenty of young up and coming hopefuls now signed for other clubs. Look at the lists on the Speedway GB site'

Oh?

I presume you are talking Clegg Phillips Greaves etc. All very well but, these lads need to want to come from up north drive past at least 4 NL Birmingham/Cradley, Stoke, Cov tracks to get to Eastbourne. Get real !

Oh as for unnecessary comments. Mine was referring to the Eastbourne Speedway team on a speedway discussion forum. You're was a personal attack that had nothing to do with speedway. Hypocritical or what?

With respect you come on and make very sarky comments, some would call much of what you post downright rude. You can't then really accuse someone who points this out to you as launching a "personal attack". Are we all meant to grit our teeth and think it's okay that you post in this way more or less all the time?

And it is about Speedway - it's not saying you're a bad person in your every day life it's saying that on this Speedway forum this is exactly how you behave.

As an Arlington regular, but not an eagles fan, I would say this eastbourne side needs a couple of exciting riders that are going to progress, like Ayres and Shanes at kent. It's going to be a hard sell trying to convince some fans used to a diet of EL racing to attend Arlington next season. I will be there, I just hope enough people are willing to give NL a try.

Edited by cityrebel

Oh?

I presume you are talking Clegg Phillips Greaves etc. All very well but, these lads need to want to come from up north drive past at least 4 NL Birmingham/Cradley, Stoke, Cov tracks to get to Eastbourne. Get real !

The current side (so far) is very different to what Martin said it would be, maybe he should 'get real'?

Are you sure you got those in the right order?

Opps. Reading it I haven't :D

With respect you come on and make very sarky comments, some would call much of what you post downright rude. You can't then really accuse someone who points this out to you as launching a "personal attack". Are we all meant to grit our teeth and think it's okay that you post in this way more or less all the time?

And it is about Speedway - it's not saying you're a bad person in your every day life it's saying that on this Speedway forum this is exactly how you behave.

It's a speedway discussion forum, I discuss speedway. So I'm not a blow smoke up everyones backside and say how great everything and evertone is is but I'm realistic. Where credit is deserved I give it. The basic rules of any forum are to stay on topic and to respond to the post and not the person. You have failed in both elements there.

If you don't agree with my post, discuss it. So far you have been unable to point out how signing 3 off the 4 mentioned so far in any way tie in with the suggestion of local, young riders. Ok Dave Mason is local, Marc Owen is local and young but the other two really push it. 1 of Warwick, Johnson or Mason I get but signing teams pull of older riders in the NL is not the route to success - look at the NL the last few years and you'll see the teams that do well have young, improving rider in them. While Warwick and Mason will be that nice older, more experienced head to call on and help out, a team full of that sort of rider is doomed to failure.

Who would you have signed to meet the statement?

I wouldn't have made the statement if I couldn't back it up.

As an Eagles fan I have every confidence in Martin and Connor Dugard that they know what they are doing and I am quite happy with the signings so far.

This side has a 3rd Division "Dad's army"/never will be's/ journeymen look about it!

Marc Owen is the only one out of the 4 signed that can say with any honesty that he can realistically look to move to a level beyond the 3rd Division and hes been riding for a few years without be one of the top youngsters around!

I presume one of the last 3 remaining places will go to the Dugard boy who rides and the other 2 have to be young up and coming 3-4 pointers who have serious potential!

After 23 years of continuous top flight speedway, before that 16 years of 2nd Division speedway with a 5 year top flight spell in the middle of those 2nd Division seasons, regulars at Eastbourne have had a rich diet which means that next years move into the 3rd Division has to be done with a decent team challenging at the top of the League to ensure crowds don't dip under the 400 mark!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

Dave Mason at No 1, Tedham at da Stoke place, good to see da 36 point limit is giving more chances to da kids

Well done :t::t::t::t::t::t::t:

Oh ya and to say dis proves Elite (haha) promoters ave no idea whats happening in da National League and MDL with da youngsters coming through

David Mason has been a tremendous servant to the 3rd Division through all of its various incarnations over 20 years, indeed one of its best ever riders and I'm sure he'll score more than OK around the tight confines of Arlington which I suspect will catch out many of the throttle merchant inexperienced riders, but hes not a No1 nowadays!

Look at last season with Kent. He averaged about 9 at home and about 5 away where many of performances were poor at best!

I could understand siging Mason as a back up to a strong No1, but with Eastbourne dropping down they needed exactly that, a No1 capable of being at the top of the League averages and a team capable of seriously challenging for the title!

Like I've said before, I hope the venture into the 3rd Division works out well for Eastbourne speedway because surely the future of speedway at Arlington depends on it, but the team has a very unappealling, mid table at best look about it!

Edited by 25yearfan

Yeah sure, I think Eastbourne will win most of their home matches simply because the tight confines of Arlington will offer a lot of home track advantage and many away riders will overshoot the corners which will allow the technical riders like Mason and Johnson to get points just by holding the line. But away from home the team could find getting harder with Mason the No1 a definate "homer" who doesn't travel well.

But many fans especially those who've seen Eastbourne win the top flight on a number of occasions and be the stand out team of the mid to late 1980's 2nd Division will be very sceptical about 3rd Division racing and will no doubt only take to it if Eastbourne are seriously challenging at the top which at present looks unlikely!

Nowadays for the worse I think, winning has become the be all and end all in League speedway. I remember watching Norwich in the early 1960's when we had 2 reserves called Reg Trott (latterly rode for Eastbourne in the early 70's!) and Derek Strutt who never scored much at all particularly away from home but stayed in the team for a number of years cause in them days we liked seeing regular line ups. In modern times both of them would of lasted a season at the most!

Its not been easy for Eastbourne to build a side from scratch, firstly with the 36 point limit (but that applies to every team), secondly they are in competition geographically with Kent and to an extent with Rye House, yeah maybe they missed out on Adam Ellis but did he want to ride on a track with Arlingtons shape ? plus Brum had a ready connection with Adam Through Phil Morris & Neil Vatcher. I think they could have attempted to sign Luke Chessell who 2 weeks ago said he had not signed for anyone at that time, plus Benji Compton would have given them a stronger No1 especially away from home, but we dont know if attempts were made to sign these riders.

greyhoundp i presume you are not a eastbourne supporter

Correct i am not, so lets see who they could have signed, Ben Morley was never going to leave Kent, James Cockle pretty much the same as what Easty have already signed, Dan Greenwood Likewise, Jon Armstrong again the same as the previous two, Dan Halsey never going to leave Mildenhall, Adam Ellis i think he prefers a Track other than Eastbourne, Max Clegg & Nathan Greaves leave Cradley for Eastbourne ? I very much doubt it, Josh Bates & Sarjeant not doing NL this season. So of all the No1s they didnt appear to have much choice. Possibility maybe Mills could have been tempted.

Lets look at the lower order, James Shanes they missed out on him to Kent, Aaron Baseby happy at Kent, Jack Kingston happy at Mildenhall, Coles more than happy at Mildenhall, i could go on but Im not going to check team signings just to prove a point that Eastbourne didnt have much choice.

Granted Eastbourne dont appear to have a greatly attractive Team, but they should be able to finish mid table, and when Rye House finally name there Team, that will prove how difficult it has been this season to build a team, especially from scratch.

Correct i am not, so lets see who they could have signed, Ben Morley was never going to leave Kent, James Cockle pretty much the same as what Easty have already signed, Dan Greenwood Likewise, Jon Armstrong again the same as the previous two, Dan Halsey never going to leave Mildenhall, Adam Ellis i think he prefers a Track other than Eastbourne, Max Clegg & Nathan Greaves leave Cradley for Eastbourne ? I very much doubt it, Josh Bates & Sarjeant not doing NL this season. So of all the No1s they didnt appear to have much choice. Possibility maybe Mills could have been tempted.

Lets look at the lower order, James Shanes they missed out on him to Kent, Aaron Baseby happy at Kent, Jack Kingston happy at Mildenhall, Coles more than happy at Mildenhall, i could go on but Im not going to check team signings just to prove a point that Eastbourne didnt have much choice.

Granted Eastbourne dont appear to have a greatly attractive Team, but they should be able to finish mid table, and when Rye House finally name there Team, that will prove how difficult it has been this season to build a team, especially from scratch.

All pointless conjectur no fact man, just guessing :neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral:

Money talks and da Eastbourne can a least match most there

All pointless conjectur no fact man, just guessing :neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral:

Money talks and da Eastbourne can a least match most there

Ya Money does talk, remind me why Eastbourne dropped down?, not one but TWO divisions.

An excellent response greyhoundp.