British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2015

I've got a better idea - Leicester can have Thursday and we'll stick with our regular Friday night. :D Coventry have tried that and it was a disaster - too many shift workers for a start who can't attend, also children at school the next day. We have traditionally always been a weekend club whereas in the past Tuesday was Leicester's night. It's no good either to keep swapping and changing race nights as fans like a set day. The G.P's have made a big enough negative input without two clubs deciding to mess about as well.

We can both run on Friday night. You don't need to worry because the dual supporters will choose Cov as it's a far superior product. Isn't it?

The Leicester Hunters -vintage 1950s of the Ken McKinlay /Jack Geran era were a Friday night track as my old bicycle could attest since i and my friends used to do the trip from Coventry to Blackbird Road by pedal power. :lol::t: . And you tell young 'uns that today...we 'ad it rough in those days. :approve: Regards. Alan.

We can both run on Friday night. You don't need to worry because the dual supporters will choose Cov as it's a far superior product. Isn't it?

I'm not even going to comment on that. Not worth the effort.

BTFC Lion......I have an idea. Leicester will race on which ever night is best for us!! When I first started watching speedway it was at Brandon, It was a Sat night!! So if Cov can pick and choose a night so can we.

I don't think it's that simple as I would imagine Coventry take preference with Leicester having been closed for so long. Saturday is obviously best for Leicester so families and neutral supporters can attend like they have been for the past four years, but then that dreaded G.P. rears its head again. :(

Edited by Gemini

Think we will see. Jason Doyle, Cook. Buzz, Stead,Klindt and another GP rider to be announced if DH gets his way at the AGM. Not sure on the 2 reserves, but I would like to see both lads back with us next year. Max was coming good towards the end of the season and Josh did ok when he managed to stay on the bike, a winter to build himself up a bit may be a good idea, get some weight traning in to build his strength up a bit and he may handle the bike a bit better.

He is on his way to perth for some winter racing

If you mean Jason, I hope he sorted his visa before he left!!

If you do mean Jason as I understand it he cannot get a visa for next year until he has a contract for next year. A bit of a chicken and egg situation as many riders from outside of the eu will not know who they are riding for yet. It seems that the one year visa period does not line up with the contract period with speedway clubs.

If you do mean Jason as I understand it he cannot get a visa for next year until he has a contract for next year. A bit of a chicken and egg situation as many riders from outside of the eu will not know who they are riding for yet. It seems that the one year visa period does not line up with the contract period with speedway clubs.

That is exactly what my comment referred to!

This stuppid tule with visa's for the Ausies rises it's ugly head yet again already for next season. The way they are being treared you would think that they where the ones who had been sent over there for rustling a few sheep.

Time that the lads got a break and it was made far simpler for them to obtain a visa to race over here. They do a great job riding over here and it is time the pen pusher in charge came to thier senses and started to use thier brains that is if they have any.

I was actually on about Josh Bates, he is desperatly in need of building up his upper body stength as he finds it very hard to handle the bike at times, when he spends 2 or 3 or the meeting out flat on the track, mainly because his arms are not strong enough to handle the bike.

Get him in a gym and build him up over winter, push a few weights and you will then see a far better rider.

I do hope that Jason Doyle does come back next season as he was just brilliant to watch riding, the only time he really stuggled was for a couple of weeks or so after he was injured.

Great bloke and he came over well with the fans and had all the time in the world to spend talking to the young Lions fans.

• Like 1

If the sport is to make progress clubs are going to have to become less precious about "their" race night recognise that maybe a bit of give and take would be better for all concerned. I dont think the one (same) race night a week for all clubs is going to get off the ground but I think two (consecutive) nights will.maybe not for 2015 but can see it in place for 2016. If either come to fruition then clearly "Friday is our race night" attitude is going to be a thing of the past. So for 2015 I suggest Leicester & Coventry should give alternating Thursday & Friday a go. Yes the devil is in the detail, but I think the writing is beginning to be written on the wall.

When Brandon closes we will not need permission to run Friday nights.

I'm not even going to comment on that. Not worth the effort.

I don't think it's that simple as I would imagine Coventry take preference with Leicester having been closed for so long. Saturday is obviously best for Leicester so families and neutral supporters can attend like they have been for the past four years, but then that dreaded G.P. rears its head again. :(

[/quote

Why would Coventry take preference as you say? Sat is good for Leicester but if the club wants to progress with GP riders then it might have to change, I guess Friday would be a happy medium with the fans. The problem I see with Coventry at the moment is no one can say how much longer they a able to run? With all the turmoil around Brandon who would the promoters back at this moment in time if it went to a vote on race night. up and coming club or one who may sadly fold?

This is quite an insensitive post. :nono:

Thank you.

Used to insensitive posts from certain people on Leicester threads. :neutral: Mrcts.....I personally don't know why Coventry would take preference, except that's how it has always been sorted out before, so unless the rules change I wouldn't think Leicester would be allowed to run on the same night being as there is only about 25 miles between the two clubs. Hopefully we still have at least two more years to run.

• Like 2

why couldn't Coventry and Leicester share alternative Fridays? if it goes to a set race night, youd only have alternative home meetings anyway so why cant it be that way for the 2 clubs now?

why couldn't Coventry and Leicester share alternative Fridays? if it goes to a set race night, youd only have alternative home meetings anyway so why cant it be that way for the 2 clubs now?

Not a bad idea. I don't think the one night would be a Friday tbf

Not a bad idea. I don't think the one night would be a Friday tbf

Have two consecutive race nights - Thursday & Friday and the two teams alternate on who rides on a Friday (yes I know rain offs will make it entirely impossible to achieve this 100% but it is the way to go. GP's? both race on Thursday.

Have two consecutive race nights - Thursday & Friday and the two teams alternate on who rides on a Friday (yes I know rain offs will make it entirely impossible to achieve this 100% but it is the way to go. GP's? both race on Thursday.

A lot of clubs wouldn't have access to their stadium on consecutive nights.

Four example, Swindon hosts greyhounds on a Friday.

Edited by MattK