British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2015

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/speedway/speedway-news/panthers-need-5-000-to-survive-1-6441662

Panthers need £5,000 to survive

Its do or die time for Peterborough Panthers.

The city speedway club are still approximately £5,000 short of their survival target with a deadline to declare their intention to race on in 2015 looming large.

Panthers officials were granted a stay of execution by the sports bosses at the recent British Speedway Promoters Association (BSPA) annual meeting. That runs out at the end of tomorrow (Friday).

But Ged Rathbone (above), who has spearheaded the rescue package with long-serving co-promoter Trevor Swales, remains upbeat that the required £40,000 figure can be met.

He said: We are getting closer and closer all the time, but we are not there yet. Money is coming in by the hour and by the day and hopefully we can make it.

We must notify the BSPA of our intention to run before the close of play tomorrow and Im confident we will be able to do that. Im not even contemplating failure.

Coming up short would almost certainly lead to the closure of a club with a rich history stretching back to 1970.

Anyone keen to offer financial backing to Peterborough can do so by emailing pantherspledge2015@gmail.com

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1

Surely there is no way they're not going to run for the sake of £5,000? Ask fans to set up a direct debit of £5 or £10 a month. That only needs 50ish people to do that and it'll work. People won't notice £10 a month direct from their bank account like they're notice £120 now.

Surely there is no way they're not going to run for the sake of £5,000? Ask fans to set up a direct debit of £5 or £10 a month. That only needs 50ish people to do that and it'll work. People won't notice £10 a month direct from their bank account like they're notice £120 now.

That was my thought exactly! After seeing Mark Plummer say yesterday on Twitter that the club could be about to close, I put it to him that surely, regardless of whether they've got the full £40,000 by the end of tomorrow or not, that the club could just declare an intent to run and find the remaining money over the next few months if needs be?

Plummer's reply: don't think club or BSPA would allow that situation. Either need to be in a position to race, or not.

My reply: But if 35k has already been cashed in, what's going to happen to that money if the target isn't met?

Plummer's reply: it will be returned.

Returned? Seriously? If they'd still got, for example, £20,000 to find, I think that'd be another matter entirely. But, they have most of the funds that they were looking for! It seems silly to throw in the towel now after so much time and effort has been put in to get this far. Just my view of course. I am very surprised (but happy!) that they've raised so much cash in such a short space of time.

Edited by em1500uk

That was my thought exactly! After seeing Mark Plummer say yesterday on Twitter that the club could be about to close, I put it to him that surely, regardless of whether they've got the full £40,000 by the end of tomorrow or not, that the club could just declare an intent to run and find the remaining money over the next few months if needs be?

Plummer's reply: don't think club or BSPA would allow that situation. Either need to be in a position to race, or not.

My reply: But if 35k has already been cashed in, what's going to happen to that money if the target isn't met?

Plummer's reply: it will be returned.

Returned? Seriously? If they'd still got, for example, £20,000 to find, I think that'd be another matter entirely. But, they have most of the funds that they were looking for! It seems silly to throw in the towel now after so much time and effort has been put in to get this far. Just my view of course. I am very surprised (but happy!) that they've raised so much cash in such a short space of time.

I think I read on here that it is being held by reps of the Supporters Club for safe keeping, so it will be returned.

If its realy that cut and dry why not offer 250 tickets for the first match at £20 each now? because there are definately 250 die hards who would pay it including myself.

What a great idea - in the form of a Voucher would make great Xmas presents too but to be used at any meeting of choice to include programme and car park.

• Like 1

I think I read on here that it is being held by reps of the Supporters Club for safe keeping, so it will be returned.

It has been made abundantly clear from the outset that all monies contributed are secure and will be returned if Panthers do not run.

Thanks guys! I hadn't seen that as I don't exactly come on here on a daily basis to read and/or post anything these days... I just hope they run as it would seem mad to not run for the sake of £5,000 as SCB said previously.