British Speedway Forum

No I wouldn't sydney - that would be very wrong.

As I said in earlier Posts, I believe that he should go through to the qualifiers for the 2017 GPs then, to my mind he will have served his punishment.

To give him a free pass to 2016 would be almost like condoning what he did - in my view. I do know that no-one condones riding whilst over the Limit but the seemingly unholy rush to get Ward back in to the GPs makes it look that way to me.

I love watching Darcy Ward race, he is one of the best Riders in the World - I know that. That does not excuse what he did though - or does it?

Very well put norbold. That is the nub of the whole argument.

He was banned from the qualifiers for 2016 - so his Ban should cover 2016 GPs - that is only logic..

Next year he gets a 'clean sheet' and, as long as he behaves himself and qualifies for 2017 - that would be brilliant as far as I am concerned.

Remember - yes he has done the Crime - and he has also served his time. He should NOT be pilloried every time he makes a Post.

Now this is a direct quote from you on a thread a year or two ago. Back then you were defending an offenders right to be treated the same as anybody else after having served their sentence.

Yet you now seem to advocate adding additional punishments at the end of a stipulated sentence.

Just to add to the irony the person you were defending was convicted crystal meth dealer. Fortunately for decent society this vermin is now dead and hopefully rotting in hell for eternity

• Like 3

Remember - yes he has done the Crime - and he has also served his time. He should NOT be pilloried every time he makes a Post.

Now this is a direct quote from you on a thread a year or two ago. Back then you were defending an offenders right to be treated the same as anybody else after having served their sentence.

Yet you now seem to advocate adding additional punishments at the end of a stipulated sentence.

Just to add to the irony the person you were defending was convicted crystal meth dealer. Fortunately for decent society this vermin is now dead and hopefully rotting in hell for eternity

How dare you point out that the moral compass of this forum is a hypocrite!!!!

• Like 2

To get back to more important matters, I think the second division was strongest in 1950. The top ten in the averages that year were:

1 Jack Young Edinburgh

2 Arthur Forrest Halifax

3 Alan Hunt Cradley Heath

4 Ken Le Breton Ashfield

5 Phil Clarke Norwich

6 Derick Close Newcastle

7 Bob Oakley Southampton

8 Tommy Miller Glasgow

9 Pete Lansdale Plymouth

10 Bob Leverenz Norwich

Those riders were already genuine superstars at that point – not just stars of the future.

All the best

Rob

To get back to more important matters, I think the second division was strongest in 1950. The top ten in the averages that year were:

1 Jack Young Edinburgh

2 Arthur Forrest Halifax

4 Ken Le Breton Ashfield

5 Phil Clarke Norwich

6 Derick Close Newcastle

7 Bob Oakley Southampton

8 Tommy Miller Glasgow

9 Pete Lansdale Plymouth

10 Bob Leverenz Norwich

Those riders were already genuine superstars at that point – not just stars of the future.

All the best

Rob

Im not trying to cause an argument here but i would define a superstar as some whos name carries the test of time - Ive never heard of any of them other than Jack Young, Whilst im sure they were very very good riders i think Superstars is pushing it

To some extent I agree. But IMO I'd say that riders like Emil and Ward who have dropped out of the GPs for lack of effort or bans should be made to earn their way back in. I know it's not a rule but I just think if you're going to throw something away then you should earn it back. I say that as an Emil fan and someone who thinks Ward is easily top 10 in the World (top 3 or 4 no doubt) and who wants to see the World best in the GPs. I've already said I'd happily compromise and let him have the GP qualifier wildcard (along with Zmarzlik) so he can try and qualify.

Others will see it as the wildcards have to be the best 4 riders, some (BSI) will see it that the 4 riders have the be the 4 most commercial riders and its why we'll never all agree.

Im not trying to cause an argument here but i would define a superstar as some whos name carries the test of time - Ive never heard of any of them other than Jack Young, Whilst im sure they were very very good riders i think Superstars is pushing it

You've never heard of Alan "Whacker" Hunt, "The White Ghost" Ken Le Breton, the "Black Prince" Arthur Forrest, or one of Scotland's greatest-ever riders, Tommy Miller? :o All legendary characters, every single one of them. :t:

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

1 Jack Young Edinburgh

2 Arthur Forrest Halifax

4 Ken Le Breton Ashfield

5 Phil Clarke Norwich

6 Derick Close Newcastle

7 Bob Oakley Southampton

8 Tommy Miller Glasgow

9 Pete Lansdale Plymouth

10 Bob Leverenz Norwich

All the best

Rob

You've never heard of Alan "Whacker" Hunt, "The White Ghost" Ken Le Breton, the "Black Prince" Arthur Forrest, or one of Scotland's greatest-ever riders, Tommy Miller? :o All legendary characters, every single one of them. :t:

All the best

Rob

You are so right Rob. All the riders are much respected - and rightly so - by speedway historians. All those named are indeed Speedway Legends. And I have the privilege of having seen them alll in speedway action.

Edited by Guest

Believe me, phillip, they were all greats of their time. Arthur Forrest came 3rd in the World Championship in 1956 at a time when speedway was dominated by Fundin, Craven, Moore and Briggs. Alan Hunt was the idol of the Birmingham fans, topping their averages every year from 1951 to 1956 and reaching three world finals. After Jack Young’s departure from Edinburgh at the end of 1951, Tommy Miller became the dominant force in second division racing. He was ranked in Stenner’s top 15 three years running and when he did mix with the top division boys showed he had what it took, maintaining a 13.06 average in 16 Test matches for Scotland against full England sides that included Freddie Williams, Split Waterman, Arthur Forrest and Eddie Rigg. Bob Leverenz was instrumental in getting Norwich promoted to Division 1 in 1951. The following year, only he Ronnie Moore and Jack Young finished with a 10 point plus average in the first division. And so on. Oh yes, phillip, they were all great riders of their time.

• Like 1

Bob Oakley finished 3rd in the 1952 World Final, although a Wembley rider by then.

Yes, he transferred over in the year in question (1950). So by the end of 1950, one of the ten riders in the list was holding down a position with the mighty Wembley Lions.

It's worth pointing out as well, that Jack Young (a second division rider) headed the qualifiers into the World Final in 1950. (Of course, in 1951, he was World Champion while still with Edinburgh).

All the best

Rob

As has been pointed out by me and others ad nauseam Oldace - his Ban covered the GP Qualifiers - so logically he should be Banned from the 2016 GP Series.

I do agree though - there is not much logic in Speedway.

Regarding my Post regarding BFD - my Statement still stands - once Ward has completed his FULL Sentence - I am happy to forgive and forget.

Unlike you with your deplorable last sentence in your Post.

• Like 1

As has been pointed out by me and others ad nauseam Oldace - his Ban covered the GP Qualifiers - so logically he should be Banned from the 2016 GP Series.

I do agree though - there is not much logic in Speedway.

Regarding my Post regarding BFD - my Statement still stands - once Ward has completed his FULL Sentence - I am happy to forgive and forget.

Unlike you with your deplorable last sentence in your Post.

What are you struggling to understand Ian. He has completed his FULL sentence, he is now eligible to be "considered" for a wildcard.

As for deplorable, I think you will find most people find it deplorable that you showed sympathy for a convicted crystal meth dealer. My only regret over his death is that it was relativley quick, it would have been nice if his suffering could have been dragged out a lot longer

• Like 2

What are you struggling to understand Ian. He has completed his FULL sentence, he is now eligible to be "considered" for a wildcard.

As for deplorable, I think you will find most people find it deplorable that you showed sympathy for a convicted crystal meth dealer. My only regret over his death is that it was relativley quick, it would have been nice if his suffering could have been dragged out a lot longer

I am sorry you see my comments that way. I think your comments regarding the death of BFD are way out of line.

We must agree to differ on both your Comments, and Ward.

Edited by The White Knight

I am sorry you see my comments that way. I think your comments regarding the death of BFD are way out of line.

We must agree to differ on both your Comments, and Ward.

I put your support of him down to ignorance. I think you really don't understand what substance this vile person was dealing in.

As for Ward, I didn't say he should get a wildcard or whether he will or not. Simply that he should be in the mix for consideration like any other rider

• Like 1

I put your support of him down to ignorance. I think you really don't understand what substance this vile person was dealing in.

As for Ward, I didn't say he should get a wildcard or whether he will or not. Simply that he should be in the mix for consideration like any other rider

I think that some of the Posts you have made on BFD show a lot more ignorance than mine Oldace. Are you continuing this argument because you regret yoour Statement and aren't sure how to get out of it? I sincerely hope so.

Of course what BFD did was very wrong - I said that at the time, and I am not condoning his behaviour but, he served his sentence.

Ward should NOT get a Wildcard for the reasons I have stated. He was Banned from the Qualifiers for the 2016 GPs - so - if he was Banned from the Qualifiers ie. was not allowed to take part in GP Qualifying - does that not imply that he should be Banned from entry to the 2016 GPs?

I hold that it does.

I await your logical answer - YES or NO will do.

Edited by The White Knight

I think that some of the Posts you have made on BFD show a lot more ignorance than mine Oldace. Are you continuing this argument because you regret yoour Statement and aren't sure how to get out of it? I sincerely hope so.

Of course what BFD did was very wrong - I said that at the time, and I am not condoning his behaviour but, he served his sentence.

Ward should NOT get a Wildcard for the reasons I have stated. He was Banned from the Qualifiers for the 2016 GPs - so - if he was Banned from the Qualifiers ie. was not allowed to take part in GP Qualifying - does that not imply that he should be Banned from entry to the 20216 GPs?

I hold that it does.

Regret my statement? most certainly not. In fact it was toned down because my real feeling may have got me a ban

20216. You really do have it in for Darcy, thats a hell of a ban

• Like 2

Ward should NOT get a Wildcard for the reasons I have stated. He was Banned from the Qualifiers for the 2016 GPs - so - if he was Banned from the Qualifiers ie. was not allowed to take part in GP Qualifying - does that not imply that he should be Banned from entry to the 20216 GPs?

I hold that it does.

Has Starman hacked your account?

• Like 1

Regret my statement? most certainly not. In fact it was toned down because my real feeling may have got me a ban

20216. You really do have it in for Darcy, thats a hell of a ban

Typo - Edited.

Thank you for pointing it out. :t:

Ward should NOT get a Wildcard for the reasons I have stated. He was Banned from the Qualifiers for the 2016 GPs - so - if he was Banned from the Qualifiers ie. was not allowed to take part in GP Qualifying - does that not imply that he should be Banned from entry to the 2016 GPs?

I hold that it does.

No
  • Like 1