British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

Don't want to sound thicker than I am,but, was there a problem at that time and everything merged into one league. Going back to the question, was Berwick ever in the Conference League, or the 3rd tier of speedway.

I think it was the Amateur League in those days, and Berwick joined the PL in '97 with us after the big league was split.

Where to begin? The British League Division III was created in 1994. This in turn became the Academy League in 1995, and was renamed the Conference League in 1996, and went back to being the Amateur League in 1997. These were all (supposedly) amateur competitions.

In 1998 the third tier was called the Conference League again, but was no longer restricted to amateurs. Finally, in 2009 the name was changed yet again, this time to the National League, as it remains today.

How's that?

• Like 2

Don't want to sound thicker than I am,but, was there a problem at that time and everything merged into one league. Going back to the question, was Berwick ever in the Conference League, or the 3rd tier of speedway.

There was no 3rd league in '95 and '96. As leagues 1 and 2 were merged. The 2nd league that season though was the equivalent of the 3rd league in other seasons though.

I dont know the politics behind the merging of the then British League 1 and British League 2 - I'm sure someone else could help though. The leagues split again in '97 though.

Where to begin? The British League Division III was created in 1994. This in turn became the Academy League in 1995, and was renamed the Conference League in 1996, and went back to being the Amateur League in 1997. These were all (supposedly) amateur competitions.

In 1998 the third tier was called the Conference League again, but was no longer restricted to amateurs. Finally, in 2009 the name was changed yet again, this time to the National League, as it remains today.

How's that?

Sounds about right to me :D

How's that?

Almost there, was Berwick in that 3rd tier of speedway at any time, and when. I am asking, as I am genuinely interested.

Almost there, was Berwick in that 3rd tier of speedway at any time, and when. I am asking, as I am genuinely interested.

Yes they were. In 1994 they were in Division III. They were also in the lowest league in 1995/96, although a pedant (on this forum?) might say the amateur Academy/Conference competitions were technically the second tier, as the top two leagues had amalgamated.

To answer your question, Berwick in effect were an amateur, third division, club for these three seasons.

Yes they were. In 1994 they were in Division III. They were also in the lowest league in 1995/96, although a pedant (on this forum?) might say the amateur Academy/Conference competitions were technically the second tier, as the top two leagues had amalgamated.

To answer your question, Berwick in effect were an amateur, third division, club for these three seasons.

THANK YOU, see we got there in the end. I was really interested in knowing, as it was before I got interested in Speedway. Thanks again

after terry Lindon disapeared we ran a couple of open meetings at berrington in'93 then lowest teir speedway (accademy league) in94/95 then division three in 1996 back at shielfield

I know it's not Berwick 2015, but at least it's interesting. even engaging.

25 years of berwick speedway video 1968-1992 will give you an early history lesson

Not exactly! It was 1981. They were withdrawn from the league after 26 matches, but allowed to continue in the KO Cup, reaching the final, .

lost to the Monarchs second leg of thefinal was ran in November at powderhall

25 years of berwick speedway video 1968-1992 will give you an early history lessonlost to the Monarchs second leg of thefinal was ran in November at powderhall

Charlie Mckinna guested for the injured Wayne Brown.Not sure if I have got years mixed up here.? When did we win the cup at Newcastle was that 1980. Edited by Fromafar