British Speedway Forum

Wolves V Eastbourne 08/09.

First of all, I hate it when away teams just slag off their riders and don't give credit to the home team. So, well done Wolves. Great guests and great team replacements with Rory, Ricky, PK and Danny.

As for Eastbourne, DISMAL. I actually felt like hiding my Eagles program holder. Thank God I didn't wear a jacket!

We had a horrendous journey up and to be honest, I expected to lose, I didn't even go thinking we would get a point but I thought we would be at the races but again, Eastie didn't turn up. 10 hours of my life I gave up for that. I could have been in bed at a sensible time, I could have watched Banshee, I could have saved the fuel and entrance money spent for 14 heats of rcing. Yes 14, because for the first time in 43 years of watching Eastbourne, I did not stay for heat 14. From about heat 4 onward I just wanted to start the trip home.

I am gutted, absolutely GUTTED about the possible end of the club and had intended going to the double headers at Coventry and Belle Vue but WHY? Why bother?

Thanks Kyle.

• Like 3

We did, nothing changes. ;)

Wow, that was a breeze against a team supposedly who are fighting for a Play Off place.

Besides heat 7 (which was gift wrapped for them when Lasse came out in a blue helmet cover instead of red) the only true fight they showed was in the final heat when it was way too late.

A great way for the Wolves to sign off 2014. Thank god its over.

Another poor crowd but at least showed some signs of life - Porkie got a huge cheer for doing the ice bucket challenge in the Interval with PK on tipping duty. :D

A fair smattering of good heats and battles to keep us entertained - mostly from Wolves riders.

Bring on 2015. :t:

WOLVES

Schlein - never going to be a favourite rider of mine but he rode like a true number one tonight (which makes me worried if that is going to be the standard fare next season!), gated well and battled hard when behind. 5/5

Lasse - he looked quick and hungry and was involved in some good battles. Has settled in well in his short time at the club. 3.5/5

RICKY - Now THATS the way to answer the management back. Boy did he look quick too. Easily the quickest rider on show. Mean and tough out the gate too. Now if only he rode like that every week there would be no thought of replacing him! 4.5/5 MOTM

PK - His best home match by far. Definitely looked like the PK of old with trademark passes, got outgated in the final heat. 4/5

King - Did a decent enough job back in the tough heat leader position without ripping up any trees. Battled hard for points too. 2.5/5

JOE - He looked pretty quick and gave Newman a run for his money in heat 9, Took an excellent win in heat 4 under the protection of PK. 3.5/5

TOM - Had to battle for his points but only beat Halsey twice. 1.5/5

Eagles

Bjarne - He finished with a win but looked nothing like a number one before that. Got better as the track slickened off towards the end. 2/5

Lahti - Certainly gave the effort without much reward. 2/5

Bridger - started and ended with 2 good battles then was nowhere to be seen in between. 2/5

Kylmakorpi - His 6 pointer flattered him.and only added 4 from 5 rides in the other heats. 2/5

Michelsen - finished races well adrift, despite being in contention early on. Clearly wasnt fit enough to start the meeting. 0/5

Newman - no surprise he top scored.but was exposed when thrown into bigger heats. 3.5/5

Halsey - besides heat 2 (for a lap) he was never on the pace. 0/5

how can a MOTM have a rating lower than somebody else.... :D

i agree about Ricky Wells basically giving a Churchill salute saying...'look at what you could've won'.... :D

Edited by dump that clutch

If this season is to see the demise of the once proud Eastbourne Eagles... then all those responsible should hang their heads in shame at the fact that in all probability they are going to bow out on the back of a run of 40 consecutive away defeats... it's a total disgrace...

Would be a sad end to a once thriving and successful club that has all but given up away from Arlington for the last 3 seasons...

• Like 3

This may have been one sided with only Bjarne Pedersen and Kyle Newman doing anything for Eastbourne, but it showed that you don't need the big names yet again to provide great racing and if the 2015 season starts with riders like Rory Schlein, Bjarne Pedersen, Craig Cook, Scott Nicholls etc as the top riders then so be it.

Ricky Wells proved his point with a brilliant 13+1 with some fast starts and good passes and given another lap he would have finished with a maximum as he closed in on BP in heat 15. Schlein never looked in trouble, PK was like a 22 year old and Lasse showed how much he enjoys it at Monmore with some great racing.

Joe Jacobs had no answer this time to Kyle Newman but looked good and Daniel King battled hard for six points. However much we may miss the likes of Woffinden, Pawlicki and other stars next season (possibly), the team spirit was obvious and I for one would look forward to a season with a 30-32 point limit (42-45 PL strength) teams if this is the action served up.

Eastbourne obviously need wins away from home if they are to reach the play offs and last night I asked Trevor Geer as heat 15 approached if they were going to use Ricky at Belle Vue in the double header to replace Michelsen or Woodward. The form he showed last night was no fluke and Ricky always goes well at Kirky Lane so Eastbourne could spring a suprise next week with some away points if they book Ricky.

If they book PK as a guest aswell, there may be a few Wolves fans travelling north next Monday as this was the final match at Monmore Green in 2014 with only the Olympique on Tuesday 14th October left to ride at home.

Think the crowd levels for the last 2 weeks tell you know matter how good the speedway is perceived to be, they are not prepared to pay £17 to watch what is only slightly above Premier league level.
  • Like 2

Think the crowd levels for the last 2 weeks tell you know matter how good the speedway is perceived to be, they are not prepared to pay £17 to watch what is only slightly above Premier league level.

I think the crowd levels have been falling for far longer than two weeks. Fans have been voting with their feet

as a protest against the managements refusal to make changes while there was an outside chance of making

the play-offs.When changes were made ,it was to late. By the way in the meantime I have been watching

PL speedway and not been disappointed.

I think the crowd levels have been falling for far longer than two weeks. Fans have been voting with their feet

as a protest against the managements refusal to make changes while there was an outside chance of making

the play-offs.When changes were made ,it was to late. By the way in the meantime I have been watching

PL speedway and not been disappointed.

Good for you, if racing is anymore exciting than at Monmore then you should be enjoying yourself.

The strength of the line up does not always reflect on the quality and entertainment of the racing and in the last few weeks there has been some excellent races involving six point riders or lower.

Yes the crowds have been down but that is because of MISSING riders like Woffinden, Pawlicki and Doyle but if those line ups were the official teams and a more varied fixture list of different teams then I'm sure the crowds would be quite respectable for Wolves v Workington or v Cradley Heath in a British League meeting possibly at no more than £15.

Elite League may rise to £20 ...... but the whole point was that entertainment can be obtained from lower order riders as proved.

The strength of the line up does not always reflect on the quality and entertainment of the racing and in the last few weeks there has been some excellent races involving six point riders or lower.

Yes the crowds have been down but that is because of MISSING riders like Woffinden, Pawlicki and Doyle but if those line ups were the official teams and a more varied fixture list of different teams then I'm sure the crowds would be quite respectable for Wolves v Workington or v Cradley Heath in a British League meeting possibly at no more than £15.

Elite League may rise to £20 ...... but the whole point was that entertainment can be obtained from lower order riders as proved.

No,its not only the missing riders,its not rocket science why the crowds are down.

Good results(play-offs minimum) = Good crowds.

Wolves supporters have previous in this matter,if we dont perform at home,the crowds stay away.Yes, the loss of Woffinden and Pawlicki have been a factor,but Tai,s lack of form coupled with patchy performances from Wells and Proctor and all three reserves its blantantly obvious it will affect attendances.

CVS and Adams know they have to get it right for the 2015(regardless of the league format)season,otherwise another year like this one,will see the crowds down to the last few hundred die-hards.

• Like 1