British Speedway Forum

Most Bizarre Exclusions......

Whilst at Mildenhall yesterday during the MDL after the main event i saw a rider run wide on a corner and brush against the air fence which dislodged a loosely tied advertising banner.
The race was then stopped (fair enough safety grounds) but excluding the rider seemed a little bizarre.....
......Got me thinking what other weird and wonderful rider exclusions have there been over the years?

Whilst at Mildenhall yesterday during the MDL after the main event i saw a rider run wide on a corner and brush against the air fence which dislodged a loosely tied advertising banner.

The race was then stopped (fair enough safety grounds) but excluding the rider seemed a little bizarre.....

......Got me thinking what other weird and wonderful rider exclusions have there been over the years?

Very bizarre - I've never, in fifty years of attending Speedway heard of anything like that before.

Perhaps the Referee should have excluded whoever tied the Advertisement on in the first place. ;)

I can understand why he stopped the Race though - the only thing he could do for safety reasons - but - excluding the Rider seems ridiculous to me.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the Regulations may be able to explain this? Unless, of course, it come under the banner (see what I did there :o;) ) of, if a Race is stopped - then someone has to be excluded. If so, this is another example of some of the somewhat stupid rigidity of Speedways Rules.

• Like 1

Very bizarre - I've never, in fifty years of attending Speedway heard of anything like that before.

Perhaps the Referee should have excluded whoever tied the Advertisement on in the first place. ;)

I can understand why he stopped the Race though - the only thing he could do for safety reasons - but - excluding the Rider seems ridiculous to me.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the Regulations may be able to explain this? Unless, of course, it come under the banner (see what I did there :o;) ) of, if a Race is stopped - then someone has to be excluded. If so, this is another example of some of the somewhat stupid rigidity of Speedways Rules.

It might be as simple as he was the primary cause of the stoppage, hence an exclusion

When Powderhall had the hanging board fence a rider, I think Brett Saunders, ran wide and brushed one of the panels with his rear wheel causing it to fall onto the track. The race was stopped and rerun without any exclusion. He could have been excluded as primary cause but it was deemed to be a 'technical' problem, akin to the tapes not rising correctly, therefore the rider wasn't at fault.

Tore Kittelsen excluded two riders who fell on the first bend at White City, saying they both fell independantly. He even came on to explain his decision to Dave Lanning in the broadcast. I don't recall ever seeing that happen again.

Right call. Nearly all tracks have advertising on the fences today.

Imagine if you're team was on a 5-1 and the rider at the back took off the advertising to cause all four back. Would that be fair??

Right call. Nearly all tracks have advertising on the fences today.

Imagine if you're team was on a 5-1 and the rider at the back took off the advertising to cause all four back. Would that be fair??

It would be fair, because it’s a race track and there should not be adverts hanging unsecure on the air fence. Think of the riders safety not a five one.

A few strange exclusions I can remember:-

I recall Kai Niemi was excluded for losing his crash helmet during a race.

Also two Berwick riders once rode in the wrong race and were excluded at the end of the race they shouldn't have been in. I recall the two riders who missed the race were also excluded!

I saw Carl Askew excluded at Peterborough for 'boring'

Alan Brown at Buxton was, during a race (under-21 Qualifier I think), Black Flagged - after falling, re-mounting, leaving the track, re-joining the race and was lapped. Take your pick as to why he was Black Flagged!

Alan Brown at Buxton was, during a race (under-21 Qualifier I think), Black Flagged - after falling, re-mounting, leaving the track, re-joining the race and was lapped. Take your pick as to why he was Black Flagged!

Right rider, right track, right sequence of events and right colour of flag (although he ignored it the first time he went past it because he seemed blissfully unaware he'd done anything to deserve it, never mind both leaving/rejoining the track and being lapped !!).

But given he was at least in his mid-30's at the time, it certainly wasn't during an under-21 qualifier !! ... probably he was riding in the Conference League half of a Buxton double-header that also featured a British under-21 semi-final or a round of the British under-15 series.

Talking of which, also at Buxton during one of their British under-15 meetings. a very determined 12-or-13-year-old Josh Auty missed the gate but scythed into the lead on the 2nd-bend between two far less confident riders who were so scared out of their wits that they promptly wobbled into each other and then into a heap with at least one of them being excluded for being the primary cause of the stoppage when, arguably, the real cause of it was already well clear down the back-straight by the time anyone fell off !!

But I'll give top marks to the time at Newport that referee Dave Watters excluded Mark Lemon from the re-run of a heat for failing the 2-minutes despite the fact the pair of them had been chatting on the pits-&-ref phones (about why the original version had been called back) for at least the first 40-seconds of the fresh 2-minutes without Mr. Watters ever telling Lemo the fresh clock had started !!

Edited by arthur cross

It might be as simple as he was the primary cause of the stoppage, hence an exclusion

Yes - but - to be pedantic - it wasn't the Rider who caused the stoppage - it was the Advertisement. If it wasn't attached properly - you can hardly blame the Rider for that, and in this case it may/will have cost him money.

Right rider, right track, right sequence of events and right colour of flag (although he ignored it the first time he went past it because he seemed blissfully unaware he'd done anything to deserve it, never mind both leaving/rejoining the track and being lapped !!).

But given he was at least in his mid-30's at the time, it certainly wasn't during an under-21 qualifier !! ... probably he was riding in the Conference League half of a Buxton double-header that also featured a British under-21 semi-final or a round of the British under-15 series.

Talking of which, also at Buxton during one of their British under-15 meetings. a very determined 12-or-13-year-old Josh Auty missed the gate but scythed into the lead on the 2nd-bend between two far less confident riders who were so scared out of their wits that they promptly wobbled into each other and then into a heap with at least one of them being excluded for being the primary cause of the stoppage when, arguably, the real cause of it was already well clear down the back-straight by the time anyone fell off !!

But I'll give top marks to the time at Newport that referee Dave Watters excluded Mark Lemon from the re-run of a heat for failing the 2-minutes despite the fact the pair of them had been chatting on the pits-&-ref phones (about why the original version had been called back) for at least the first 40-seconds of the fresh 2-minutes without Mr. Watters ever telling Lemo the fresh clock had started !!

He was track reserve, if my memory serves me correctly.

And, as far as the Lemo incident is concerned....... I blame the Team Manager....... :wink::P:D

I remember back in 2000. Good Friday, 2000 @ Foxhole.

It was a close match. Not much in it all meeting.

Heat 12, and Savalas Clouting knocks off one of Ipswich's fence panels with his back wheel whilst at the back and gets excluded.

The only thing he had done all afternoon.

Race got stopped and re-run.

And guess what? Toni Svab popped out of the start in the re-run, and the match ends a draw.

And of course King's Lynn end up losing the title by just a couple of points.

Chris Gay was the referee on this occasion...

I'm not bitter.

• Like 1

I seem to recall a Coventry rider (possibly Rick Miller ?) being excluded for not making an effort to race when he was the only rider on track. There had been 3 exclusions and he was the only rider left in the 4th re-run and so he just pulled wheelies to entertain the crowd for the full 4 laps and the referee promptly excluded him !

Edited by Derwent

I seem to recall a Coventry rider (possibly Rick Miller ?) being excluded for not making an effort to race when he was the only rider on track. There had been 3 exclusions and he was the only rider left in the 4th re-run and so he just pulled wheelies to entertain the crowd for the full 4 laps and the referee promptly excluded him !

Against Middlesbrough in a Challenge, I think

Yep that's the one I remember most, it was against Middlesbrough I believe.

dont know what year it was but Frank Ebdon excluded Hans nielsen for wheelieing over the line when he won the race.

Remember at sheffiled when the Brummies were there 2008 or 09, a sheffield rider fell off going into the second bend and the ref excluded the Brummie rider who at least 15 feet in front of him even the sheffield supporters couldent understand why the ref exclude the brummies bloke, I just cant remember the refs name.

Do they still blackflag. I saw Jim Lawrence exclude a sidecar outfit at the end of one

race for crossing the inner edge on the first lap.

Do they still blackflag. I saw Jim Lawrence exclude a sidecar outfit at the end of one

race for crossing the inner edge on the first lap.

The Alan Brown incident was when the Newcastle Gems were in the Conference League so 2002-2004

Edited by Steve Park