British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

According to the programme I have from 1992 he was listed as a promoter and manager. As to the mystery duo, I'm otherwise in the dark. I was young and naïve back in those days, I didn't have much idea what was going on behind the scenes.

On another note, on Youtube there is a link to an entire Berwick v Ellesmere Port meeting at Berrington Lough, round about 1985 time. The racing is actually quite dire, which just goes to show that those who wax lyrical about the place do so with rose tinted glasses. As with any other circuit, there would be some good racing amongst some mediocre. The racing would certainly be closer than Shielfield, simply because the track was smaller. But better? Matter of opinion I suppose.

According to the programme I have from 1992 he was listed as a promoter and manager. As to the mystery duo, I'm otherwise in the dark. I was young and naïve back in those days, I didn't have much idea what was going on behind the scenes.On another note, on Youtube there is a link to an entire Berwick v Ellesmere Port meeting at Berrington Lough, round about 1985 time. The racing is actually quite dire, which just goes to show that those who wax lyrical about the place do so with rose tinted glasses. As with any other circuit, there would be some good racing amongst some mediocre. The racing would certainly be closer than Shielfield, simply because the track was smaller. But better? Matter of opinion I suppose.

I personally though the best racing was when they went 1st Division,the top men rode it much better IMO .Like you say small tracks make it look a it better because of the closeness of the riders.

According to the programme I have from 1992 he was listed as a promoter and manager. As to the mystery duo, I'm otherwise in the dark. I was young and naïve back in those days, I didn't have much idea what was going on behind the scenes.

On another note, on Youtube there is a link to an entire Berwick v Ellesmere Port meeting at Berrington Lough, round about 1985 time. The racing is actually quite dire, which just goes to show that those who wax lyrical about the place do so with rose tinted glasses. As with any other circuit, there would be some good racing amongst some mediocre. The racing would certainly be closer than Shielfield, simply because the track was smaller. But better? Matter of opinion I suppose.

So - that one meeting is representative of a few years of racing held at Berrington Lough? What it does do is it goes to show that that one particular meeting was dire for racing. The same could be said for every other track in the history of the sport.

Dont think Younghusband was ever a Promoter,Team Manager yes.Could be wrong about his involvement .Chris Morton was Team Manager at one point.

dave younghusband was co promoter in1992 taking over from Dick Barrie

As you say there is quite a few videos of Berrington on social media, including my favourite Berrington memory.

oh do tell

Despite the fact this is the Berwick 2015 thread, I will add my ever-lasting memory of Berrington Lough - the night the Generator failed and they decided to try and put some cars onto the Centre Green and have them put their headlights on to light up the track! Not many volunteered if I remember corectly!!

yeah remember that well

have a look at some of the other clips on you tube i.e Berwick v Belle vue 1986

And Berwick v Coventry 1991

Edited by abyassinian bandit

Steve Scholfield was a joy to watch at berrington as was Andrew Silver

They were indeed, as was Thierry Hillaire albeit for different reasons. Mark Courtney in his first season was also as good as anyone at that time and arguably as good as anyone since then too

• Like 2

dave younghusband was co promoter in1992 taking over from Dick Barrie oh do tell yeah remember that well have a look at some of the other clips on you tube i.e Berwick v Belle vue 1986

And Berwick v Coventry 1991

I stand corrected ,who was the main man 1992 was that when Mike Hope became involved or was it still Lindon ,my memory is fading I'm afraid.

They were indeed, as was Thierry Hillaire albeit for different reasons. Mark Courtney in his first season was also as good as anyone at that time and arguably as good as anyone since then too

Mark Courtney was class,Fairbairn told him to stop messing about with his machinery and he was fantastic.The 15pt maximum at Powderhall was one of the best away performance I have witnessed.

I stand corrected ,who was the main man 1992 was that when Mike Hope became involved or was it still Lindon ,my memory is fading I'm afraid.

Mark Courtney was class,Fairbairn told him to stop messing about with his machinery and he was fantastic.The 15pt maximum at Powderhall was one of the best away performance I have witnessed.

i was there that night in 1988 15 pointer and not from the gate either

Terry Lindon was still the main man in 1992

Mike hope came in 1993 running a couple of open meetings (stars of tomorrow was one not sure of the other) and a fund raising concert at the luff with local band blind justice went division three in 1994

Edited by abyassinian bandit

i was there that night in 1988 15 pointer and not from the gate either

Terry Lindon was still the main man in 1992

Mike hope came in 1993 running a couple of open meetings (stars of tomorrow was one not sure of the other) and a fund raising concert at the luff with local band blind justice went division three in 1994

Cheers.

Tonight's e-Newsletter carries an interview with Dennis McCleary, explaining reasons for not yet having signed up replacement riders, plus comments on why there has been a lull on the home meeting front.

Can you confirm the new date for the Bandits v Rockets PL meeting please

Saturday September 7th

That's what the newsletter said. The 7th is a Monday. I presume they mean the 5th?

Edited by Shads

So - that one meeting is representative of a few years of racing held at Berrington Lough? What it does do is it goes to show that that one particular meeting was dire for racing. The same could be said for every other track in the history of the sport.

That was what I was trying to get across. My point was all that all that is written on here is the good races that took place, but as usual it was in amongst some pretty ordinary stuff, but you only seem to remember the good parts. I can remember some cracking races out there as well. One between Rob Grant and Martin Dixon springs to mind where they knocked seven shades out of each other for four laps and shook hands and were joking and laughing all the way through the warm down lap.

• Like 1

That's what the newsletter said. The 7th is a Monday. I presume they mean the 5th?

http://berwickbandits.co/article/fixtures

That was what I was trying to get across. My point was all that all that is written on here is the good races that took place, but as usual it was in amongst some pretty ordinary stuff, but you only seem to remember the good parts. I can remember some cracking races out there as well. One between Rob Grant and Martin Dixon springs to mind where they knocked seven shades out of each other for four laps and shook hands and were joking and laughing all the way through the warm down lap.

It's a pretty valid point you make for speedway in general.

Looking back at any old videos, the entertainment on track really hasn't changed an awful lot.

We just forget most of the older meetings and remember the good ones: thus we think it is not as good as it used to be, when, in fact, it is probably much the same as it used to be.

• Like 1

Injury update posted by Claus Vissing on his Twitter page.

• vissingracingInjury update:
    It have been a really busy rehabilitation week First I had a good spirit talk with Flemming @trio-inspire. Then I have been at the physio @aktivform twice and I have improved every time✌️ After my improvements I have been out on my pushbike today - it felt so good So now I can start do more difficult workout next week on my pushbike and walking training with out crutches, so hope to be soon back on track .
  • Like 1

Tonight's e-Newsletter carries an interview with Dennis McCleary, explaining reasons for not yet having signed up replacement riders, plus comments on why there has been a lull on the home meeting front.

Good news regarding Claus (Screm's post).

Just seen the newsletter and assume the asset is Pepe?.

Does anyone know how many meeting's he would miss as he seems to have a reputation (only missed 6 or 7 meetings over 2 seasons before).

Last season David missed a lot of meeting's (didn't race one Saturday night due to no facility for him) and no real comment's.

Has Thomas not missed 3 meeting's this season (didn't race a couple of weeks ago due to a possible clash of fixtures) and no-one seems to mind.

It seems to me that a rider from another country will probably miss some meetings (is there a Brit who fits the bill?).

Would just like to say welcome to the Bandits latest signing and club asset on completion of the required matches an exciting prospect by all accounts

???