British Speedway Forum

Most Bizarre Exclusions......

I remember back in 2000. Good Friday, 2000 @ Foxhole.

It was a close match. Not much in it all meeting.

Heat 12, and Savalas Clouting knocks off one of Ipswich's fence panels with his back wheel whilst at the back and gets excluded.

The only thing he had done all afternoon.

Race got stopped and re-run.

And guess what? Toni Svab popped out of the start in the re-run, and the match ends a draw.

And of course King's Lynn end up losing the title by just a couple of points.

Chris Gay was the referee on this occasion...

I'm not bitter.

would that be the same meeting that Gollob rounded Adams off the last bend of the final heat to secure the draw? (or is my memory playing tricks on me?)

would that be the same meeting that Gollob rounded Adams off the last bend of the final heat to secure the draw? (or is my memory playing tricks on me?)

If it is, it is playing tricks on me too!

I think Louis at his peak made Crump look a little daft towards the end of the meeting aswell.

Louis, Gollob, Crump, Adams - that was a "proper"(copyright Kelvin Tatum) heat 15!

Alan Grahame's exclusion in the last race at Coventry when, having missed the start, with the Bees on a 5-1, he promptly parked the bike in the middle of the track and walked off.

Never seen the like of it before or since.

True to form Wiggy popped out and won the rerun and the meeting.

Learnt a few new words from the Bees fans that night!

Remember about 3 or 4 years ago Luke Bowen (I think it was him) got brought down in a race at Newcastle. A rider was excluded and in the re-run Bowen was in agony but still completed the race a fare way back in 3rd place and the referee excluded him for not trying. Bowen was withdrawn by medical staff after that race and I am nearly sure Rye House only lost by a point that night

Alan Grahame's exclusion in the last race at Coventry when, having missed the start, with the Bees on a 5-1, he promptly parked the bike in the middle of the track and walked off.Never seen the like of it before or since.True to form Wiggy popped out and won the rerun and the meeting.Learnt a few new words from the Bees fans that night!

Happened in this year's World Cup meeting at King's Lynn. Darcy got a sulk on and left his bike in the middle of the track just over the start finish line and walked back to the pits while the race was still running.

There was a bizarre one at Stoke on Saturday all captured on Luke Priest's helmet cam.

Priest in yellow is leading, Jon Armstrong in red tries to go under him, gets it wrong and knocks Priest off. You then see Armstrong come over to Priest and apologise.

Priest rides back into the pits (helmet cam still on) to hear that James Cockle in white (who had nothing to do with the crash) is excluded. The Clerk of the Course is on the phone explaining that the rider in white wasn't even involved. The referee changes his mind and excludes Priest....Priest walks out to the start line where people are already shouting at the ref.

Think this link works https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152218274987130&set=vb.501802129&type=2&theater

• Like 4

There was a bizarre one at Stoke on Saturday all captured on Luke Priest's helmet cam.

Priest in yellow is leading, Jon Armstrong in red tries to go under him, gets it wrong and knocks Priest off. You then see Armstrong come over to Priest and apologise.

Priest rides back into the pits (helmet cam still on) to hear that James Cockle in white (who had nothing to do with the crash) is excluded. The Clerk of the Course is on the phone explaining that the rider in white wasn't even involved. The referee changes his mind and excludes Priest....Priest walks out to the start line where people are already shouting at the ref.

Think this link works https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152218274987130&set=vb.501802129&type=2&theater

I've seen the rider in 4th excluded when the rider in 3rd run into the rider in 2nd. Wasn't even the right team! Stoke vs Somerset in about 2009

How weird! Thats exactly what happened in the heat I was referring to earlier. Rider in red knocks off white, yellow gets excluded. Everyone in uproar, referee excluded riders in white! Yet red caused the accident. It was also at Stoke :D

......Got me thinking what other weird and wonderful rider exclusions have there been over the years?

Robert Nagy after Matousek ran over him at Sheffield. How Nagy was ever considered to be the cause of the stoppage remains a mystery. Not that it mattered to Nagy, because he was not fit to race again for a long time, I think we are all just relieved he survived.

Anyone at Long Eaton the previous night will tell you, that was a crash waiting to happen. I will always ask the question, was that a racing accident or something more sinister? Only one man knows the answer to that.

I remember a few years ago, Hynek Stichaeur being excluded for, and this is a direct quote, "Unintentional dangerous riding"

He had lifted on the inside of bend 2 and cut across everyone, causing a rider to pull a locker and drop to the back. Everyone stayed on, everyone was fine, but the referee stopped the race to exclude him!

I remember a few years ago, Hynek Stichaeur being excluded for, and this is a direct quote, "Unintentional dangerous riding"

He had lifted on the inside of bend 2 and cut across everyone, causing a rider to pull a locker and drop to the back. Everyone stayed on, everyone was fine, but the referee stopped the race to exclude him!

Mark Thorpe was exluded for dangerous riding at Middlesbrough one night. He lifted (he was yards in front of anyone else) coming off the fourth bend. Only time I've ever seen that.

I could be wrong about this, but wasn't Wiggy excluded from a race in a test match (i think at Oxford)? It was his 6th race and his 6th win, and he wheelied down the straights on the last lap. yeah, not attempting to race... Someone tell me if I've got my facts wrong. If I'm right, then surely it was Frank Ebdon in the box?

Not an exclusion but bizzarre all the same. This happened at Cradley Heath in the very early 1960's when after an especially ragged start had resulted in all four riders demolishing the tapes.

There was then a lengthy delay with no music being played before at length the announcer told the bemused crowd: "There will be no exclusion because the referee wasn't watching at the time the tapes were broken.!!!"

• Like 1

Not an exclusion but bizzarre all the same. This happened at Cradley Heath in the very early 1960's when after an especially ragged start had resulted in all four riders demolishing the tapes.

There was then a lengthy delay with no music being played before at length the announcer told the bemused crowd: "There will be no exclusion because the referee wasn't watching at the time the tapes were broken.!!!"

It seems a fairly common occurrence after some of the exclusions I have seen. :o :o ;):P

just as armstrong comes along side priest you can hear armstrongs engine blow up and thats the reason for armstrong hitting priest and causing the crash

I could be wrong about this, but wasn't Wiggy excluded from a race in a test match (i think at Oxford)? It was his 6th race and his 6th win, and he wheelied down the straights on the last lap. yeah, not attempting to race... Someone tell me if I've got my facts wrong. If I'm right, then surely it was Frank Ebdon in the box?

1986 test series, England v USA. It was indeed Wigg who wheelied across the line to celebrate what would have been an 18-point max, the ref who excluded him was Paul Ackroyd. The same thing happened several times in the third test at Ipswich, Sam Ermolenko and John Cook deliberately wheelied all the way round in the last race in protest.

Hackney, Superama, 1972.

Sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Poole's Christer Lofqvist beat Ivan Mauger in their first ride, then get himself excluded under two minute allowance before what would have been his second ride?

Christer had left his place in the pits to find a quiet spot somewhere near the dressing rooms or car park, to get away from it all and concentrate his mind. He was enjoying a fine season and looking a good bet to win this prestigious meeting.

Trouble was, he neglected to tell his mechanic or anyone else exactly where he was going, so when the two-min buzzer sounded for his second ride, he was nowhere to be found.

It was a straightforward exclusion incurred in bizarre circumstances.

Stupid thing was, without digging out the prog, I think he won his three remaining rides, so another win in the heat he missed would have given him victory in what was a star-studded line-up for Hackney's annual individual classic.

• Like 1