British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

What's worse is that the riders who he was riding with/against was a much better standard of riders to that of Shielfield park last night, he clearly doesn't want to be here so why bother

a national league guest would be more determined and probably better than Alex edberg going by his current run of form Edited by Goodiepatchie
  • Like 2

To be honest given some of Edbergs performances this season he shouldve been dropped many weeks ago, doesn't seem to be comfortable on the track at times and seems low on confidence, though on the plus side he did complete all his rides last night. :)

Haven't been there myself, but speaking to Berwick fans last night who had been there on Friday night, Scunthorpe isn't the most prosperous of areas and is suffering badly at the moment and the track is out of the town centre. Just what they had picked up from speaking to locals.

Me having lived in Scunthorpe all my life until recently moving to Berwick it obvious the differences.

1st difference is that there aren't as many hardcore fans in scunny as there are in Berwick so you don't get the people wishing to shell out for it.

Secondly the track isn't situated in the town so it's harder to access which means you don't get everybody going back to the pub afterwards to talk and enjoy the meeting.

I honestly believe it has some of the best racing in the country and any that I have witnessed can recall countless classics at the EWR, if only it had the fan base and facilities with the B&G like shielfield would make it top class

Isn't the issue that:

1. Barker was loaned to Berwick - for the whole of the 2015 season - therefore not contractually available to be loaned to other Prem clubs including Peterborough

2. Barker wasn't so much "dropped" by Berwick - rather wasn't it Barker who effectively dropped himself of his own volition by declaring to Berwick that his season was over due to injury - so on that basis Berwick should surely have first refusal upon Barker's return to fitness. In the wider world if a worker phones in "sick" for the week or the month or whatever and part way through there is some miraculous recovery surely it doesn't give the worker freedom to just swan off and instead work for somebody else. The worker would surely have to go through the proper channels and follow proper procedures of such as giving notice or asking permission or the like.

3. It seems to me Barker has misled Berwick and/or ridden roughshod over proceedings, i.e. he's either misled Berwick as to the extent of his injury to begin with - and which was the only reason Berwick 'dropped' him (they do say in their statement that Barker knew and was made aware that upon his return from injury his place would still be there), or alternatively if Barker didn't mislead Berwick re his initial estimate of his injury and he's had some better than expected recovery (which is of course to the good) then surely Barker should have had the decency to at least consult with Berwick and discuss it with them first - rather than just swanning off elsewhere without so much as a 'courtesy call' phone call. The Berwick statement does appear to show that Barker did exactly that - no consultation with Berwick whatsoever, which doesn't seem to me to be morally right at all. And it may also be a breach of Barker's loan terms / contract.

Something doesn't smell right with this and it seems as if Berwick are right to feel aggrieved and right to issue the statement in all of its explanatory detail - it does appear as if Barker has conducted himself very poorly on this one.

Oh so wrong on all of your statement

• Like 2

Isn't the issue that:

1. Barker was loaned to Berwick - for the whole of the 2015 season - therefore not contractually available to be loaned to other Prem clubs including Peterborough

2. Barker wasn't so much "dropped" by Berwick - rather wasn't it Barker who effectively dropped himself of his own volition by declaring to Berwick that his season was over due to injury - so on that basis Berwick should surely have first refusal upon Barker's return to fitness. In the wider world if a worker phones in "sick" for the week or the month or whatever and part way through there is some miraculous recovery surely it doesn't give the worker freedom to just swan off and instead work for somebody else. The worker would surely have to go through the proper channels and follow proper procedures of such as giving notice or asking permission or the like.

3. It seems to me Barker has misled Berwick and/or ridden roughshod over proceedings, i.e. he's either misled Berwick as to the extent of his injury to begin with - and which was the only reason Berwick 'dropped' him (they do say in their statement that Barker knew and was made aware that upon his return from injury his place would still be there), or alternatively if Barker didn't mislead Berwick re his initial estimate of his injury and he's had some better than expected recovery (which is of course to the good) then surely Barker should have had the decency to at least consult with Berwick and discuss it with them first - rather than just swanning off elsewhere without so much as a 'courtesy call' phone call. The Berwick statement does appear to show that Barker did exactly that - no consultation with Berwick whatsoever, which doesn't seem to me to be morally right at all. And it may also be a breach of Barker's loan terms / contract.

Something doesn't smell right with this and it seems as if Berwick are right to feel aggrieved and right to issue the statement in all of its explanatory detail - it does appear as if Barker has conducted himself very poorly on this one.

Let's (from an ousiders view) break this down:

1 - Barker was loaned to Berwick, until he got injured then Berwick took him out of the 1 - 7, so, when he signed for Peterborough, he wasnt on loan at the Bandits and therefore entitled to sign for the Panthers (or anybody else, in fact).

2 - Who "dropped" Ben barker has nothing to do with it. the Worker thing is a red herring on your part. I'd have a sick-note saying I'm off for a month (or whatever) but If I sign back off the sick before then, I can still go and work for who I like - depending on the contract. Barker isn';t employed by Berwick so is under no pressure to go back there at all.

3 - Barker may or not have misled Berwick. He was told his season was prob over and reported such to Bandits. Medical opinion can be often wrong and this one of those cases it seems to me.

Nothing smells iffy.

• Like 2

1 - Barker was loaned to Berwick, until he got injured then Berwick took him out of the 1 - 7, so, when he signed for Peterborough, he wasnt on loan at the Bandits and therefore entitled to sign for the Panthers (or anybody else, in fact).

2 - Who "dropped" Ben barker has nothing to do with it. the Worker thing is a red herring on your part. I'd have a sick-note saying I'm off for a month (or whatever) but If I sign back off the sick before then, I can still go and work for who I like - depending on the contract. Barker isn';t employed by Berwick so is under no pressure to go back there at all.

3 - Barker may or not have misled Berwick. He was told his season was prob over and reported such to Bandits. Medical opinion can be often wrong and this one of those cases it seems to me.

Nothing smells iffy.

Just the conspiracy theorists that is.

• Like 1

Nothing smells iffy.

The part that I don't understand in this is the loan agreement, I was led to believe as was the case with scunny at the start of the year when we loaned Howie from Wolves that he effectively became your asset for the season, the is was also said by rob on the website. So when Glasgow came in for Howie they had to speak to rob to get the number and permission, I don't understand the differences between what has happened with Howie and Barker ?

Nothing smells iffy.

Spot on post. Some people on here are trying to make something out of nothing.

It made no sense to Berwick or Ben to come back for a couple of meetings.

I'm chuffed to see him back and fit so quickly after a horrific crash.

• Like 2

Spot on post. Some people on here are trying to make something out of nothing.

It made no sense to Berwick or Ben to come back for a couple of meetings.

I'm chuffed to see him back and fit so quickly after a horrific crash.

I have no problem with Ben going elsewhere for the reasons given,but I find it hard to fathom his interview on centre green, why he just didn't explain the possibility of him to another club if he felt fit enough.I can't believe that either him or the Berwick management had no idea this was possibility .A lot of fans will feel let down by the way it was conducted.
  • Like 2

I have no problem with Ben going elsewhere for the reasons given,but I find it hard to fathom his interview on centre green, why he just didn't explain the possibility of him to another club if he felt fit enough.I can't believe that either him or the Berwick management had no idea this was possibility .A lot of fans will feel let down by the way it was conducted.

I agree with you, given his injury its great to see Barker back, but you`d think he either could've mentioned it to the Berwick promotion or could've announced it during his interview during the meeting with sheffield. I am sure he would know he was signing for Peterborough.

http://berwickbandits.co/article/memories-berwick-speedway-dvd

Remember to bring those extra pennies next Saturday.

On the Saturday that Ben was at Berwick he had already been at Redcar practicing in the afternoob so for him to say that he wasn't ready is garbage although he didn't have to tell Berwick anything

ITS FUNNY YOU SAID THAT , BUT HAS ANDBODY SEEN THAT ADVERT ON T.V ,FOR HARBO SWEETS WITH THE ADULTS, WELL EVERY TIME THATS ON TELLY I ALWAYS THINK OF BARKER .DONT KNOW HOW

• Like 1

On the Saturday that Ben was at Berwick he had already been at Redcar practicing in the afternoob so for him to say that he wasn't ready is garbage although he didn't have to tell Berwick anything

You're right, he didn't, but there is such a thing as courtesy.

• Like 1