British Speedway Forum

Very harsh Ove,do you punish Ward forever ? or let it go and hope he does not mess up again.The GP series at the moment looks stale Tai, Emil, Ward are in my opinion the best three riders in the world why would you not want them all in it.?

No I wouldn't sydney - that would be very wrong.

As I said in earlier Posts, I believe that he should go through to the qualifiers for the 2017 GPs then, to my mind he will have served his punishment.

To give him a free pass to 2016 would be almost like condoning what he did - in my view. I do know that no-one condones riding whilst over the Limit but the seemingly unholy rush to get Ward back in to the GPs makes it look that way to me.

I love watching Darcy Ward race, he is one of the best Riders in the World - I know that. That does not excuse what he did though - or does it?

I think the knowledge that he cannot just walk back in and carry on as if nothing happened, and he has to qualify by right, will be a constant reminder that he has to behave himself.

Why can't he be put back in? It's over it's a new day, turn over the page. He did wrong and took his punishment, now get on with it.

What do you want him to do, wear a hair shirt?

As I said in earlier Posts, I believe that he should go through to the qualifiers for the 2017 GPs then, to my mind he will have served his punishment.

To give him a free pass to 2016 would be almost like condoning what he did - in my view. I do know that no-one condones riding whilst over the Limit but the seemingly unholy rush to get Ward back in to the GPs makes it look that way to me.

I love watching Darcy Ward race, he is one of the best Riders in the World - I know that. That does not excuse what he did though - or does it?

Where in the FIM judgement did it state he shhould be excluded from being given a wildcard? His punishment was to serve a ban and he's done it. End of.

If BSI want to wildcard him it's their perogative. They ARE running their business.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I have no sympathy with Darcy Ward and think he is a loathsome individual but he has served the punishment he was given

You can't keep adding further punishments as you go along.

As such Darcy should now be considered as would any other rider for one of the 4 wildcards.

That is not to say he will get one, wildcards are for commercial reasons as well and the organizers may feel it is not the right time to offer him one (although I suspect they will)

• Like 1

Where in the FIM judgement did it state he shhould be excluded from being given a wildcard? His punishment was to serve a ban and he's done it.

It doesn't, of course. But the ban he served ruled him out of the GPs and the GP qualifiers. The consequence of which is that he shouldn't be able to qualify for next year's Grand Prix. Perhaps the ban was fixed for that length of time for that reason?

• Like 4

It doesn't, of course. But the ban he served ruled him out of the GPs and the GP qualifiers. The consequence of which is that he shouldn't be able to qualify for next year's Grand Prix. Perhaps the ban was fixed for that length of time for that reason?

Very well put norbold. That is the nub of the whole argument.

He was banned from the qualifiers for 2016 - so his Ban should cover 2016 GPs - that is only logic..

Next year he gets a 'clean sheet' and, as long as he behaves himself and qualifies for 2017 - that would be brilliant as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

Bit of a Catch 22.

The FIM would know that BSI can wildcard him in but (from what I've read on here & if it's true) they need FIM's ok.

Edited by pugwash

I don't think it was tbh. A ban to end of Jan would have been enough to rule him out of the qualifiers by missing the Aussie champs.

While the ban he got has him back in time for a wildcard for thegp challenge - fim would surely have banned him til after that if they wanted to make sure he couldn't qualify.

• Like 2

People keep asserting things about wildcards as if they are 'facts' when they are not.

That they are, or at least SHOULD, only to be given in certain circumstances, for certain reasons, to deserving cases.

Utter nonsense.

That has never been said, announced, laid down in regulations, or even intimated by anyone in power.

At all. Ever.

I don't think anyone as suggested wildcards are only given to deserving cases, we all know it is not the case. But it should be the case in my opinion!

This is getting a bit daft now.

People seem to want to be mind readers.

Mystically gaining insight into the mind of the CDI judge.

He was banned for a specific period of time. To a certain date in the Calendar.

That is the end of the matter.

No suspended sentence was given. No probationary return was laid down.

He is a free man.

He is able to be offered any wildcard for any meeting or series. Just like any other rider.

But ONLY if those people or bodies who hold it in their gift decide to do so and can get it past the FIM ratification.

Personally, I would not do so.

But I think if they can swing it, they will.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

He was banned for a specific period of time. To a certain date in the Calendar.

That is the end of the matter.

Not for some on here it's not. They have it in their minds that they want to see him grovel but come out with a load of smoke like 'don't get me wrong I love to see him ride' or some such flannel.

Get over it. he's served his ban, he's back riding and it's odds on that BSI will give him a GP place as it's good for business.

3 of the wild cards are probaly already sorted - darcy :approve: , emil :approve: , harris or some other wretched brit to appease the cardiff masses :sad: . One left probably AJ :unsure:.

Is not Hampel worthy of a wild card.

In your rush to give Darcy a wild card you forgot someone many would consider as worthy of one.

And if the current 3 Aussies qualify by right, do the gp's need a 4th one.

Quite true.

And I imagine these are the real considerations that will matter when BSI, and their usual confidants, come to mull these things over.

Once the Top 8 and Challenge qualifiers are known.

They could be helped in that deliberation by the 'right choice' of wildcard at the Challenge, of course.

In your rush to give Darcy a wild card you forgot someone many would consider as worthy of one.

He certainly is (forgot about him).

So darcy, emil, jarek + harris or some other wretched brit to appease the cardiff masses. :wink:

There are FOUR wildcards. I think those advocating one for ward would also agree that hampel and Emil deserve one - for me those are the three "certainties" assuming they want one, and there are not three Aussies/poles already qualified.

In the unlikely event that there are 3 Aussies already I would guess ward misses out. Same for hampel in the more likely scenario that 3 poles are already in.

Fwiw I'd give them wildcards even if it meant 4 from a nation

• Like 1

He certainly is (forgot about him).

So darcy, emil, jarek + harris or some other wretched brit to appease the cardiff masses. :wink:

I don't get the 'wretched Brit' statement.

I think it's pretty obvious that Harris won't get a pick if he's not in the top 8, just like in 2013.

Now we've got Woffy there's no need for a second Brit.

I don't know why people keep mentioning Sayfutdinov or to a lesser extent Laguta, as it seems to me they don't want to know.

I've never agreed with seeding 4 riders into the series (wasn't it Billy Hamill that started it all in 99) but as we've got them I'd definitely have Ward in, along with Hampel.

I'd like to see Lindback back in because when he's 'on it' he's a joy to watch. Jonasson doesn't really add to the series and Jonsson is more miss than hit these days..

...oh and not forgetting Kildemand of course, as we need someone crazier than Nicki out there!

• Like 2

Imo it's a bit too early to speculate about wild cards. Too much of the GP-series still remain and then there's the GP-challenge in Rybnik.

I think Lindbäck have a very good chance at being top 3 in Rybnik. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindbäck + Pawlickis go through.

• Like 1

Imo it's a bit too early to speculate about wild cards. Too much of the GP-series still remain and then there's the GP-challenge in Rybnik.

I think Lindbäck have a very good chance at being top 3 in Rybnik. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindbäck + Pawlickis go through.

Lindback will be in the GPs next season. He'll either qualify or get a wildcard as there no way THJ is finishing top 8 and TBH, I'd not put money on AJ finishing top 8 either.

Yep, hopefully Lindback and Pawlicki jnr both make it through the GP challenge. would be nice if Kildermand could make top 8.

If a Brit is going to be given a wildcard, i reckon it would be Lambert rather than Harris, though in reality would probably be a season or two too early. I'd be happy enough to see Harris make top 3 in the Challenge though

So in conclusion: the NL WAS full of journeymen and mediocre riders. Sounds like we're all agreed

well, this thread seems to have somehow got off topic, and people are talking about Darcy someone.

Have pulled out my old 80s rankings, and by my reckoning, only 5 NL riders were in 1982 were in the world's top 100 riders (Joe Owen the highest ranked at 55th), then Wigg, Lawson, Hunter and Dixon).

I thought initially that this would reinforce the view that the NL was of a generally mediocre standard.

But then I looked at the latest 2015 Dolgin rankings, and saw that he has assessed 1600 riders who have ridden competitive meetings somewhere in the world in the last two years.

Assuming in 1982 that even 75% of this number rode, that gives 1200 riders, of whom you could argue that those ranked say 400-800th in the world might be mediocre.

Most NL riders (the main body of the team at least) would rank higher than that - so I've changed my mind, they may have been mediocre by British standards, but by world standards they were pretty good!