British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

Marvellous contradiction there Screm, top notch!

Peter did have an real knack for picking up unexpected riders and turning them around.

This current season saw similar cases with Jensen and Kus.

Looking forward, I wonder what will be "pulled out of the bag" for this coming season?

I think someone mentioned Pepe earlier on, and I agree with you, we need to progress, not regress.

Don't see the contradiction myself, but I am not racked with everyones ideas being suspicious. I agree with Screm, we should always look to the future, but use history as a lesson, learn from the good ideas and reject the bad ideas. As said P.W. was a master at finding a rider on loan who had something to prove, but as soon as they had proved it, drop them and find another. Unfortunately the current administration have the ability to find that type of rider but instead of getting rid of after they have proven themselves, they keep the said rider for the next season and in some cases three seasons. There is a lesson to be learned from the likes of P.W.

• Like 1

Don't see the contradiction myself, but I am not racked with everyones ideas being suspicious. I agree with Screm, we should always look to the future, but use history as a lesson, learn from the good ideas and reject the bad ideas. As said P.W. was a master at finding a rider on loan who had something to prove, but as soon as they had proved it, drop them and find another. Unfortunately the current administration have the ability to find that type of rider but instead of getting rid of after they have proven themselves, they keep the said rider for the next season and in some cases three seasons. There is a lesson to be learned from the likes of P.W.

is this the same PW who when he announced his departure on the centre green there was an audible 'get in' from the stand came from in front of the refs box if I'm not mistaken Edited by Goodiepatchie
  • Like 1

That's the reason most riders are in their respective teams!!!! :D

Yes but when they're fast track riders the options are limited for a team looking to replace a rider , Compton wasn't at Poole due to his ability was he ?

is this the same PW who when he announced his departure on the centre green there was an audible 'get in' from the stand came from in front of the refs box if I'm not mistaken

Very probably, and the person who cared least would've been Peter himself, though to keep speedway going for as long as he did he should be at least given some credit for that.

• Like 2

I quote: "...no point in looking to by gone days other than to learn lessons from...".

In other words, "there is no point in looking back except when there is a point".

​Splendid contradiction!

​Anyway, yes there is always merit in looking to the past in an attempt to progress.

One thing from the past that is abundantly clear is that no matter who is in charge of Berwick Speedway, the exact same people will complain about it's operation and performance.

The psychological aspect of that is marvellous :)

Back to your assessment of the Waite era, I wouldn't think there are many promoters anywhere that couldn't learn something from Peter.

He was even a match for Ian Thomas on occasion!

This promotion could learn a lot from PW they have worked wonders on improving the race surface, bringing big meetings to Shielfield, getting our stadium FIM approved and making it a fun family night out.

But on the track it has rarely came to fruition up until last season, we had 5 seasons of mediocre teams and terrible signings now after last season is the time to make a statement and get in to the play offs again

Instead of being the nice guys and not sacking riders and just signing riders because there nice guys it's time to be a bit more cut and thrust a bit more PW, if this is a make or break season for Berwick Speedway it's time to bin Allen and sign someone else, someone proven it'd be really nice if they would bin TJ but that won't happen that's just my fantasy world

I would sign Pepe as he will put points on his average sometimes you have to go back to go forwards.

• Like 2

This promotion could learn a lot from PW they have worked wonders on improving the race surface, bringing big meetings to Shielfield, getting our stadium FIM approved and making it a fun family night out.

But on the track it has rarely came to fruition up until last season, we had 5 seasons of mediocre teams and terrible signings now after last season is the time to make a statement and get in to the play offs again

Instead of being the nice guys and not sacking riders and just signing riders because there nice guys it's time to be a bit more cut and thrust a bit more PW, if this is a make or break season for Berwick Speedway it's time to bin Allen and sign someone else, someone proven it'd be really nice if they would bin TJ but that won't happen that's just my fantasy world

I would sign Pepe as he will put points on his average sometimes you have to go back to go forwards.

surely they won't risk an unknown rider on a seven point average

surely they won't risk an unknown rider on a seven point average

Its a gamble right enough, maybe signing Allen now might look like smart business in a season or two when he moves to an EL club and Berwick get a transfer fee that they can invest in the club.

• Like 2

I still can't quite believe the negativity on here.

The current promotion have won us the PL Fours, and we have just had a top 4 finish.

Massive improvements in other areas, and the intention to keep improving on and off track.

In terms of results, we're far from the heady heights of The Capital Monarchs in recent years, but considering it is a wee half-English town we do not bad at all.

Rest of the team aside, I am relishing seeing Ben Barker as our No 1.

I would like to see Jake Allen in the team, but I guess this is out of the Promotion's hands at the moment.

It's impossible to make any predictions with less than half of the team announced, so I am going to continue looking forward to the season, because - after all - there is no point in looking back.

• Like 3