British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

To answer your points:

1. "Barker was loaned to Berwick, until he got injured then Berwick took him out of the 1 - 7"

This misses my point - that it wasn't so much that Berwick dropped him, more the case that Barker declared himself unfit for the rest of the season, and it was only then that Berwick 'dropped' him, however according to the Berwick statement they say they made clear to Barker that upon his recovery his team place would still be there.

Under those particular circumstances the least Barker could have done was to even make just one 'courtesy call' phone call to Berwick rather than just swan off elsewhere.

Your point that: "so, when he signed for Peterborough, he wasnt on loan at the Bandits" - again this misses my point that this was brought about by Barker's self-declaration to Berwick that his season was over. Also key to this is that Berwick say in their statement that they made clear to Barker that upon recovery from injury his team place would still be there.

2. I'm fully aware of how contracts work, and I did use the 'may' when I myself referred to his loan terms. However that misses my point that were it not for the injury - and Barker's self-declaration to Berwick that his season was over due to injury - then Barker would still be under his loan conditions. In other words, the sole reason for Barker being 'dropped' was Barker's own declaration as to fitness and that his season was over.

3. I agree that he may or may not have misled Berwick, and would probably have been based upon medical advice. However, ultimately it seems Barker declared to Berwick that his season was over due to injury and it was for that sole reason that Berwick 'dropped' him. However, also key here is that Berwick say in their statement that they made clear to Barker that should he recover then his place was still there. That is where it seems to me that Barker should have had the grace to at least make a 'courtesy call' telephone call to Berwick - if he's a 'hired hand' then fine, but he was still being given employment by Berwick. I've been in the situation of being freelance myself but I know I would have given far more courtesy to a client - even if I didn't 'technically' need to do so. That's where it stinks to high heaven to me. Barker seems to be morally bereft in my eyes and he doesn't come out of this well at all.

4. It may mot stink to you and that's fine, but it sure does stink to high heaven to me.

Not sure about "he wasn't on loan to Berwick" comment. When you loan a rider, you either stipulate a period(like 28 days), or a whole season for which a scaled payment is calculated and paid. If Barker moves on to another club, it is Berwick that holds this registration for all of the season, and for who gets the new loan payment from Peterborough. The only difference being if Berwick, and Barkers registration holding club, have agreed a reduced loan fee, and handed Barker back to them.

• Like 1

Did Peter Collins ever race at Berwick, maybe not in an actual league meeting but in some demonstration races.

He may well have done,he was riding at the end of the Maury Robinson era and I saw the bandits at Rochdale,so he probably went up there

,!

Edited by kbt

When Rochdale last visited Shielfield Park in 1971, the score was Berwick 60 Rochdale 18. Peter Collins was not in the team. The top scorer for the Hornets was Paul Tyrer with 7 points.

In the 70's Berwick had a number of Div1 stars in match races,not sure if Collins was involved but don't think so.Briggs Mauger McMillan are one that I can remember but there were more.

Draw has been made for the up and coming Under-19 Championships.

1 Connor Mountain

2 Luke Ruddick

3 Josh Bailey

4 Max Clegg

5 Danyon Hume

6 Zach Wajtknecht

7 Michael Neale

8 Alfie Bowtell

9 Layne Cupitt

10 Ellis Perks

11 Alex Wilson

12 Jack Parkinson-Blackburn

13 Josh Bates

14 Danny Phillips

15 Ryan Kinsley

16 Liam Carr

Of the sixteen its only Carr, Bates, Clegg, Ruddick, Perks, that has ever tasted the delights of Shielfield on anything like a regular bases. Carr must start a favourite IMO.

Depends on the format,is it 5rides and top points wins,or semi final and final which could throw up an odd result, Wajtknecht could spring a surprise.Clegg or Bates are my choice if Bates can stay on and not take anybody out in his style.Hope Liam has a good one though.
  • Like 1

Luke's the man, has a fantastic style around every track, hope he can score a few points, he's under no pressure though at the age of 17 he has plenty time to develop, good luck Liam as well, don't let that dirty Bates anywhere near you all night, even on the podium hopefully, my prediction is Carr Clegg Bates

More very sad cheap shots from the usual pair.

Becoming a bit of a laughing stock at the moment.

:party:

Again your reading more to my last post than is necessary, I agreed with a post about Berwick`s news letter saying they get their information out, where`s the "cheap shot" in that. :blink:

Not sure about "he wasn't on loan to Berwick" comment. When you loan a rider, you either stipulate a period(like 28 days), or a whole season for which a scaled payment is calculated and paid. If Barker moves on to another club, it is Berwick that holds this registration for all of the season, and for who gets the new loan payment from Peterborough. The only difference being if Berwick, and Barkers registration holding club, have agreed a reduced loan fee, and handed Barker back to them.

The words you are highlighting and disagreeing with are not my words - they are in quotes as they are Steve Park's words, I was only answering them.

Cheers

• Like 1