British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

It is pretty much an extinct skill now, and nor does it contribute to 50% of a riders skill set or job description . :neutral:

The phrase “team riding” has been a meaningless saying by fans for the best part of 10 years. To single out a rider and say that they shouldn’t be signed because they don’t team ride is hardly a realistic gauge, given that very few riders actually team ride now.

Out with the likes of Ward and Holder who are absurd talents and can hardly be used as a gauge for every other rider, the best you will get out of most riders is a hard 1st bend where they help their team mate now and then.

Expecting PL riders to move each around and position riders for the benefit of their team mates as they go down a straight at tracks like Berwick going 70mph is a bit farfetched, far more likely to injure a rider then help a team mate.

Well Adrian Rymel used to do it all the time if his team mate was close but if not he used to just go for it

If his team mate gated in front of him he would sit behind them, absolutely, all 3 of the Czechs were pretty good at that.

I am not taking anything away from them for it, or the riders who do it, but doing that while 50 yards in front and leading out the 2nd bend is pretty basic IMO.

It isn’t in the class of the American riders putting the bike in backwards to stop an opponent and make space for a team mate to come through, and there is nothing wrong with a Berwick rider not doing that around Shielfield as it would be close to impossible.

I am just of the opinion that I wouldn’t judge a rider these days because they don’t team ride. It isn’t a concern of mine while watching Vissing, and nor was it with Alden, they team ride no more or less than the majority of riders in the league.

Out with the occasional positive report relating to either Barker or Cook I am genuinely struggling to think of riders in the PL who do it often, Stuart Robson?

Edited by sparkafag

There must be more attractive options out there, other than Seb Alden. I am surprised he would even come in for consideration :blink:

He certainly wouldn't be any shopping list of mine , when it comes to next seasons riders

• Like 1

He certainly wouldn't be any shopping list of mine , when it comes to next seasons riders

If Seb decided he was really going to give it ago in Britain next season,why on on earth would he not be on a Berwick shopping list,we will probably be stick with Doolan,Kus and Edberg who will certainly be hard pushed to improve their averages on what I have seen from them this season.Kus done a good job but being at reserve inflated his average Doolan had a-great end to the season which only made up for his poor start and Edberg still has not got over 4pt average riding at reserve.Finding riders that can improve their average is the key and they are hard to come by.IMO Alden could.Certainly no one faster round Shielfield.
  • Like 1

If Seb decided he was really going to give it ago in Britain next season,why on on earth would he not be on a Berwick shopping list,we will probably be stick with Doolan,Kus and Edberg who will certainly be hard pushed to improve their averages on what I have seen from them this season.Kus done a good job but being at reserve inflated his average Doolan had a-great end to the season which only made up for his poor start and Edberg still has not got over 4pt average riding at reserve.Finding riders that can improve their average is the key and they are hard to come by.IMO Alden could.Certainly no one faster round Shielfield.

Alden has indeed had some spectacular meetings round Berwick, and some duff ones to.

Beware of the rider returning from retirement, they seldom recapture former glories.

• Like 4

If Berwick are going to continue with strength in depth and Bellego leaves that is a lot of race wins lost at home, Alden would be the ideal replacement.

Riders have been injured for a shorter amount of time than he has “retired” or missed a season due to work permit problems (I would have Kozza back in a heartbeat and he came back from his injury well) it is hardly a Peter Carr or Alan Mogridge stuff, although both of them were okish when they came back.

If Berwick are going to continue with strength in depth and Bellego leaves that is a lot of race wins lost at home, Alden would be the ideal replacement.

Riders have been injured for a shorter amount of time than he has retired or missed a season due to work permit problems (I would have Kozza back in a heartbeat and he came back from his injury well) it is hardly a Peter Carr or Alan Mogridge stuff, although both of them were okish when they came back.

Peter Carr was okish when he came back?!?!?

lol

What would you class as doing well?

Peter Carr, Alan Mogridge, Todd Wiltshire, Lee Complin,Theo Pijper, Rusty Harrison of the top of my head. It depends on the rider.

Jason Doyle, Chris Holder, Simon Stead, Sam Masters have all missed bigger chunks of their careers through injury (or other reason) than Alden has retirement, it isn’t like he has been away from the sport for 5 or 10 years.

Edited by sparkafag

Peter Carr, Alan Mogridge, Todd Wiltshire, Lee Complin,Theo Pijper, Rusty Harrison of the top of my head. It depends on the rider.

Jason Doyle, Chris Holder, Simon Stead, Sam Masters have all missed bigger chunks of their careers through injury (or other reason) than Alden has retirement, it isn’t like he has been away from the sport for 5 or 10 years.

This list, is it did come back better after injury, or did not. In my eyes most listed did not achieve their former glory, is that your point. Not being critical, just lost to which way, better or worse.

I`ll give you Complin, but not the rest, a little research would tell you that.

Carr and Mogridge were far superior riders when they returned.

Carr was (for the most part) a decent journeyman before his retirement he was never at any stage the dominant race winner he was when he returned. And while Mogridge was always an entertainer before he retired you couldn’t trust him to finish a race, he was, like Carr, a better rider when he returned.

Wilshere managed 3rd in the World but it was unexpected, when he returned he was a consistent performer in the EL, The World Cup and Grand Prix Series.

All three performed better after their time away from the sport. Bear in mind that this is riders who spent years retired, not a couple of months like Alden has.

Pijper and Harrison both turned in the odd strong season mixed in with some absolute dirge before they retired (Pijper at Berwick). Since returning they have found a far more consistent level of performance.

Edited by sparkafag