British Speedway Forum

Ban Ward for 6 months, misses the Aussie Champs and therefore can't qualify for 2016 gps. I'd also think BSI should consider NOT giving him a wildcard for the next couple of years. That would be a fair punishment and we will still get to see him perform in the league.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Darcy has been caught over the limit and should be punished. Yes, I agree with that, but how many Ward and Poole haters on this forum have been to a match, had a couple of drinks in the bar before the racing and then one or two more afterwards, and then driven home. You are just as bad.

Edited by peatbog

how many Ward and Poole haters on this forum have been to a match, had a couple of drinks in the bar before the racing and then one or two more afterwards, and then driven home. You are just as bad.

with the price of beer (and the dishwater they serve) at most tracks I doubt anybody does ,

• Like 3

A TWO year ban, which is possible, would in the eyes of many effectively end Ward's speedway career. I am quite aware you were expressing your view ... I simply pointed out that it isn't shared by many in the various conversations being spouted here in Gorzow amongst fans, officials and riders. Doesn't mean you are right or wrong....

Why would it? If Billy Forsberg can do a comeback after 6 years and Antonio indbäck after a year and a half.

Surely Darcy should be able do the same?

• Like 1

YOU don't have to be an Einstein to speculate that possibly the delay in the FIM passing judgement could be because of legal implications. Just as the police stopping and breathalysing motorists have to conform to certain procedures so too do members of the FIM and their legal guy will no doubt have been going over everything that took place in Daugavpils with a fine tooth comb.

As you can imagine, there is a veil of silence over what goes on in Geneva and Ward's case is actually now outside the jurisdiction of the CCP (Track Racing Commission).

I would say that from off the record conversations and judging the mood of many here in Gorzow, a six months ban would fit with the consensus of opinion although many are sceptical that Darcy, as contrite as he obviously is, will actually learn a valuable lesson. Only time will tell.

I don't feel there is any great mood, at least amongst the speedway fraternity, to ban him for longer just as many here believe that Dudek should be dealt with leniently as a young first offender and that he will, in fact, learn by his mistake which does appear to have been naive at worst.

So are people saying that he's unlike to learn any lesson regarding the consequences of his stupidity so just give him a 6 month ban?

I can see why there's a consensus of breath tests being compulsory for all competitors at FIM events (should be all meetings really) going forward, but from some of the comments/tweets I've seen from top riders, I don't think many would be best pleased if Ward got with this offence lightly. Dudek, maybe. His misdemeanor does seem to have been more naivety than anything else, but anyone with an ounce of common sense know that alcohol doesn't rid itself from your body as quickly as it absorbs.

If the maximum penalty Ward gets is a 6 month ban, he'll be laughing! He'll miss out on the Aussie champs, won't get a chance to qualify for the GP series, could miss out until 2017, blah, blah, blah. If Monster are still involved as series sponsor, does anyone honestly think they won't have a sway in getting him a WC entry for 2015.

I'm not anti Ward, I'm not a fan either, but you can't deny he's fantastic to watch and I appreciate his speedway talent, but those rails have been wobbling for a good few years now, and unless someone or something pulls the brake he's going to go careering on until his comes off big time. A 12, 18 or 24 month ban may see him turn his back on the sport, but it may also give him time to sort himself out and come back older (although still in his speedway prime) wiser and better. Surely either's a better outcome than seeing another Mike Lee or Kelly Moran materialise?

• Like 3

A TWO year ban, which is possible, would in the eyes of many effectively end Ward's speedway career. I am quite aware you were expressing your view ... I simply pointed out that it isn't shared by many in the various conversations being spouted here in Gorzow amongst fans, officials and riders. Doesn't mean you are right or wrong....

To be frank, Ward should've thought about before going out drinking.

• Like 2

Darcy has been caught over the limit and should be punished. Yes, I agree with that, but how many Ward and Poole haters on this forum have been to a match, had a couple of drinks in the bar before the racing and then one or two more afterwards, and then driven home. You are just as bad.

Well if anybody does that these days then I have no sympathy at all and have no consideration for anybody else on the road at all....that is absolutely no defence for Ward to to come up with that ludicrous statement.

• Like 6

And if you do and are caught, try telling the magistrates that you had just recieved some bad news, see if they say 'OK thats understandable then, off you go and dont do it again' :drink:

• Like 3

So are people saying that he's unlike to learn any lesson regarding the consequences of his stupidity so just give him a 6 month ban?

I can see why there's a consensus of breath tests being compulsory for all competitors at FIM events (should be all meetings really) going forward, but from some of the comments/tweets I've seen from top riders, I don't think many would be best pleased if Ward got with this offence lightly. Dudek, maybe. His misdemeanor does seem to have been more naivety than anything else, but anyone with an ounce of common sense know that alcohol doesn't rid itself from your body as quickly as it absorbs.

If the maximum penalty Ward gets is a 6 month ban, he'll be laughing! He'll miss out on the Aussie champs, won't get a chance to qualify for the GP series, could miss out until 2017, blah, blah, blah. If Monster are still involved as series sponsor, does anyone honestly think they won't have a sway in getting him a WC entry for 2015.

I'm not anti Ward, I'm not a fan either, but you can't deny he's fantastic to watch and I appreciate his speedway talent, but those rails have been wobbling for a good few years now, and unless someone or something pulls the brake he's going to go careering on until his comes off big time. A 12, 18 or 24 month ban may see him turn his back on the sport, but it may also give him time to sort himself out and come back older (although still in his speedway prime) wiser and better. Surely either's a better outcome than seeing another Mike Lee or Kelly Moran materialise?

No because Lee and Kelly never got the help they deserved or a minimum they were entitled to. I know people will say i am wrong, but i like to back people see the positives of somebody Ward certainly does that puts bums on seats the ( Tyson) of speedway.He needs guidance that's odvious, but he will be ok,he has made mistakes SO what

we all do most days of the week i do so why are so many people damning?.

• Like 1

Well if anybody does that these days then I have no sympathy at all and have no consideration for anybody else on the road at all....that is absolutely no defence for Ward to to come up with that ludicrous statement.

Perhaps you need to read my post again. Where did I say that Ward made that statement?

Absolutely, anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car and drive after drinking deserve all they get IMO, as in this case does Ward.

• Like 1

No because Lee and Kelly never got the help they deserved or a minimum they were entitled to. I know people will say i am wrong, but i like to back people see the positives of somebody Ward certainly does that puts bums on seats the ( Tyson) of speedway.He needs guidance that's odvious, but he will be ok,he has made mistakes SO what

we all do most days of the week i do so why are so many people damning?.

I'm almost twice the age of Ward, and have made a couple of big mistakes in my time, yet I don't think I've made as many or as serious in my lifetime as he has in the past 2 years.

All the guidance has supposedly been there. He's had a stable base in the UK for years - ok, maybe not the mentor we all thought would go with it. But, he's had the likes of Holder, who was petulant himself early in his speedway career, Hancock and Crump offering advice. If he's not going to listen and learn from them, what or who will make him take stock of things?

I'm presuming that as all he's every really done in his adult life is be a speedway rider, being World Speedway Champion is the pinnacle he's always aimed for. Take that opportunity away for a year or two and he might learn, If he walks away from the sport, so be it. It obviously didn't mean as much to him as some think, or believe.

• Like 1

Are you trying to argue that Ward should receive a soft sentence?

He has done the Crime - now he must 'Do the Time'.

I like watching Darcy Ward - BUT - he seemed very arrogant when giving his interview regarding not being 'Hydrated'. He is a great Rider, true, but he needs to show more respect to Speedway and his Racing colleagues.

• Like 5

Never.

Not that it is anyway relevant, it's simply the argument of a child.. "But so and so did it too"

Perhaps you need to read my post again. Where did I say that Ward made that statement?

Doesn't matter how many times people read it, they remain childish words.

• Like 1

Are you trying to argue that Ward should receive a soft sentence?

He has done the Crime - now he must 'Do the Time'.

I like watching Darcy Ward - BUT - he seemed very arrogant when giving his interview regarding not being 'Hydrated'. He is a great Rider, true, but he needs to show more respect to Speedway and his Racing colleagues.

I rarely agree with you Ian, but spot on.

Just to pick up on the word respect, it something he has shown a distinct lack of for some time now..

I will respect the punishment from the FIM and once he's served it then he can come back if he wishes. For me, I have zero respect for Darcy Ward, good rider or not and if he turns his back on Speedway, I won't lose sleep over it.

You see, it works both ways Darcy dear!

• Like 3

BANNED for six months would mean he couldn't race in the Australian Championship and therefore not enter the qualifying rounds for the GP Challenge in 2015 ... so would have to come through the various rounds and the 2016 GP Challenge for 2017.

That's assuming he wouldn't be afforded a wild card place of course.

..........and would that not be his own stupid fault ?

• Like 2

I'm almost twice the age of Ward, and have made a couple of big mistakes in my time, yet I don't think I've made as many or as serious in my lifetime as he has in the past 2 years.

All the guidance has supposedly been there. He's had a stable base in the UK for years - ok, maybe not the mentor we all thought would go with it. But, he's had the likes of Holder, who was petulant himself early in his speedway career, Hancock and Crump offering advice. If he's not going to listen and learn from them, what or who will make him take stock of things?

I'm presuming that as all he's every really done in his adult life is be a speedway rider, being World Speedway Champion is the pinnacle he's always aimed for. Take that opportunity away for a year or two and he might learn, If he walks away from the sport, so be it. It obviously didn't mean as much to him as some think, or believe.

You said it yourself you have made a couple of big mistakes in your lifetime how are you entitled to be judge and jury.?Look we all no he has stuffed up he needs a bit of help i hope he gets it i hope he regroups and comes back stronger. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1