British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2015

Well SCB the Ward situation is slightly different how it has been explained to me by a trusted source. Darcy cannot have his MA license issued until the day after his ban is finished so that would be the Monday 29th June. He then has to sign contract get all the work permit sponsor paperwork completed then it has all got to send his passport off to get the visa issued which is likely to take at least 3-4 weeks if they approve it he can then look at flying over to Europe.

Well SCB the Ward situation is slightly different how it has been explained to me by a trusted source. Darcy cannot have his MA license issued until the day after his ban is finished so that would be the Monday 29th June. He then has to sign contract get all the work permit sponsor paperwork completed then it has all got to send his passport off to get the visa issued which is likely to take at least 3-4 weeks if they approve it he can then look at flying over to Europe.

I could be wrong (it happens a lot!) but all you need for a work permit is an offer of work and a contract. Why does he need a license to sign a contract? I'm sure if they really wanted to make it happen they could.

Things never seem to change much do they, just found this on the internet on an article about Chris Harris and Scott Nicholes. This was the remark made by Scott at the time and is was before the 2009 GP at Cardiff. It seems him and Bomber where having a few issues, down mostly to Bombers machanic at the time, ring any bells. Here's what Scott said.

Norrie is known for stirring it up between riders.

Does he not learn from his past mistakes. As far as I can see things he is doing nothing to bring the team together.

• Like 1

I could be wrong (it happens a lot!) but all you need for a work permit is an offer of work and a contract. Why does he need a license to sign a contract? I'm sure if they really wanted to make it happen they could.

Probably the same reason why you need a license to drive a car before you can sign a contract to be a driver?

Edited by Steve0

Probably the same reason why you need a license to drive a car before you can sign a contract to be a driver?

Technically, no you don't. it would make your contract void if you didn't have one/couldn't get one when you were due to start though.

If you look up the requirements, there is nothing that says you have to have a MA license to ride a speedway bike!

The explanation I was given was that MA need to support the work permit application and that his license number needs to be included on the paperwork so they are unable to do this until the ban is completed.

Anyway back to the thread it would be a good signing for Leicester if that move can happen

I'm still wondering why Bridger would be better off in a "ufc ring"

I think he's referring to boxing and Bridger's new career? At least he's only got to put his gloves and shorts on and he's ready.

.....flagrag.....However if DH did decide that enough was enough he could hand the lease back to the council. At which point all the track fixtures and fittings would be removed and the site returned to a grass field. So once this happens that will be the end of it at Leicester unless another promoter wanted to build the stadium again which is very unlikely.

Oh I don't know ~ I think Mr Sandhu is looking for somewhere to build a stadium. :wink: He might even get a compass out and plan the track better so the sun doesn't affect the riders to avoid any delays, base it on the old Blackbird Road track, or better still Peterborough, and have a car park next to the stadium that holds more than the ridiculously small amount of 235 cars. Also Mr Sandhu likes dogs so they would be welcome as long as they were on a lead and well behaved. Blimey! This all sounds so good I'd even start going there myself. :lol:

Edited by Gemini

I didn't know if the poster was just saying he could do with getting his head smashed in or not

UFC isn't a sport, its a show that is MMA, I am a Promoter of MMA... would be interesting to see if Lewis has started to train in this discipline

Lewis took up the "sport" about 12 months ago and had at least 1 fight.

Lewis took up the "sport" about 12 months ago and had at least 1 fight.

Yes I remember that one.

Flagrag- I'd love to know what the fixtures and fittings you talk of that would be financally viable to remove... the safety fence. a bit of steel fence? I'm struggling to think of much else. what's he going to do, take the buildings down breeze block by breeze block and remove the concrete slabs and wooden fences???

It's interesting that back room staff member after back room staff member, after member of the inner clique after member of the iner clique, who appear on here... currently it's yourself and Shale Searcher, all come up with the same story that if DH can't make it work himself then he'd do his best to stop anyone else doing it instead. That opinion must come from somewhere. If true, what a way to treat all those loyal supporters that have backed him week in, week out, turning up to support him and his flawed product every week for the last 5 years despite the dismally obvious shortcomings that he's unwilling accept. And his response to you and all those backers is to turn round to them and basically say 'if i can't make it pay, i won't let anyone else try'... sounds like a right pr&*k i'm sure you'd agree!

i dither these days to whether he sounds more like either one of the ex Newport promoters or that ex Plymouth promoter, but whichever way...

Interestingly the same week as he's had enough and threatening to pull the plug, those self same loyal supporters i mention above have finally saved up enough of their hard earned money to put into DH's coffers so he'll 'honour' one of the stands after one of the people who helped him get where he is.. namely Dennis Manton. Well done DH, erm

yours,

chinless wonder

Volty- You are correct that as lease holder Leicester Speedway are responsible for paying applicable business rates and taxes on Beaumont park.

However if DH did decide that enough was enough he could hand the lease back to the council. At which point all the track fixtures and fittings would be removed and the site returned to a grass field. So once this happens that will be the end of it at Leicester unless another promoter wanted to build the stadium again which is very unlikely.

This is of course just worst case scenario and hopefully DH will have calmed down and thought of the positives that he has got and tried to find a solution to the team problems.

• Like 5

Makes you wonder how the "valuation" of the business at (at the last time I looked) over £650,000 as per the companies house-held figures as submitted by Leicester Speedway Ltd, could possibly be realistic. More like a complete fantasy!! One presumes this is also the minimum figure that DH would be seeking, if he were to be wanting to sell the company. It's complete bonkers. I wouldn't even pay £1 to take it off his hands, and nor would any other sane person unless they have all of the financial support ready in place, and a lot of experience and know-how in promoting speedway to a professional level. A reasonable conclusion would be that there's been, and still is, a substantial amount of self-delusion going on.

The move into Elite League has been a fiasco. Was it based on an ego-driven fantasy? If you remember, DH was championing a 36-point limit for team building last winter. Complete and utter delusion you may say. Presumably he was doing that in the belief that a string of top riders were tearing at the walls to sign for Leicester. What is the current reality?

Joining the Elite League has been like a commodities trader buying into something when its value was already on a serious slide. A bad mistake. Like boarding a sinking ship in the naive hope it will miraculously float again. The only "benefit" from Leicester joining, has been to add more ballast and help it to sink more rapidly. Now it's become a case of, the sooner it disappears beneath the waves, the better. Hope the life-rafts are ready.

From distance, I get the impression that DH is a bit of a "my way or no way" type. I know nothing about Mr Darcy, but I doubt he's very influential in terms of influencing DH's decision making. Is the one-man band nature of the promotion at Leicester indicative of the way things are done? Back in 2011, there were supposedly some experienced "mentors" advising DH as a rookie promoter, but they seemed to fade away quite quickly. Who else has there been as co-promoter? Ken Naylor - gone in the blink of an eye. Alan Jones - stuck around a while but stood down too soon for it to have been good for the club.

IF the Elite League is still around in 5 or even 3 years' time (I hope it won't be)...and Leicester is still in it, running matches on Saturdays....I bet my house the same situation will exist, of riders coming and going like through a revolving door, that's even taking account of injuries. Is that what paying customers really want, year after year?

Despite the usually boring racing, I used to go along to many PL matches. Despite the cock-ups with the reserves and the shabby treatment of some riders (e.g. Kerr, Blackbird, Charles Wright) we had a decent core of riders who did have a level of commitment missing today, and who you could identify with. The (alleged) actions of someone after a narrow home defeat to Somerset in 2013 when our No.1 rider was struggling (but still trying his best) with an injury, did a lot of damage to the good work that had been done to create a team spirit and loyalty of riders. I think that was probably a turning point.

• Like 3

Volty- I am hopeful that Mr Hemsley will have calmed down a bit now and I am sure the comments were just spur of the moment comments.

Although I believe that nobody would pay for the whole stadium so there will be no option but to remove all fixtures and fittings, know down the buildings and grass seed plant trees over the area

Even though DH looked like he had lost sixpenec on Monday, with his chin dragging on the ground, I can't for one moment see him closing the stadium down. There has been far to much work put into getting the Lions racing again. Not sure if the right move was going into the EL. They where still getting the crowds in to watch them at PL level. They had a fairly stable team, I think the move up was a couple of years to soon.

Not sure what it is. Are the finances not there to entice the top riders to come to BP, or are the management convinced that they can make it to the middle order of the EL with riders that are mostly just PL level riders. With the exeption of Doyle, the rest don't really, come from much of a sppedway elite back ground bar Walsek. Wosniak his really come to grips with riding over here but even he is a little up and down. Jason is also really struggling this season, don't know what it is with him, is he off form or is there more the fact that he is a little disalusioned with life at the Lions this year.

Come on lads we know you can all do better

Must say that the racing has improved quite a bit from the start of last season. But could be better still, think the extra banking on the bends have helped matter. Could still do with the bends bringing in a few feet. Just hope it is not to sunny, as you wouldn't want a repeat of last Mondays meeting with the sun break for nearly three quarters of an hour.

Not good when the visitors have a long journey home.

Just a note for those who don't have Facebook. Dennis Manton Is now quite poorly in hospital.

Here is a note from Sally Ashenden

******* DENNIS MANTON STAND UPDATE**********

Firstly I would like to say a huge "THANK YOU" to each and everyone of you who who have contributed to help raise the money to permanently name a Stand after Dennis.

It's with the greatest of pleasure that I am writing this message and say we have raised the funds required and the Stand can be named "The Dennis Manton Stand".

Measurements are being obtained to enable a plaque/banner to be made. Once this is made we can get it put in place and the Stand named.

Once Dennis is able to get out of bed and endure a couple of hours out we will arrange to bring him to the stadium so he can cut a ribbon and official name his Stand.

Once again thank you all.

Sadly it's looking less likely Dennis will be making that visit

I'm sure you will all join me in sending best wishes to one of Speedway's true gents and his family.

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1