British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

Every promotion is under pressure, costs rising year on year, but attendances and sponsorship income does not seem to be matching costs. Clubs need to try to get back to basics, employing local riders, reducing costs and local riders more likely to have an affinity with local businesses, to attract sponsors. To do this it takes a long term policy to introduce young local riders, second halves, training sessions etc. Unfortunately most promotions may not have the luxury of a long term view.

Every promotion is under pressure, costs rising year on year, but attendances and sponsorship income does not seem to be matching costs. Clubs need to try to get back to basics, employing local riders, reducing costs and local riders more likely to have an affinity with local businesses, to attract sponsors. To do this it takes a long term policy to introduce young local riders, second halves, training sessions etc. Unfortunately most promotions may not have the luxury of a long term view.

I think what you're advocating -- and I have no disagreement -- is that these clubs might be better-off joining the National League.

Another 500-odd subscribers get another e-Newsletter from Berwick tonight:

MATIC ON THE WAY! As our 48th season of speedway gallops towards us -- just four-and-a-half-weeks until our opening meeting at Shielfield Park -- we have been talking (rather awkwardly, as Google Translate appears to have some difficulties going back and forth from the Slovene language to English) to new recruit Matic Voldrih.

Matic tells us he feels his preparations for his first season in the UK are going fairly well.

"There are a lot of things going on in order to be fully set up for when I get to Berwick" he explained this morning. I'm just back from the Czech Republic, where I had to go to buy some speedway equipment. I need two additional engines, which are going to be ready for me soon".

I had wanted to have some practice on one or other of our tracks here in Slovenia, but the weather has been very bad, lots of rain and I'm not sure if I'll be lucky in that respect".

"I will arrive at Berwick and settle into my accomodation in Tweedmouth about March 12th, and will immediately arrange for practice on a British circuit that Saturday".

"Right now, I am still working at my winter job every day, and go to the gym here three times a week to get in good physical condition".

"I obviously hope I will get used to the tracks in the UK, their shape and surface, as they are different from the tracks in mainland Europe --- and I also hope that I will learn English quickly! I am already working on this -- in the meantime we are relying on Google to translate me!"

VIP CLUB MEMBERSHIPS INCREASING: For whatever reason, a recent surge in VIP Club membership applications is gratifying. Are you in the Club yet?

Speedway is an expensive sport to stage, and -- as is currently being proved by need for the formation of a brand new Club at Glasgow and this week a Supporters Trust at Edinburgh -- turnstile income alone can no longer balance the books at any track in Britain.

As a result, if groups of fans can get together and provide funds -- by running regular raffle draws and other fund-raisers in conjunction with the promotion -- such infusion of direct funding can go a long way to ensuring the continuation of speedway at your local circuit.

On behalf of the promotion, Ryan Anderson recently confirmed that every tenth sign-up to the VIP Club will receive free entry to the meeting of their choice during 2015, as well as getting several incentives to join up. When season-ticket holders join as VIPs, they will receive a free pass for a friend to use.

For an annual membership fee of £20, VIP supporters will be afforded the opportunity to make a privileged pits visit for a few heats during a meeting, and then spend a further couple of races viewing proceedings from the centre-green. Members will also be invited to make the presentation of a VIP award to one night's most-entertaining rider and -- if they have kids who attend matches -- can nominate their young 'uns to be mascots.

Ryan also explained that plans were in the pipeline for further 'treats' coming the way of VIPs, and suggested "watch this space".

"These won't be the last wee extras we've got up our sleeve for VIPs" he confirmed. "We want to draw together our fantastically-loyal and enthusiastic family of Berwick's Dixon Building Bandits fans, and what'll happen is, the more VIPs we sign up, the better the scope of benefits to members".

Already announced is the offer that VIPs will receive a 50% discount of tickets for dances, etc, organised by the promotion, on certain nights they will receive a generous discount on merchandise from the Club Shop and on booking hospitality will be granted 10% discount if a full party (30+ visitors) is booked in.

To join the VIP Club contact Lani Rae on lani@berwickbandits.co or call her on 07775-227535.

DOOLAN'S DONKEY NO MORE: When Kevin Doolan referred to his old bike as a "donkey" last year, the phrase stuck -- despite Kev investing heavily mid-season in engine tuning tricks which allowed our ever-cheerful Aussie finishing the season in style -- but he is now taking pains to emphasise his days on top of the donkey are long-finished!

"Yes mate, the old donkey's off to the glue factory!" he told us this week. "Instead, I've got a couple of sleek, slick, speedy thoroughbreds ready, all servived and ready to go!"

"I'm not too keen on messing around in this weather, so I haven't been out on them yet -- I'll wait until just before the start of the season, then get in a solid week of spinning wheels on proper tracks".

2015 TICKETING: Commercial boss Lani Rae has her usual bag of super ticket-deals waiting for you this year in the shape of regular season ticket deals, and the highly-popular five- and ten-meeting mini-season tickets.

To let you plan your speedway viewing in 2015, we can confirm our regular admission price will be £15, with concession admission £11. As always, all children are admitted free.

A full season ticket for fifteen meetings (all 12 Premier League and three League Cup matches) costs £199 (concession price £149) and you can download application forms from our club website.

The ten-meeting books are £139 (£99) and five-match deals only £70 (£50). These five- and ten-meeting tickets are handy gifts for family and friends, and can be obtained by contacting Lani on 07779-227535 or on e-mail at lani@berwickbandits.co.

MORE NEW RULES: Having explored some of the amendments to the regulations governing Premier League speedway in 2015 in the last Banditmail, we thought we might take a look at a few more tweaks this time around. Let's see.....

This year the bikes will have attachments to their silencers called heat shields. These are designed to prevent anyone getting burned by a hot exhaust if they come in contact, and as such have to be a nod to further safety in speedway. Note: If a heat shield falls off during a race, the rider won't be disqualified -- although to our eyes, a heat shield flying off and whizzing back towards a following rider creates a whole different risk situation!

Next, there are to be no more helmet-carrieras -- if in-race footage is wanted, a camera will have to be fitted to the bike itself.

As has been pretty-widely circulated, riders aren't allowed to get off their bikes at the starting-gate to dig out a trench. What this means for riders with wee short legs, I don't know -- Derek Sneddon or Steen Jensen might have had real problems if they'd been racing in 2015. But apparently it is OK to spend time smoothing a path away from the gate, as long as a rider stays astride his steed! If he gets off for a shuffle, he'll find himself suffering the same punishment (15m handicap or exclusion) as if he had touched the tapes.

Then there are re-runs. If there's a false, or unsatisfactory start, riders are to be banned from going back into the pits -- if they, or their mechanics want to fiddle with a clutch or something, they'll need to do it on the track within a strictly-imposed two-minute warning. If a rider is disqualified for tape-touching or the like, the same rule will apply, except there will be an extra minute allowed for the line-up to be adjusted.

HOSPITALITY -- A WARNING! In view of our Saturday-night home dates now being confirmed (see website) we can obviously invite you to fpick your favoured night to take advantage of our superb Hospitality deals during 2015.

We are happy to report a number of good Bandit-people have already jumped on the Hospitality bandwagon, booking themselves in for one of this year's Saturday-night parties!

Of course we still have many dates to be snapped up -- why not be one of the snappers?

Only £35 per head (with a minimum of ten guests) which includes your stadium admission, a free programme, a pre-match group photograph with one of the Bandits, a supervised visit to the infield during racing to see what it all looks like from a very different perspective -- and of course, our legendary buffet meals with generous complimentary refreshments!

Maybe you've been meaning to take a friend, family, customers or colleagues to Hospitality "one of these nights" but haven't quite got around to it, well -- now's your chance, but you'll need to book your Saturday party sooner, rather than later............

Contact the lovely Lani on 07779-227535 or lani@berwickbandits.co to reserve your place(s) in the Suite -- you certainly won't regret it -- and we'll be pleased to have you join us!

THEO PIJPER: Although Theo raced as a Bandit for only a short period (in 2007) he has been a respected visitor since first arriving in Scotland in 2002 to join Edinburgh Monarchs, and spending a couple of years more recently on loan to Glasgow Tigers.

All of which means we are happy to advertise his long-awaited Testimonial will take place as the season-opener up at Armadale on Friday, March 20th. This despite Theo having this week joined Scunthorpe Scorpions as a stop-gap replacement for injured Australian Ryan Douglas.

While the full line-up, or indeed the format of the meeting, has not been announced, we do know Claus Vissing was one of the first riders to be named for the event. (In fact, Claus' appearance will be sponsored by the Dixon Building Bandits!). We will be reporting on further additions to the field in our Banditmail issues leading up to his big night.

Another 500-odd subscribers get another e-Newsletter from Berwick tonight:

MATIC ON THE WAY! As our 48th season of speedway gallops towards us -- just four-and-a-half-weeks until our opening meeting at Shielfield Park -- we have been talking (rather awkwardly, as Google Translate appears to have some difficulties going back and forth from the Slovene language to English) to new recruit Matic Voldrih.

Matic tells us he feels his preparations for his first season in the UK are going fairly well.

"There are a lot of things going on in order to be fully set up for when I get to Berwick" he explained this morning. I'm just back from the Czech Republic, where I had to go to buy some speedway equipment. I need two additional engines, which are going to be ready for me soon".

I had wanted to have some practice on one or other of our tracks here in Slovenia, but the weather has been very bad, lots of rain and I'm not sure if I'll be lucky in that respect".

"I will arrive at Berwick and settle into my accomodation in Tweedmouth about March 12th, and will immediately arrange for practice on a British circuit that Saturday".

"Right now, I am still working at my winter job every day, and go to the gym here three times a week to get in good physical condition".

"I obviously hope I will get used to the tracks in the UK, their shape and surface, as they are different from the tracks in mainland Europe --- and I also hope that I will learn English quickly! I am already working on this -- in the meantime we are relying on Google to translate me!"

VIP CLUB MEMBERSHIPS INCREASING: For whatever reason, a recent surge in VIP Club membership applications is gratifying. Are you in the Club yet?

Speedway is an expensive sport to stage, and -- as is currently being proved by need for the formation of a brand new Club at Glasgow and this week a Supporters Trust at Edinburgh -- turnstile income alone can no longer balance the books at any track in Britain.

As a result, if groups of fans can get together and provide funds -- by running regular raffle draws and other fund-raisers in conjunction with the promotion -- such infusion of direct funding can go a long way to ensuring the continuation of speedway at your local circuit.

On behalf of the promotion, Ryan Anderson recently confirmed that every tenth sign-up to the VIP Club will receive free entry to the meeting of their choice during 2015, as well as getting several incentives to join up. When season-ticket holders join as VIPs, they will receive a free pass for a friend to use.

For an annual membership fee of £20, VIP supporters will be afforded the opportunity to make a privileged pits visit for a few heats during a meeting, and then spend a further couple of races viewing proceedings from the centre-green. Members will also be invited to make the presentation of a VIP award to one night's most-entertaining rider and -- if they have kids who attend matches -- can nominate their young 'uns to be mascots.

Ryan also explained that plans were in the pipeline for further 'treats' coming the way of VIPs, and suggested "watch this space".

"These won't be the last wee extras we've got up our sleeve for VIPs" he confirmed. "We want to draw together our fantastically-loyal and enthusiastic family of Berwick's Dixon Building Bandits fans, and what'll happen is, the more VIPs we sign up, the better the scope of benefits to members".

Already announced is the offer that VIPs will receive a 50% discount of tickets for dances, etc, organised by the promotion, on certain nights they will receive a generous discount on merchandise from the Club Shop and on booking hospitality will be granted 10% discount if a full party (30+ visitors) is booked in.

To join the VIP Club contact Lani Rae on lani@berwickbandits.co or call her on 07775-227535.

DOOLAN'S DONKEY NO MORE: When Kevin Doolan referred to his old bike as a "donkey" last year, the phrase stuck -- despite Kev investing heavily mid-season in engine tuning tricks which allowed our ever-cheerful Aussie finishing the season in style -- but he is now taking pains to emphasise his days on top of the donkey are long-finished!

"Yes mate, the old donkey's off to the glue factory!" he told us this week. "Instead, I've got a couple of sleek, slick, speedy thoroughbreds ready, all servived and ready to go!"

"I'm not too keen on messing around in this weather, so I haven't been out on them yet -- I'll wait until just before the start of the season, then get in a solid week of spinning wheels on proper tracks".

2015 TICKETING: Commercial boss Lani Rae has her usual bag of super ticket-deals waiting for you this year in the shape of regular season ticket deals, and the highly-popular five- and ten-meeting mini-season tickets.

To let you plan your speedway viewing in 2015, we can confirm our regular admission price will be £15, with concession admission £11. As always, all children are admitted free.

A full season ticket for fifteen meetings (all 12 Premier League and three League Cup matches) costs £199 (concession price £149) and you can download application forms from our club website.

The ten-meeting books are £139 (£99) and five-match deals only £70 (£50). These five- and ten-meeting tickets are handy gifts for family and friends, and can be obtained by contacting Lani on 07779-227535 or on e-mail at lani@berwickbandits.co.

MORE NEW RULES: Having explored some of the amendments to the regulations governing Premier League speedway in 2015 in the last Banditmail, we thought we might take a look at a few more tweaks this time around. Let's see.....

This year the bikes will have attachments to their silencers called heat shields. These are designed to prevent anyone getting burned by a hot exhaust if they come in contact, and as such have to be a nod to further safety in speedway. Note: If a heat shield falls off during a race, the rider won't be disqualified -- although to our eyes, a heat shield flying off and whizzing back towards a following rider creates a whole different risk situation!

Next, there are to be no more helmet-carrieras -- if in-race footage is wanted, a camera will have to be fitted to the bike itself.

As has been pretty-widely circulated, riders aren't allowed to get off their bikes at the starting-gate to dig out a trench. What this means for riders with wee short legs, I don't know -- Derek Sneddon or Steen Jensen might have had real problems if they'd been racing in 2015. But apparently it is OK to spend time smoothing a path away from the gate, as long as a rider stays astride his steed! If he gets off for a shuffle, he'll find himself suffering the same punishment (15m handicap or exclusion) as if he had touched the tapes.

Then there are re-runs. If there's a false, or unsatisfactory start, riders are to be banned from going back into the pits -- if they, or their mechanics want to fiddle with a clutch or something, they'll need to do it on the track within a strictly-imposed two-minute warning. If a rider is disqualified for tape-touching or the like, the same rule will apply, except there will be an extra minute allowed for the line-up to be adjusted.

HOSPITALITY -- A WARNING! In view of our Saturday-night home dates now being confirmed (see website) we can obviously invite you to fpick your favoured night to take advantage of our superb Hospitality deals during 2015.

We are happy to report a number of good Bandit-people have already jumped on the Hospitality bandwagon, booking themselves in for one of this year's Saturday-night parties!

Of course we still have many dates to be snapped up -- why not be one of the snappers?

Only £35 per head (with a minimum of ten guests) which includes your stadium admission, a free programme, a pre-match group photograph with one of the Bandits, a supervised visit to the infield during racing to see what it all looks like from a very different perspective -- and of course, our legendary buffet meals with generous complimentary refreshments!

Maybe you've been meaning to take a friend, family, customers or colleagues to Hospitality "one of these nights" but haven't quite got around to it, well -- now's your chance, but you'll need to book your Saturday party sooner, rather than later............

Contact the lovely Lani on 07779-227535 or lani@berwickbandits.co to reserve your place(s) in the Suite -- you certainly won't regret it -- and we'll be pleased to have you join us!

THEO PIJPER: Although Theo raced as a Bandit for only a short period (in 2007) he has been a respected visitor since first arriving in Scotland in 2002 to join Edinburgh Monarchs, and spending a couple of years more recently on loan to Glasgow Tigers.

All of which means we are happy to advertise his long-awaited Testimonial will take place as the season-opener up at Armadale on Friday, March 20th. This despite Theo having this week joined Scunthorpe Scorpions as a stop-gap replacement for injured Australian Ryan Douglas.

While the full line-up, or indeed the format of the meeting, has not been announced, we do know Claus Vissing was one of the first riders to be named for the event. (In fact, Claus' appearance will be sponsored by the Dixon Building Bandits!). We will be reporting on further additions to the field in our Banditmail issues leading up to his big night.

And the point of subscribing - only to read it on here is???

• Like 1

Edinburgh supporters have today announced a new Monarchs Fans Trust, explaining an awareness that their promotion lose money each week and have admitted to five-figure losses over each of the last few seasons. These supporters are rightly alarmed by the statement that, if the promotion make a similar loss in 2015, they will CLOSE. The Trust is being formed, by supporters, to offer direct financial assistance.

At Glasgow, the brave new ownership have recently set up a new amalgamated Supporters Club which under their control will raise funding to help ease a huge financial burden on the owners as they attempt to refurbish the stadium and reverse huge operating losses incurred over the past three or four years.

But in Berwick, when a similarly-placed loss-making promotion approaches their Supporters Club to ask if a contribution can be made from their funds to help defray heavy operating losses, literally to pay outstanding bills, the committee there choose not to get involved in what might, to an outsider, be seen as throwing the promotion a lifeline to keep going. Further, the committee then announces a change in their consitution, presumably meaning their funds will not in future be made available to ease the promotion's pecuniary problems?

As I see it, the resulting creation of Berwick's new VIP Club is a necessary parallel to the Monarchs Fans Trust or the Tigers' new Supporters Club, and all three promotions will have to rely on assistance from these groups if they are to continue to provide speedway for their followers.

I hope it is understood the poster who quoted Joni Mitchell's lyrics wasn't posting a smart one-liner -- they were posting a very real warning.

For this to happen the Promotion need to engage with the fans especially the Supporters Club, these are the very people that make things happen. To dictate to someone without a sound explanation as to why gets up their noses, it's good to ask the fans what they can do to help, but certainly not tell them. it's also good to ask the fans what could be done to move forward, not just the few fans who will give you the answers you want to hear.

Things like the 50/50 draw, although the club gave it to the supporters club, I bet you the club got it all back in some form, plus a lot more aswell from things that the Supporters club organised, and so it should be. These are good people who love their club and will go the extra mile to help it survive, so lets hope certain people arn't cutting off their nose to spite their face.

• Like 4

I think what you're advocating -- and I have no disagreement -- is that these clubs might be better-off joining the National League.

Not necessarily, I just think it would be beneficial for clubs to try and produce local riders. I look back to Berwick in 1997, Scott Lamb, Kevin Little, Scott Robson, David Meldrum, Mike Smith, David Blackburn, Michael Lowrie, all local riders. This cuts down on expenses and as I said I think local businesses, who are the lifeblood of sponsorship, have more of an affinity with local riders, who they can relate to more.

Like I say, this wont be easy and wont be solved overnight, hence the reason I cant see it happening. Speedway is not a sport with a long-term view.

Not necessarily, I just think it would be beneficial for clubs to try and produce local riders. I look back to Berwick in 1997, Scott Lamb, Kevin Little, Scott Robson, David Meldrum, Mike Smith, David Blackburn, Michael Lowrie, all local riders. This cuts down on expenses and as I said I think local businesses, who are the lifeblood of sponsorship, have more of an affinity with local riders, who they can relate to more.

Like I say, this wont be easy and wont be solved overnight, hence the reason I cant see it happening. Speedway is not a sport with a long-term view.

The reason I sponsored Liam Carr last season was because he was local, the reason I help through sponsorship young Leon Flint is because he is local. The reason I got involved with speedway in the first place was David Meldrum local lad. Although I have enjoyed sponsoring foreign riders, I will always favour the local lad, in fact this year they are the only ones I am sponsoring (2nd halfers)/

• Like 3

Yeah, but.... In 1997 the Bandits were in the National League, which was then called the Conference, weren't they?

Question? can you give details as I didn't know Berwick had been in The Conference League, I knew the rode in the top flight for a year then returned to the 2nd tier

Won the league in 1994 & 95. KOC winners in 1995. Not sure, but I think they were at Berrington

Edited by Shads

What League, was it when there were only 2 tiers, or were there 3 tiers and were in the bottom tier.

Pretty sure the Conference League was running then. I'd lost all interest in speedway after Rye closed in 1993, only getting back into it in 2000.

Pretty sure the Conference League was running then. I'd lost all interest in speedway after Rye closed in 1993, only getting back into it in 2000.

Or would that be when Mike Hope brought speedway back to Shielfield from Berrington, I think it was about that time i started sponsoring David Meldrum. I didn't go to watch him, got copped by his dad in The Hen & Chickens, told him I wasn't watching someone going round in a circle 4 times, how things have changed.

• Like 1

Berwick were riding PL in '97. In '95 and '96 they were riding amateur league as back then there was no EL and PL, it was just one big league.

Don't want to sound thicker than I am,but, was there a problem at that time and everything merged into one league. Going back to the question, was Berwick ever in the Conference League, or the 3rd tier of speedway.