British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

The season was far to disjointed regarding home fixtures to many blank weeks for whatever reasons, even the Play off with 3 weeks between home fixtures .People lose interest IMO

Could not agree more, for the last 2 or 3 seasons, we seem to have far too many gaps between meetings. When you get out of the habit of turning up week after week, you realise there are other things to do aswell, you get out of the habit.

• Like 4

Like you I do hope the club can sort it out, but it does show if the business model doesnt balance the books, relying on the generosity of busnessmen in the form of sponsorship cannot be relied on. Although the Government claims every thing is rosy out there, ask the average business, it really isn't. Apart from the satisfaction of supporting your club, it is unlikely at the level we ride at, that sponsorship would be of any advantage to your business.

And there in lies the problem, what business out there has the money to hand out in the way of sponsorship to support a speedway team. The second question any business would ask is what can sponsoring Berwick Speedway do for my business.

And there in lies the problem, what business out there has the money to hand out in the way of sponsorship to support a speedway team. The second question any business would ask is what can sponsoring Berwick Speedway do for my business.

How can a team possibly run every week these days? There are not enough meetings to fit in unless you run micky mouse events? Crowds are poor enough across the sport without risking that. As has been said on the forum it is possible the idea of extra league matches (2 last season from memory) could be ditched so you would have (allowing all clubs run) 3 league cup, 12 league and at least 1 KO =16. Season say runs from April to end Sept = 6 months or say 25/26 weeks so you have around 9 blank dates. Best solution is run every fortnight. Apols was answering a Tourettes point!

Edited by Catch Me If You Can

The season was far to disjointed regarding home fixtures to many blank weeks for whatever reasons, even the Play off with 3 weeks between home fixtures .People lose interest IMO

That's the problem with having overseas riders in your team who want to ride in meetings where there is no facility for the promotion to use in their absence

How can a team possibly run every week these days? There are not enough meetings to fit in unless you run micky mouse events? Crowds are poor enough across the sport without risking that. As has been said on the forum it is possible the idea of extra league matches (2 last season from memory) could be ditched so you would have (allowing all clubs run) 3 league cup, 12 league and at least 1 KO =16. Season say runs from April to end Sept = 6 months or say 25/26 weeks so you have around 9 blank dates. Best solution is run every fortnight. Apols was answering a Tourettes point!

16 meetings 1a fortnight =32weeks.that won't work either then.That would take 8 months and that's not counting our warm up Tyne/ Tweed-Tees/Tweed matches. Edited by Fromafar

Strange thing this season for me, I havn't felt a buzz, generally a bit lack lustre when it comes to excitement, Certainly the track was greatly improved in the latter part of the season, but it's still only half way there. So sorry to disagree, I didn't get that excitement, that I certainly had from 2001 to 2008/9.

Season just gone was more enjoyable and more entertaining than 2013 IMO, there were times when I left in the 2013 that I wondered whether to bother the following week, the racing was so poor and not value for money. For the most part this season was better, at least it justified the entry money and I was looking forward to going back the next week, maybe having a competitive team helped.

16 meetings 1a fortnight =32weeks.that won't work either then.That would take 8 months and that's not counting our warm up Tyne/ Tweed-Tees/Tweed matches.

Have your practice meetings during March, April 1 to August 31 for PL meetings and KOC, if your team doesn't qualify for the play-offs then your season is ending in August, September will be for play-offs and KOC Final. Bring back qualifiers for 4TT Finals day at Peterborough, teams should only get a facility for SWC and/or SGP, after that tough luck.

Season just gone was more enjoyable and more entertaining than 2013 IMO, there were times when I left in the 2013 that I wondered whether to bother the following week, the racing was so poor and not value for money. For the most part this season was better, at least it justified the entry money and I was looking forward to going back the next week, maybe having a competitive team helped.

Have your practice meetings during March, April 1 to August 31 for PL meetings and KOC, if your team doesn't qualify for the play-offs then your season is ending in August, September will be for play-offs and KOC Final. Bring back qualifiers for 4TT Finals day at Peterborough, teams should only get a facility for SWC and/or SGP, after that tough luck.

Unfortunately there's no chance of the 4TT qualifiers coming back IMHO . The southern based promoters weren't very keen on them that's one of the reasons they were scrapped

For me, forget all the League cups & knockout trophys, start the season on the 1st April and meet each other twice home& away. We the fans will get a meeting every week then, it has to be a better system financially for the clubs.

Not what I said, I spent at least £20 per meeting.

Is that a bad thing?

Should I be trying to spend less?

You said you would quite happily pay £20 to go into speedway, think you are being a bit selective with your memory Scott

• Like 1

For me, forget all the League cups & knockout trophys, start the season on the 1st April and meet each other twice home& away. We the fans will get a meeting every week then, it has to be a better system financially for the clubs.

So, assuming 13 teams come to the tapes in 2015, you reckon 48 matches in the league next season? Good luck with that one.

• Like 1

You said you would quite happily pay £20 to go into speedway, think you are being a bit selective with your memory Scott

I did indeed say that I would happily pay £20 entry.

I also said that that was my budget for the evening, which has since increased due to the considerable increase in trade throughout the upturn.

Yes, I would happily pay £20 entry next season.

The only reason is that, for me, I would consider that the threshold for value for money.

Now, I know other people will have different views on that - and I don't intend to argue against them - I am basing this on other events I attend (sporting and non-sporting) and I consider speedway to be very good value for money.

Just my view.

So, assuming 13 teams come to the tapes in 2015, you reckon 48 matches in the league next season? Good luck with that one.

Yes, in a 26 week period April to Sept, allowing October for any rain offs, 24 home matches and 24 away matches, leaves you with 2 weeks spare and October.

I did indeed say that I would happily pay £20 entry.

I also said that that was my budget for the evening, which has since increased due to the considerable increase in trade throughout the upturn.

Yes, I would happily pay £20 entry next season.

The only reason is that, for me, I would consider that the threshold for value for money.

Now, I know other people will have different views on that - and I don't intend to argue against them - I am basing this on other events I attend (sporting and non-sporting) and I consider speedway to be very good value for money.

Just my view.

Just reminding you what you said :t:

Upturn, ask the ordinary working guy who on average is £2,000 worse off per year since 2010. Main problem the minimum wage has become the normal wage, especially in retail. Bring on a 'Living Wage' of £10 per hour.

I wouldn't pay £20 to watch Kus Doolan and riders Edinburgh or Glasgow don't want.

Sign a team that captures the fans imagination and I'd pay good money for a good team and maybe good racing...

Maybe I am dreaming again

To be fare to Berwick Speedway they have kept the price at £14, which is well below the average, maybe that is a mistake, as keeping the price down has not increased the gate, which as Heppy said some weeks only 400/500 attending.