British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies - Has The Come Back Trail Started?

The one even more sadder thing to come out of this is some folk blaming Tony Mole for Birmingham Speedway not returning in 2015! I hope these people understand that the only very faint hope of the Brummies ever returning solely rests with TM at this time, So think about what you say!!

As for Cradley using Perry Barr in 2015, I think it would be a good idea to keep Speedway going in Perry Barr keep the track/facilities prepared each week rather than becoming run down and forgotten totally.

I understand supporters being upset but point the finger in the right direction not at the man who brought Speedway back to Brum after 20 odd years in the wilderness.

• Like 7

The one even more sadder thing to come out of this is some folk blaming Tony Mole for Birmingham Speedway not returning in 2015! I hope these people understand that the only very faint hope of the Brummies ever returning solely rests with TM at this time, So think about what you say!!

As for Cradley using Perry Barr in 2015, I think it would be a good idea to keep Speedway going in Perry Barr keep the track/facilities prepared each week rather than becoming run down and forgotten totally.

I understand supporters being upset but point the finger in the right direction not at the man who brought Speedway back to Brum after 20 odd years in the wilderness.

Tony Mole holds at least 2 GOLDEN KEYS to Perry Bar....1) Access to the owners & 2) the Speedway Plant! Without that, both Clubs are doomed to the Defunct Pile of Speedway History for the fore see able future.

Greyhoundp..........As to my usage of the Perry Bar name ........It will keep up to 2000+ fans more happy than Cradley @ Birmingham only! I cannot see the Council going against the Perry Bar name, unlike Redcar did against Middlesbrough & Lathalan did against Linlithgow a while back.

Think out of the box, not like when a while back if it wore Dudley Wood we ay gooin! Then we might have a future on homeshale in the top division of Speedway where we belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once a Heathen, always a Heathen as it says in the programme!

Planning? the council gave planning permission for Speedway whatever the name.

Well, that's being discussed elsewhere at great length by some and I just can't understand why. What on earth has the team name got to do with the City Council? So long as planning requirements are not broken, they could be called Mars Martians and it wouldn't make the slightest difference!

No one seems to know what the rent is, shall we estimate as £1.5k per meeting, that equals 137 supporters at £11 per meeting if Brum cant get that then they dont deserve speedway. Yes i fully realise the additional costs involved but surely the rent is first and foremost.

Good point, and I think one of the reasons the relaunch bid for the Brummies has failed. Our fan base just isn't big enough. And as I said earlier, I don't think the GRA will deal with anyone wanting to operate speedway at Perry Barr without Tony Mole's involvement because of the rent payment problems of the past.

I agree, what has been said about Tony Mole today is disgraceful. The person who has had to clear up the mess from two previous failed promotions at the track as well as bringing speedway back to the city seven years ago. Absolutely unbelievable.

It would be a good idea to let Cradley use the track if they wanted, but I'm having difficulty getting round the 'use it or lose it' argument aimed at Brummies fans. Some have already said they wouldn't support the Heathens at Perry Barr, and fair enough, that's up to them (I'm one of them, by the way). Now if Cradley want to operate out of Birmingham, it's going to be on a business plan formulated on their own support. That, and that alone would decide whether or not it happened. If they do come to the conclusion that such a move would work and they manage to pick up some 'floating' Brummies supporters as a result of that, then that's a bonus as far as I can see.

• Like 1

Tony Mole holds at least 2 GOLDEN KEYS to Perry Bar....1) Access to the owners & 2) the Speedway Plant! Without that, both Clubs are doomed to the Defunct Pile of Speedway History for the fore see able future.

Greyhoundp..........As to my usage of the Perry Bar name ........It will keep up to 2000+ fans more happy than Cradley @ Birmingham only! I cannot see the Council going against the Perry Bar name, unlike Redcar did against Middlesbrough & Lathalan did against Linlithgow a while back.

Think out of the box, not like when a while back if it wore Dudley Wood we ay gooin! Then we might have a future on homeshale in the top division of Speedway where we belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once a Heathen, always a Heathen as it says in the programme!

Im thinking out of the Box, no need to keep council happy with names, Planning permission is there.

as for being being a Heathen, a 352 mile round trip for most home meetings is proof of that.

Have to agree a week ago I was all for pl cuz I've had enough of nl.however,the situation has changed dramatically.if we do end up at perry Barr next year in the nl il be supporting it fully.at this moment in time it may be our best if not only option

• Like 1

If the Speedway on offer next season is Cradley then I will attend some meetings, I am a Brummies supporter and I want to see them race but should they not be in a league then I would go to Perry Barr to watch some Speedway anyway.

I sincerely hope that one day we both race in the PL.

• Like 2

Had the BSPA acted at the end of 2013 when they were warned by trustworthy people that Brummies under Phillips was heading for financial meltdown then a Phoenix would have risen out of the flames and in all likelihood a Brummies team would be functioning today.

Had they heeded similar warnings about Mallett at Newport 2 years before there still could have been speedway in South Wales!

The sport is on its knees and it's self governed body is allowing people who aren't fit for purpose to drive more nails into an already well worn coffin!

Where's next?

Well said that Man

Had the BSPA acted at the end of 2013 when they were warned by trustworthy people that Brummies under Phillips was heading for financial meltdown then a Phoenix would have risen out of the flames and in all likelihood a Brummies team would be functioning today.

Had they heeded similar warnings about Mallett at Newport 2 years before there still could have been speedway in South Wales!

The sport is on its knees and it's self governed body is allowing people who aren't fit for purpose to drive more nails into an already well worn coffin!

Where's next?

Wheres next ? I think Peterborough fans can answer that one.

I came on here expecting similar bile that I have been reading on the Birmingham forum with regard to Tony Mole being to blame and mindless comments aimed at Cradleys use of Perry Barr.

But what a refreshing surprise to find that isn't the case.

In this hour of need we should all be demonstrating that we are, first and foremost, in love with the sport and will do whatever is needed to keep as many clubs alive as possible.

Any venture launched at Perry Barr gets my full support.

• Like 5

Where's next?

The BSPA, the management committee I take it? Not learnt from their mistakes then? :-(

Where's next?

What exactly would the BSPA be able to do ?Force ably make a promoter sell a club !

They can revoke a promoters licence!

Which is exactly what they ended up doing anyway.

It speaks volumes that these two are not being allowed near the sport ever again. There must have been warning signs flagged up to the BSPA when the Drury's quit. And then Phillips junior was allowed to become the replacement promoter with no discernable experience whatsoever.

I suppose they took Phillips' word for it that he had sufficient finance available, rather than selling to Tony Mole last Christmas time, but as we've subsequently discovered, Phillips' word, whether written or verbal meant naff all.

• Like 1

A hard core of people find it convenient to blame the BSPA for all of speedway's ills, but having been present at the meeting attended by Alex Harkess and Phil Morris in which we were given detailed (but some of it confidential) information regarding the situation at Birmingham, I can only say that I was satisfied that the BSPA did everything they could to firstly resolve the mess that Alan Phillips put the club in, then to try to ensure that Birmingham finished the season, and have gone out of their way to try to facilitate a revival for 2015.

• Like 6

I can only say that I was satisfied that the BSPA did everything they could to firstly resolve the mess that Alan Phillips put the club in, then to try to ensure that Birmingham finished the season, and have gone out of their way to try to facilitate a revival for 2015.

I don't think any reasonable person disagrees with that, I certainly don't, the BSPA and Alex Harkess in particular have tried to do the best they can in the circumstances, but have on this occasion come up short.

The aftermath is not what is being discussed here. It's what led up it that is the problem. I'm not being disrespectful to season ticket holders here, they all lost money and that's not acceptable, but look at what sponsors lost. OK you might say, that's a gamble they take when they hand money over in a venture like that, but they didn't get what they paid for and with hindsight, might have put their money somewhere else that could have been more beneficial. Doubtless all involved were spun the same bullrubbish story that the fans were. 'No debt, no problems, club's viable, etc'. No wonder all the major sponsors were alienated, I wouldn't blame them if they never went near speedway ever again. What's worse, all Joe McLaughlin's hard work over the last few years was flushed down the pan in an instance by two utterly clueless chancers. That's the main reason Birmingham Speedway won't be at the tapes in 2015.

It's easy to be wise after the event. We've all been there and done it in various ways, but it's nearly always for the same reason; Too much is taken at face value these days, and it shouldn't be.

Edited by Leicester Hunter
  • Like 1

I think like a lot of things, it's never as simple as just being able to blame one or two people for what happened. Without trying to excuse any of the wrongs done by the last promotion, just to blame the Philips's ignores the fact that for several years before, there had been a highly damaging battle at board room level between the Drury's on one side and (in the end) McLaughlin and Philips on the other. It was a battle that divided people into two camps depending on whose side they were on, it lost the club sponsors (interesting to note that Mercom were latterly sponsoring Swindon and not Birmingham?) it caused the sidelining of the Drury's from the public eye (note Graham Drury playing no active part in the latter year's fans forums) and it caused the parting of the ways between Drury's friends and acquaintances in the establishment (e.g. AP Media and Nigel Pearson) when Philips and McLaughlin wanted to do things their own way.

Sadly taking on Graham Drury was one thing but taking on his allies in "the establishment" was a bridge too far. You don't get to encounter the forces of "our way or no way" without falling victim and eventually, when the Empire Struck Back, heads rolled and grovelling apologies were extracted. And that was before the 2014 season had even started.

I can quite believe that the BSPA spun a believable strory to why they were whiter than white. They always are, aren't they? And led by an impecably honest and upstanding citizen too.

Nothing's ever simple in speedway and nothings ever what it seems either.

• Like 3

Christ knows what really happened, I know for sure I'd have preferred to not know the inner workings of speedway, a sport I've loved for 40 years but could quite happily now take or leave.

I firmly planted my feet in the Phillips Camp and despite my loyalty finished significantly out of pocket. I'd also previously found Graham Drury and Denise sound as a pound but saw a totally different side to them in 2013 but then I'm a forgiving soul.

Birmingham wise I unfortunately think its curtains unless Cradley take the plunge. I attended the last Brummies meeting at Belle Vue with a pitiful hardcore of maybe 20 fans max, that in itself speaks volumes. But I don't think it's just Birmingham, Peterborough, Eastbourne, Cradley etc who will close up, give it 5 years and I don't think speedway will exist in the UK apart from maybe the Cardiff GP, everything else will be amateur like grasstrack.

The fault of all this lies in the failure to move with the times. The entertainment £ is spent better elsewhere in 2014.

• Like 7