British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2015

I hope we still take Jake on a 7, definate talent for the long term.

It has been posted on here all winter that Berwick should add to their asset base, sign new riders, young talents on a 7.00 (something that I think most agree on). That has happened (although obviously this will depend on the assessed average Allen is given) and now that it has the 7.00 rider should be dropped and a rider from Europe is actually the rider who should have been signed on a 7.00 average, and if the rider doesn’t hit his 7.00 average after the first couple of months he is seemingly underperforming, would the same rules have applied had it been Kracamcer?

The general trend re assessed 7.00, even some 5.00 riders is that they bed in, take time, many don’t hit their assessed averages…. ever! Look at the Czechs, in close to 25 seasons racing over here combined (could be more) I believe Rymel was the only one to hit his assessed 9.00 average and he only done that a couple of times. Despite only hitting their assessed averages 2 times, I wouldn’t say that they underperformed while in the UK.

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction re what was posted pre Allen signing and what has been said since he was signed.

If he is a talent, an asset, what does it matter where he is from, or even what average he is on, he ticks the boxes that have been asked, young, tick, asset, ticket, 7.00 assessed average, tick.

If his name had never been mentioned and Pijper or Harrison (as an example) signed, would we have read comments like “look at that kid in Oz and how he scores, why didn’t we sign him”?

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 2

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure that we get bigger crowds than Edinburgh and Newcastle so what being a big city has to do with it has got me?

Would you say Workington are a big city because they seem to be able to put out some very competitive teams year in year out and are in the play off race

Are you actually saying what we have achieved over the past six seasons is acceptable on the track that is?

As I did say we have achieved wonders off the track and I'm not moaning about that but you must have missed that so you could completely take my post out of proportion

I am simply saying it's about time we build on our success and personally I don't think we are looking like doing that

You've taken everything I have said and blown it ridiculously out of proportion

I am being realistic by saying we can be a play off team every year and I'm not having a dig at everything our promotion does as you seem to think

I sir just think we can do better.

I am pretty sure Edinburghs crowds last season were double ours, and Newcastle is deceiving because so many are inside, but probably about 800 plus. Our promotion made a statement sayingnthe club only averaged about 600plus.

I guess it is the current and potential signings that we differ on.

I'm undecided about TJ, I haven't seen enough of him.

Again, it was not yourself I was accusing of cheap shots.

Last season is something to build upon, totally agree with you. Let's not go backwards.

With the utmost respect regards the TJ statement that you haven't seen enough of him yet- where have you been for the last four seasons? From what I've seen he can cause a few upsets and has in the past been a match winner on many occasions

I am pretty sure Edinburghs crowds last season were double ours, and Newcastle is deceiving because so many are inside, but probably about 800 plus. Our promotion made a statement sayingnthe club only averaged about 600plus.

In my visits to Armadale I would put the crowd level on par with Berwick certainly nowhere near double.

With the utmost respect regards the TJ statement that you haven't seen enough of him yet- where have you been for the last four seasons? From what I've seen he can cause a few upsets and has in the past been a match winner on many occasions

I haven't seen as much of him as others.

Going by trusted friends he could be a great signing, there are others saying he scored most of his points at reserve.

What I saw of him, I liked.

I've just not seen enough of him to make any predictions on how he will perform.

Looking forward to finding out though!

The two times I was at Armadale, I dusted down my laster counter and arrived at just over 500.

Edited by bigeddiechek

The fact that we get bigger crowds than Edinburgh and Newcastle suggests that the promotion of the sport is good. I note that you have alluded to that and my previous post was a general observation, rather than directly to yourself. Likewise, certain others are the culprits who seem to revel in taking cheap shots at the Promotion.

With regard to Workington, it has double the population of Berwick, furthermore it has Carlisle nearby who - to my knowledge - do not have a speedway team. We have the aforementioned cities to compete with.

I think where we are following last season is acceptable, I do also think there have been times during the past 6 years when it has not been acceptable.

I do agree with you that last season has given us something to build on. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I strongly believe that the fans need to step up to the mark. Fans are extremely important, that is from the perspective of Promotions and riders. It also means that we should take a certain responsibility. With the sport in a bad way, we need to stop kicking it when it is down (even though it is not the fans fault at all where it has got to in this country). We need to forget the negative aspects, for the time being, and get as much support for our teams as possible.

I guess you can say that we are not looking like building on last year, but I would say signing Barker shows a certain intent.

Neither of us can logically argue for predictions of where we will finish until we know all 7 riders.

Personally, I don't see the point in taking a negative outlook at this point, it just doesn't seem to make any sense?

If you don't look at the negative, how do you know what the positve is

What's the point of being on a forum if you don't have an opinion?

It's forbidden to have an opinion, havn't you worked that out yet :shock:

That would take all of five minutes do debate that particular subject.

NAH!

It has been posted on here all winter that Berwick should add to their asset base, sign new riders, young talents on a 7.00 (something that I think most agree on). That has happened (although obviously this will depend on the assessed average Allen is given) and now that it has the 7.00 rider should be dropped and a rider from Europe is actually the rider who should have been signed on a 7.00 average, and if the rider doesn’t hit his 7.00 average after the first couple of months he is seemingly underperforming, would the same rules have applied had it been Kracamcer?

The general trend re assessed 7.00, even some 5.00 riders is that they bed in, take time, many don’t hit their assessed averages…. ever! Look at the Czechs, in close to 25 seasons racing over here combined (could be more) I believe Rymel was the only one to hit his assessed 9.00 average and he only done that a couple of times. Despite only hitting their assessed averages 2 times, I wouldn’t say that they underperformed while in the UK.

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction re what was posted pre Allen signing and what has been said since he was signed.

If he is a talent, an asset, what does it matter where he is from, or even what average he is on, he ticks the boxes that have been asked, young, tick, asset, ticket, 7.00 assessed average, tick.

If his name had never been mentioned and Pijper or Harrison (as an example) signed, would we have read comments like “look at that kid in Oz and how he scores, why didn’t we sign him”?

The art is to get the best team you can on 42.50, if you get one bit of the equation wrong, then the answer is wrong. Allen on a 5 good shout on a 7 ????

The art is to get the best team you can on 42.50, if you get one bit of the equation wrong, then the answer is wrong. Allen on a 5 good shout on a 7 ????

I am assuming you know little about his ability? Probably haven’t seen him race? So without knowledge of his ability, how can it be known if he is a safe bet on either 5.00 or 7.00?

He is only going to be as good as his performance on track (if he signs) he could be Davey, he could be Masters (although he seems closer to the Masters group than the Davey, Penfold group).

If in 2 years time he is carrying an average like Tungate or Morris, is he worth 7.00 now?

Were Rymel, Franc and Makovsky worth 9.00 to be safe bets 2 or 3 years down the line? Riders who could be kept for 5/6/7 years?

Is that not the point of signing assets and why you were one who was pushing that idea earlier in the winter?

You stated earlier in this thread that you wanted the side filled with 5.00 and 7.00 assessed riders, so what has changed now that has come to fruition?

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 1

I only went to one meeting where the crowd at Edinburgh I would say was bigger than ours and that was the play off final I would say they are on a par if not smaller on occasion

Out of interest how many times were you at Armadale last season?

• Like 1

I only went to one meeting where the crowd at Edinburgh I would say was bigger than ours and that was the play off final I would say they are on a par if not smaller on occasion

Out of interest how many times were you at Armadale last season?

Would agree,their crowds are down on what they were.as all tracks seem to be.They have men with money behind them who bail them out most seasons which is a good thing in my book.Cook is only back because the dipped into their pocket when he needed more Sponsership.They have hinted they can't go on losing money ,AGAIN. Edited by Fromafar

I am assuming you know little about his ability? Probably haven’t seen him race? So without knowledge of his ability, how can it be known if he is a safe bet on either 5.00 or 7.00?

He is only going to be as good as his performance on track (if he signs) he could be Davey, he could be Masters (although he seems closer to the Masters group than the Davey, Penfold group).

If in 2 years time he is carrying an average like Tungate or Morris, is he worth 7.00 now?

Were Rymel, Franc and Makovsky worth 9.00 to be safe bets 2 or 3 years down the line? Riders who could be kept for 5/6/7 years?

Is that not the point of signing assets and why you were one who was pushing that idea earlier in the winter?

You stated earlier in this thread that you wanted the side filled with 5.00 and 7.00 assessed riders, so what has changed now that has come to fruition?

Still in favour of new assets, although the team I suggested had only one new asset in it, who was on a 7 and likely to have improved on that, who has a proven track record in Europe. I like what I have heard about Allen, but on a 5 assessed average, who in 1st season may well have held a 5 or there abouts.. So your assessment of what I said is seriously flawed, in saying i would have filled the team with 5 & 7 assessed riders, another case of reading something that was not written just your context of it.

5 loan transfers in that team, think it's time to look for new blood. Hollub Cz, Kracmar Cz, Skurla Cz, Sogaard Dk, Carpannasse It,

Still in favour of new assets, although the team I suggested had only one new asset in it, who was on a 7 and likely to have improved on that, who has a proven track record in Europe. I like what I have heard about Allen, but on a 5 assessed average, who in 1st season may well have held a 5 or there abouts.. So your assessment of what I said is seriously flawed, in saying i would have filled the team with 5 & 7 assessed riders, another case of reading something that was not written just your context of it.

Certainly reads that way.

The biggest issue with Jake Allen isn't the 7 point average as he'll drop to something more sensible 8 meetings in (or be a super star, and get 7 so the World [well Berwick] is a good place) but the fact that if he does struggle a bit, and by the end of next season is still short of the 7 he won't be allowed back. Is the risk worth possibly only 2, not so great seasons?