British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2015

Islander15

I'd like to second islander 15 's comment.I knew someone who sponsored him, and he waved us off as we caught the bus back to Ryde pier head.

A few days later he was in hospital fighting for his life. When he won the under 19 at Somerset a year later it was one of the most emotional nights of speedway I 've ever experienced.

I remember it well Arnie, a wonderful evening and a highly emotional one as you say.

What to do, sweep up? Smart retired and he and Hopwood were clearly out of their depth. There'll be no chance for Johnson in this years draft. Anyway continue with your delusions about him.

I remember someone saying Luke Priest was a shining star until he nearly killed himself. Surely the sport needs to give back to these lads who have nearly paid the ultimate price......No!!!! much better to just toss them aside and move on to the next one

• Like 2

If Brendan had have ridden for Rye, you would know how friendly and open to fan interaction he is.

The old, "nice guy" line. Don't they day nice guys finish last?

Surely speedway riders are signed because they're good speedway riders. No nice guys. If I want friends I don't pay to go to a speedway meeting and I'm pretty sure most others don't. I've not connected on his being nice or not - he clearly is as nobody says different.

Surely speedway riders are signed because they're good speedway riders. No nice guys. If I want friends I don't pay to go to a speedway meeting and I'm pretty sure most others don't. I've not connected on his being nice or not - he clearly is as nobody says different.

while I agree speedway is about performance and results matter one thing that is lacking in modern speedway is fans can't relate to riders and riders who do make that connection are much needed in the sport at every level ,I'm not referring to Brendon in particular but if he falls into the bracket then that's all good
  • Like 4

Following on from what Dean has said, that's why I think you should have one rider who can relate to fans in your team. I'm talking generally here but one rider who rides like anything other than Wolbert for Glasgow, isn't going to make a league winning team a losing one but they can make a losing one appear at least like they're trying for their club and for the fans.

The Eagles have signed some good rider I can't see why people worried about bdj and Danny w Danny been doing grasstrack he will be fine as for bdj he will be a good signing and a good young team man he get to much stick but then. Again like most people you will all type it on here but not go and say it to his face.

The Eagles have signed some good rider I can't see why people worried about bdj and Danny w Danny been doing grasstrack he will be fine as for bdj he will be a good signing and a good young team man he get to much stick but then. Again like most people you will all type it on here but not go and say it to his face.

In Martin Dugard's statement when Eastbourne's entry into the league was announced, he states that it is his intention to "make stars", so far he seems to have signed riders who are career National Leaguers. Obviously there will be other signings and the new minimum start average means that you can't start with a team of beginners. So we'll all see what the final line-up is and hopefully it'll be a lot nearer to what he said, than it is now. Don't make daft assumptions about what people might say to someone's face, you really don't know and this IS a forum where people are allowed to express their opinion.

What a lot of people seem to be missing is Eastbourne have dropped 2 leagues and their fans need to be convinced that the NL is the thing for them so they need the team to be relatively successfull ,they need to win fans over which is no easy thing ,in Danny and Brendon they have 2 riders who are great at bonding with fans and will score very well especially at home

• Like 1

Brendon Johnsons a decent nice lad whos friendly, professional and reliable, but he's never going to go any further than 3rd tier level (please prove me wrong Brendon!). That said hes got lots of experience at Eastbourne, can turn a bike hard so should be able to score well at Arlington!

Danny Warwicks also a decent guy whos approachable. Hes also very quick especially on the big tracks and on the grass and beach racing. It will be interesting to see if he can get used to the tight confines of Arlington although even if he doesn't he'll still be able to get the better of many riders there!

Fingers crossed that National League speedway at Eastbourne on a Sunday can be sustainable. Crowds of 500+ should be achieveable on a Sunday afternoon especially on a nice day!

Edited by 25yearfan

What an unnecessary comment. Do you get some kind of a kick out of going onto different threads and being so cynical?

Why is it unnecessary? If someone posts what a great signing a rider is, is that unnecessary? Dave Mason has been getting worse for years, its hard a surprise at his age. When Eastbourne announced they were going NL they were going to bring in a load of up and coming youngsters. They have now signed Mason , Warwick and Johnson who have been riding for 20, 15 and 8 years respectively. Hardly what they were promised or what the NL is about is it?

Oh as for unnecessary comments. Mine was referring to the Eastbourne Speedway team on a speedway discussion forum. You're was a personal attack that had nothing to do with speedway. Hypocritical or what?

Edited by SCB

Why is it unnecessary? If someone posts what a great signing a rider is, is that unnecessary? Dave Mason has been getting worse for years, its hard a surprise at his age. When Eastbourne announced they were going NL they were going to bring in a load of up and coming youngsters. They have now signed Warwick, Mason and Johnson who have been riding for 20, 15 and 8 years respectively. Hardly what they were promised or what the NL is about is it?

Oh as for unnecessary comments. Mine was referring to the Eastbourne Speedway team on a speedway discussion forum. You're was a personal attack that had nothing to do with speedway. Hypocritical or what?

Are you sure you got those in the right order?

Why is it unnecessary? If someone posts what a great signing a rider is, is that unnecessary? Dave Mason has been getting worse for years, its hard a surprise at his age. When Eastbourne announced they were going NL they were going to bring in a load of up and coming youngsters. They have now signed Warwick, Mason and Johnson who have been riding for 20, 15 and 8 years respectively. Hardly what they were promised or what the NL is about is it?

Who would you have signed to meet the statement?

Edited by TMW