British Speedway Forum

Lakeside Vs Poole 1st Sept (sky Meeting)

Why not so happy?

From a promoters point of view, you'll get just as big a crowd for the 1st leg, without the risk... 1st leg away and you get hammered (a la Birmingham last year) and you can get a lower crowd for the 2nd leg.

Tactically, far better to ride the 1st leg at home, you know exactly whats required then for the away leg..

And from a fans point of view, nothing better than winning the playoffs at another teams track, as I'm sure you are aware!

I accept that not all fans are able to travel..

While I agree with you. Winning down at Poole was amazing. The reality is you get a fraction of the supporters at an away meeting that you do at home. Brandon was buzzing for hours after Coventry won in 2007, Poole a few of us went in the bar for an hour then slowly went home.

That said, I do agree about the tactics. If you're away first you HAVE to use your TR straight away, if you're using R/R you have to be pro-active. Where as if you're riding away second you can wait for a TR if you have a 10-12 point lead, you can take the safe options with the R/R.

While I agree with you. Winning down at Poole was amazing. The reality is you get a fraction of the supporters at an away meeting that you do at home. Brandon was buzzing for hours after Coventry won in 2007, Poole a few of us went in the bar for an hour then slowly went home.

That said, I do agree about the tactics. If you're away first you HAVE to use your TR straight away, if you're using R/R you have to be pro-active. Where as if you're riding away second you can wait for a TR if you have a 10-12 point lead, you can take the safe options with the R/R.

No surprise really ! Fireworks cancelled, no champagne to help with celebrations, and all the Bees riders"frozen to death" after having to shower in cold water. Hardly worth hanging around for . :D

• Like 2

No surprise really ! Fireworks cancelled, no champagne to help with celebrations, and all the Bees riders"frozen to death" after having to shower in cold water. Hardly worth hanging around for . :D

Clearly got some champagne fro somewhere. Matt complained it was spilt all over the carpet/floor in the bar. Lesson there is give the winners the champagne on the track and they wont need to do it in the bar :D

Clearly got some champagne fro somewhere. Matt complained it was spilt all over the carpet/floor in the bar. Lesson there is give the winners the champagne on the track and they wont need to do it in the bar :D

Maybe he is more used to riders chucking it down their throats :P:cheers:

• Like 2

Belle Vue declined to make Monday's fixture against the Bees a double header as 'they don't like the same visiting team involved in both meetings'.

This policy has clearly changed in the last 24 hours as they now have a double header scheduled on Mon 15th with Eastbourne the vistors in both meetings.

As usual, something fishy is going on re: trying to force a certain club out of the Playoffs. Happened to Peterborough last year.

Sounds like paranoia to me. Perhaps you sometimes reap what you sow. Maybe there are some regrets now in Coventry at being so uncooperative when Belle Vue wanted to change the date of a match earlier this year or, maybe, that has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps it is a commercial decision that two separate fixtures against the Bees will produce more revenue for the Aces than a double header whereas Eastbourne are not a draw at Kirky Lane so it doesn't make much difference.

Then again we are told that Belle Vue sent out dates for all outstanding fixtures so perhaps Coventry wouldn't agree to their suggested date.

Whatever the reasoning it will be nothing to do with their current promotion who are as much a part of the BSPA fraternity as any other promotion.

Past sins by promotions intent on bankrupting the sport with their philosophy of survival of the financially strongest have no relevance today.

everyone is entitled to an opinion and i agree sometimes with posts and disagree with others.

im not anti-poole im anti Mat Ford

there are some great Poole fans on here like foreverblue and dorsetdelight who when quite rightly defending there club they also listen to the other views and debate.

<personal attack removed>

Certain individuals defend the indefensible time after time. they are the same people 99 times out of 100 so their comments as i say are lack of intellect or trolling.

i respect your comments grachan ive seen the stuf you write and i will agree or disagree with you as i see fit.

If you read back in this thread i accuse Lakeside of cheating to get the meeting called off. Is that anti - poole?

Middlo is a clown with his daft twitter remarks and his interviews on Sky and im not the only person to point that out.

Is it anti poole to say that the rider that has brought shame to the sport in the last 2 years and is suspended rides for Poole?

everyone is entitled to an opinion and i agree sometimes with posts and disagree with others.

im not anti-poole im anti Mat Ford

there are some great Poole fans on here like foreverblue and dorsetdelight who when quite rightly defending there club they also listen to the other views and debate.

<personal attack removed>

Certain individuals defend the indefensible time after time. they are the same people 99 times out of 100 so their comments as i say are lack of intellect or trolling.

i respect your comments grachan ive seen the stuf you write and i will agree or disagree with you as i see fit.

If you read back in this thread i accuse Lakeside of cheating to get the meeting called off. Is that anti - poole?

Middlo is a clown with his daft twitter remarks and his interviews on Sky and im not the only person to point that out.

Is it anti poole to say that the rider that has brought shame to the sport in the last 2 years and is suspended rides for Poole?

over and over and over again! :D

I don't care which clubs were involved, it should not make any difference, i think we need to get away from this "because its Poole" mentality, its not about them, its about our sport being run in such a manner that the paying public no matter who they support are cheated!

When the rain came it was clear the track was in a bad way, a decision at this point was needed to be taken and the question was a simple one! can the track be made race worthy? if yes then how long would it take to make it that way and if not then the meeting is abandoned.

Note the wording Race Worthy, i do not simply mean you can ride on it, anyone with a bit experience on a motorbike can ride a speedway bike but racing a speedway bike is a different kettle of fish.

Fans pay to see riders race! not just ride around!

• Like 1

Sounds like paranoia to me. Perhaps you sometimes reap what you sow. Maybe there are some regrets now in Coventry at being so uncooperative when Belle Vue wanted to change the date of a match earlier this year or, maybe, that has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps it is a commercial decision that two separate fixtures against the Bees will produce more revenue for the Aces than a double header whereas Eastbourne are not a draw at Kirky Lane so it doesn't make much difference.

Then again we are told that Belle Vue sent out dates for all outstanding fixtures so perhaps Coventry wouldn't agree to their suggested date.

Whatever the reasoning it will be nothing to do with their current promotion who are as much a part of the BSPA fraternity as any other promotion.

Past sins by promotions intent on bankrupting the sport with their philosophy of survival of the financially strongest have no relevance today.

Lets assume Coventry cancelled that meeting. It wouldn't have been run at all before the deadline. Coventry have no dates - we already cannot fit in the Wolves meeting and need a double header with Eastbourne.

BV should be making sure they have rider available when they agree the dates in Jan/Feb.

Just for those who have forgotten about it the meeting at BV which was run in appalling conditions last September was actually the rearranged fixture from the BV fake burst water main incident............where they had riders who had missed flights allegedly.................

If that meeting had gone ahead originally none of this would have happened...................

And to be fair the Coventry track from what I have seen of it this year on TV has been appalling without bad weather intervening..............

As for the issues on Monday night.............it should have been abandoned when the rain came down.........Sky being there or not.................

RP

• Like 1

I don't care which clubs were involved, it should not make any difference, i think we need to get away from this "because its Poole" mentality, its not about them, its about our sport being run in such a manner that the paying public no matter who they support are cheated!

When the rain came it was clear the track was in a bad way, a decision at this point was needed to be taken and the question was a simple one! can the track be made race worthy? if yes then how long would it take to make it that way and if not then the meeting is abandoned.

Note the wording Race Worthy, i do not simply mean you can ride on it, anyone with a bit experience on a motorbike can ride a speedway bike but racing a speedway bike is a different kettle of fish.

Fans pay to see riders race! not just ride around!

spot on but a couple of Poole posters believe its anti poole when it isnt

Lets assume Coventry cancelled that meeting. It wouldn't have been run at all before the deadline. Coventry have no dates - we already cannot fit in the Wolves meeting and need a double header with Eastbourne.

BV should be making sure they have rider available when they agree the dates in Jan/Feb.

As I understand it, it was about February when the Aces first approached Coventry. If we waited for all clubs to agree the fixtures before issuing them the season would never get started. It has always worked on the basis that clubs will cooperate when requests are made in good time. Some do, some don't.

• Like 1

Some fans have cried, about not bothering to go to the speedway if they brought back 13 heats, saying it'll mean a cut of two races and wouldn't be worth it.

On the flip side, surely these fans, well, they would surely decide not to attend a match under the 15 heat guise... if rain threatened and the match's ultimate conclusion was questionable. They feel like they're would be short-changed for the 13 heat format, so 10 races (a possible rain-off) would perhaps similarly sway their thinking.

Promoters are short-thinking again. While they no doubt will rub their hands after a nice little earner and paying out for 10 heats, what they actually save on paying points money... could have been lost at the turnstiles, as fans don't wanna risk the chance of being short changed and plump for a night in.