British Speedway Forum

Lakeside Vs Poole 1st Sept (sky Meeting)

I know there's always lots of activity in the pits, more so when Sky are at a meeting but with 4 riders out on track ready to race obviously the decision to abandon the meeting after heat 10 wasn't agreed across the board.

Middlo wanted the meeting called off before heat 10. He'd subsequently said it was Lakeside's call to abandon the meeting (although it wasn't), but with a sniff of a point you'd imagine although he'd still role out the standard rider safety first stuff, he'd agreed to continue.

Sky - they wouldn't have wanted the meeting off.

The Ref had allowed the meeting to continue to the completion of heat 10, the track wasn't going to get any worse, he was heard to say during his conversation with the team mangers and captains that it would continue to improve as the meeting progressed - which it did.

Vatcher didn't seem convincing that he wanted the meeting abandoned, but Watt was prancing about like a spoilt brat who'd had their sweets taken away when he realised the riders were at the tapes for heat 11. He's well known for hating wet tracks, as was Tatum, and as captain is supposed to speak on behalf of his whole team. Except he obviously didn't last night as 2 of them were at tapes ready to race. So if he wasn't instrumental in the abandonment, who was?

No surprise to hear Tatum saying it should be off. He was the first one to be packing his gear away into the van if he didn't fancy it.

• Like 2

I am surprised Middlo knows which foot to put his left shoe in such was his differing opinions last night - plus the hypocrisy he has come out with.

It was clear what was said on the live transmission.

No surprise that someone watching an edited version/repeat wont have the full picture. Not that it usually stops them. :t:

So, now that Skidder 1 has kindly quoted the rules showing that it was Muddlo's call not Lakeside's how exactly were Lakeside cheating ?

Middlo said if they do 10 heats they can do 15. Yet he suddenly changes him mind just before the tapes go up for Heat 11.

No wonder he gets so much ridicule.

And Neil was right, he agreed to carry on under duress, because as you could all see, the track was not rideable, nevermind raceable, as also backed up by the riders, it was Lakesides call,

The rules say its the losing teams call .i.e. Pooles call and Starman still insists its Lakeside's call.

• Like 1

Okay, I've had a couple of days to calm down, and I've also had the chance to watch the tv coverage which was the recording of the live broadcast, not any repeats. I accept that the track was unfit for racing, but that was the case from the rain shower onwards. The meeting should have been abandoned right then. Rider safety should be paramount, but instead the only thing that seems to have mattered to Lakeside speedway was to get to that magic 10 heats.

Was there a decision to rip off the paying customers? I doubt it; but purely because I don't think anybody gave the paying customers a second thought. Once again we were treated with utter contempt. The assumption seems to be : We can make the fans stand around for an hour and then let them watch some riders slither around until we get a result because these are the diehard mugs that come whatever we do. They'll be back on Friday and any other day. It doesn't matter how shabbily we treat them, we know they'll put up with anything.

Look back over my posting history. I have always tried to be fair and supportive of the team and the promotion. I have backed them with my words, AND my cash. It breaks my heart to realise that as a loyal fan I don't matter to the club one iota as long as I keep parting with my money every week.

I haven't missed a match at Arena Essex in years, and my son just a handful. He even persuaded a group of his work mates to come last season. They took the micky out of him for weeks afterwards about the state of the "stadium". The sport is a joke outside it's hard core fan base. Unfortunately that group is treated as a joke by the people running the sport. If any promotor reads this, I imagine it'll be discarded as another moaning fan whose opinion doesn't matter. Problem is, the ones who have walked away now vastly outnumber the ones who stayed.

I love speedway, but I'm sick of being treated as a mug with cash to burn. I'm done.

• Like 6

So if this the official Ronnie Russell role it appears largely superflous, whilst giving him a licence to meddle and interfere?

Been told he takes the radios used by the stewards, refs and sky and the countdown clock for 2 minutes to sky meetings, although I was told he didn't fancy the drive to Berwick the other week so they didn't have either.

Been told he takes the radios used by the stewards, refs and sky and the countdown clock for 2 minutes to sky meetings, although I was told he didn't fancy the drive to Berwick the other week so they didn't have either.

I wonder what he gets paid for such an important job? :D

All those drawing comparisons with last season's BV fixture seem to be conveniently forgetting that Belle Vue were unable to restage the meeting before the cut-off, so if the BV meeting had been abandoned before heat 10, then Poole would have been awarded maximum away points anyway!!

Monday's meeting should simply have been abandoned when the rain came and rearranged as a double header for Friday. Simples. :P

All those drawing comparisons with last season's BV fixture seem to be conveniently forgetting that Belle Vue were unable to restage the meeting before the cut-off, so if the BV meeting had been abandoned before heat 10, then Poole would have been awarded maximum away points anyway!!

Not true. I wish it was as it would mean Coventry are already in the play-offs as we'd have the 4 points from the BV meeting that they seem to be in no rush to run and 3 points from the Cov/Wolves meeting that again, Wolves seem to be in no rush to agree a date to attend.

Okay, I've had a couple of days to calm down, and I've also had the chance to watch the tv coverage which was the recording of the live broadcast, not any repeats. I accept that the track was unfit for racing, but that was the case from the rain shower onwards. The meeting should have been abandoned right then. Rider safety should be paramount, but instead the only thing that seems to have mattered to Lakeside speedway was to get to that magic 10 heats.

Was there a decision to rip off the paying customers? I doubt it; but purely because I don't think anybody gave the paying customers a second thought. Once again we were treated with utter contempt. The assumption seems to be : We can make the fans stand around for an hour and then let them watch some riders slither around until we get a result because these are the diehard mugs that come whatever we do. They'll be back on Friday and any other day. It doesn't matter how shabbily we treat them, we know they'll put up with anything.

Look back over my posting history. I have always tried to be fair and supportive of the team and the promotion. I have backed them with my words, AND my cash. It breaks my heart to realise that as a loyal fan I don't matter to the club one iota as long as I keep parting with my money every week.

I haven't missed a match at Arena Essex in years, and my son just a handful. He even persuaded a group of his work mates to come last season. They took the micky out of him for weeks afterwards about the state of the "stadium". The sport is a joke outside it's hard core fan base. Unfortunately that group is treated as a joke by the people running the sport. If any promotor reads this, I imagine it'll be discarded as another moaning fan whose opinion doesn't matter. Problem is, the ones who have walked away now vastly outnumber the ones who stayed.

I love speedway, but I'm sick of being treated as a mug with cash to burn. I'm done.

Good post; YES every word you say is true. .

When the rain first came, the fans were considered then, but only because they didn't want to give out any re-admission tickets.

But those loyal fans who stood around for ages to witness the final few heats, were not given a second thought when it became possible to call the proceeding to a halt after Ht 10.

I have always gave the promoters some credit for the job they do, but talk about ' Don't kill the Goose' The 'Powers at B' are doing it with a bloody automatic shot-gun .

Sometimes, it appears, they haven't got a clue........

If any promotor reads this, I imagine it'll be discarded as another moaning fan whose opinion doesn't matter. Problem is, the ones who have walked away now vastly outnumber the ones who stayed.

Some pretty sad sentences there mate :(

But also true of this dying sport.

I saw a couple of heats on SKY but turned it off and found something better to do as it looked dire.

I do have sympathy for promoters regarding weather but the EL makes it's own problems by having too many matches and making the only thing that matters the Play Offs.

I can understand your pain as like most here have seen a lot of speedway and cannot understand why the powers that be treat the fans so shabbily.

My team disappeared a long time ago and nowadays I have much more interesting things to do than stand in a dilapidated shed waiting for something to happen.

The orange sentence sums up the sport here nowadays and it saddens me that it has come to that.

The fools squandered the Golden Goose and now desperation has set in and probably will remain until the sport is on the edge of extinction.

Too expensive, little or no value for money, fans treated like walking wallets.

The sport can do nothing to attract people like me back as foreign travel and heavy rock provide much more VFM for me than a live speedway match but to see those like yourself and TWK throw in the towel shows that realisation will have to eventually set in with these people but likely as not it will by then be too late.

When the sport begins to be seen as a joke not by the rest of the UK BUT by those that love it then it is really has reached and probably surpassed it's 'tipping point'.

I love the sport as much as anyone here but it has never gotten out of the 70s and that is a death sentence for something like speedway.

Bereft of cash, ideas and leadership it is drifting along closeted in it's own bubble of self righteousness oblivious to it's most important asset, the fans!

It will surely be ironic if we see the building of a new National Stadium but by then most diehards have done the same as yourself and discovered better things to do than hand large sums of hard earned money to an ungrateful promoter who could not care less what you think as long as he can get his hands on that cash.

• Like 1

Good post; YES every word you say is true. .

When the rain first came, the fans were considered then, but only because they didn't want to give out any re-admission tickets.

But those loyal fans who stood around for ages to witness the final few heats, were not given a second thought when it became possible to call the proceeding to a halt after Ht 10.

I have always gave the promoters some credit for the job they do, but talk about ' Don't kill the Goose' The 'Powers at B' are doing it with a bloody automatic shot-gun .

Sometimes, it appears, they haven't got a clue........

'The powers that be' is the expression you are looking for!

Not true. I wish it was as it would mean Coventry are already in the play-offs as we'd have the 4 points from the BV meeting that they seem to be in no rush to run and 3 points from the Cov/Wolves meeting that again, Wolves seem to be in no rush to agree a date to attend.

If you hadn't have cancelled the meeting in the first place you wouldn't be looking to get it rushed through.

Said it before and i will say it again - it was a ridiculous reason to cancel in the first place. Missing riders or not.

Part of me hopes we don't agree a date before the cut off date to ensure clubs don't cancel meetings to suit.

(yes, i know you will say both clubs agreed to it and it still holds no water)

If you hadn't have cancelled the meeting in the first place you wouldn't be looking to get it rushed through.

Said it before and i will say it again - it was a ridiculous reason to cancel in the first place. Missing riders or not.

Part of me hopes we don't agree a date before the cut off date to ensure clubs don't cancel meetings to suit.

(yes, i know you will say both clubs agreed to it and it still holds no water)

You know my thoughts on the calling it off. Said at the time it was stupid, think it eve more so now. All those Bees fans his blindly accepted it may not be quite so happy if it means we get the first leg of the play-off final so don't get to (at least try) and win the title at home.

You know my thoughts on the calling it off. Said at the time it was stupid, think it eve more so now. All those Bees fans his blindly accepted it may not be quite so happy if it means we get the first leg of the play-off final so don't get to (at least try) and win the title at home.

Yes we are in agreement over that.

The fact we are struggling to raise a team with our top 2 missing (and fixture clashes for our double uppers) i can see why Wolves aren't in no rush and why should they? We have riders missing just like the Bees did when they wanted it cancelled.

Its the modern disease in Speedway in cancelling to suit and the original cancelled clash come come back and bite the Bees hard. Such is life.

Edited by stevebrum

Naturally the rule - where a result is allowed after the tenth race - has perhaps persuaded clubs to cal time on many a match, sometimes perhaps too hastily.

Nigel Pearson always refers, when the weather is a little iffy, that the match has to get to blah blah, before a result can be permitted.

It is too easy to call time on matches. Promoters are more than happy with this rule, I suspect, as they save a third of their outlay on paying riders and obviously don't have to allow fans back in for free, for the next fixture.

Just me being cynical or the truth.

• Like 1

Why not so happy?

From a promoters point of view, you'll get just as big a crowd for the 1st leg, without the risk... 1st leg away and you get hammered (a la Birmingham last year) and you can get a lower crowd for the 2nd leg.

Tactically, far better to ride the 1st leg at home, you know exactly whats required then for the away leg..

And from a fans point of view, nothing better than winning the playoffs at another teams track, as I'm sure you are aware!

I accept that not all fans are able to travel..

• Like 1

All those drawing comparisons with last season's BV fixture seem to be conveniently forgetting that Belle Vue were unable to restage the meeting before the cut-off,

This is part of the problem too, the playoff cutoff is forcing clubs to get fixtures and results in before the deadline, hence a lot of heat 10 results.

Belle Vue declined to make Monday's fixture against the Bees a double header as 'they don't like the same visiting team involved in both meetings'.

This policy has clearly changed in the last 24 hours as they now have a double header scheduled on Mon 15th with Eastbourne the vistors in both meetings.

As usual, something fishy is going on re: trying to force a certain club out of the Playoffs. Happened to Peterborough last year.

• Like 5