British Speedway Forum

BSI will presumably want him in their competition, he's good for biz!

And that's what it's all about at the end of the day - so to speak: providing a product with the VERY BEST available talent. And Darcy Ward fits into that category of rider.

Ward has served his time and the more I think about it, the more I believe that should not play any part in wildcard decisions.

The 4 wildcard spots should be used for the best available riders not currently in the GP. Ward is one of those.

You seem to have gone over to the Darcy side.....I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere. 😉
  • Like 1

And that's what it's all about at the end of the day - so to speak: providing a product with the VERY BEST available talent. And Darcy Ward fits into that category of rider.

If thats the case, why suspend/ban him in the first place.

And lets all agree to £1 be put on every GP seat sold and the money raised go to Emil who says he cant afford to enter the GPs.

Nonsense.

If anyone wants to "play" the game, they need to abide by the rules.

Anyone falling foul of the rules should have fully thought out the consequences before hand - fully thought out

• Like 2

Ward has served his time and the more I think about it, the more I believe that should not play any part in wildcard decisions.

The 4 wildcard spots should be used for the best available riders not currently in the GP. Ward is one of those.

Correct, however much he is a loathsome individual the World Speedway Championship is not a popularity contest, it is a competition to find the best speedway rider in the world and Ward is a contender so on that basis and as such should get a wildcard

If thats the case, why suspend/ban him in the first place.

And lets all agree to £1 be put on every GP seat sold and the money raised go to Emil who says he cant afford to enter the GPs.

Nonsense.

If anyone wants to "play" the game, they need to abide by the rules.

Anyone falling foul of the rules should have fully thought out the consequences before hand - fully thought out

The consequences were a 10 month ban, which he has now served.

• Like 2

The consequences of a ban from any sport can be far more reaching then the actual length of the ban.

It looks like Darcy has landed on his feet running, if his initial results since returning carry on.

He could have well been out of sorts and not performing very well, and depending on an athletes age and bodily "make up" they may never make it back to the level they were or achieve their full potential that was there before.

Tough, thats a high price to pay, but they should have thought it out before the misdeamor took place. Same with Darcy.

Its disappointing to see a good racer not in the GP's, but ethics cannot be weakened just to bring someone in before others who have played by the rules.

• Like 2

I quite agree - HE can't.

But those who reward him for his bad behaviour can - and should be.

Ward was convicted, charged of the offense & served his ban. Don't you think that is know a closed chapter ? Regarding wild cards, i would think Hampel should get one.The rest should be on merit. I attend a minimum of 5 GPs a year, i like to watch the best riders in the world, sadly we are not. I'd love to see Emil, Laguta, Kildemand in the GP. Take Wards 3 meetings back, have been remarkable. So IF Ward is still riding at the end of the season like he is know, i feel he should get a wild card on merit & nothing else!

Ward was convicted, charged of the offense & served his ban. Don't you think that is know a closed chapter ? Regarding wild cards, i would think Hampel should get one.The rest should be on merit. I attend a minimum of 5 GPs a year, i like to watch the best riders in the world, sadly we are not. I'd love to see Emil, Laguta, Kildemand in the GP. Take Wards 3 meetings back, have been remarkable. So IF Ward is still riding at the end of the season like he is know, i feel he should get a wild card on merit & nothing else!

Part of the consequence of his ban was that he missed out on selection for the GPs. His ban was only part of his punishment. He has to suffer the full consequences of his actions otherwise he will not learn from them.

• Like 4

Part of the consequence of his ban was that he missed out on selection for the GPs. His ban was only part of his punishment. He has to suffer the full consequences of his actions otherwise he will not learn from

Well if what you have stated is correct, he will NOT get a wild card, simple!!

Well if what you have stated is correct, he will NOT get a wild card, simple!!

He shouldn't but I bet he will be such is the influence of Monster, BSI and a morally corrupt selection process.

He (Ward) should qualify for the GPs - he has missed qualification for 2016 by his own total stupidity it seems to me. That makes it part of his punishment in my view.

Once he qualifies for 2017 - I have no problem.

If he gets a place in 2016 what does that say about the qualifying System and what does it say to other Riders who could/should be there in his place.

The fact is that Ward being given a Wild Card would be very, very wrong.

Like Emil then ?common sense would be to have both in it Woffinden,Ward,Emil (no order) are the best three riders in the world in my opinion.

Why WK? surely speedway wants its premier prize to have the best riders in it.?

I agree - but in Ward's case he has transgressed - he was Banned for a certain length of time. Due to this he missed the so called qualifiers for the GPs in 2016 so missing out on 2016 GPs is part of his punishment. Remember sydney - he got himself in to this trouble - nobody forced him. Had he not been caught - a Rider could have been seriously hurt or worse.

• Like 3

Have to agree with Sidney I'm afraid twk, I reckon wards served his time and should get a wild card next year. If he gets treated differently to other riders that's because he is different to other riders. I'm talking the good points here ie on a bike. As you often quote twk we will have to have different opinions on this one but still respect those opinions

• Like 1

He shouldn't but I bet he will be such is the influence of Monster, BSI and a morally corrupt selection process.

He (Ward) should qualify for the GPs - he has missed qualification for 2016 by his own total stupidity it seems to me. That makes it part of his punishment in my view.

Once he qualifies for 2017 - I have no problem.

If he gets a place in 2016 what does that say about the qualifying System and what does it say to other Riders who could/should be there in his place.

The fact is that Ward being given a Wild Card would be very, very wrong.

I agree - but in Ward's case he has transgressed - he was Banned for a certain length of time. Due to this he missed the so called qualifiers for the GPs in 2016 so missing out on 2016 GPs is part of his punishment. Remember sydney - he got himself in to this trouble - nobody forced him. Had he not been caught - a Rider could have been seriously hurt or worse.

Simon Wigg was banned in 1985 but was allowed to be a part of the selection process for 1986. Are you suggesting it is corrupt to have allowed him in.

Darcy was banned until July this year, as from now he is eligible for the selection process for next year. As always there are 4 wildcard picks so as legally competing rider why should he not be considered for one of them.

He has served the punishment meted out and the slate is clean, until the next indiscretion (probably not far away) and so he should be considered as anyone else would be.

• Like 3

Simon Wigg was banned in 1985 but was allowed to be a part of the selection process for 1986. Are you suggesting it is corrupt to have allowed him in.

Darcy was banned until July this year, as from now he is eligible for the selection process for next year. As always there are 4 wildcard picks so as legally competing rider why should he not be considered for one of them.

He has served the punishment meted out and the slate is clean, until the next indiscretion (probably not far away) and so he should be considered as anyone else would be.

That is one viewpoint Oldace - you are entitled to your view - I just don't agree with you.

Sorry.

I don't care how many people want to see Darcy Ward ride in the 2016 GPs - because you want to see him doesn't make a Free Pass for him right - especially in view of his transgressions.

• Like 1

Have to agree with Sidney I'm afraid twk, I reckon wards served his time and should get a wild card next year. If he gets treated differently to other riders that's because he is different to other riders. I'm talking the good points here ie on a bike. As you often quote twk we will have to have different opinions on this one but still respect those opinions

In some ways i can see WKs point, he like myself does not really like the GP series qualifying system a bit of a closed shop the day of a UNDERDOG having his day has long gone.Ward i am a fan, but he got a ten month ban but stopping him riding in the GP series and making him have to qualify would of really HURT him.Now if i am being honest thing's have not really hurt him, i would rather he had got a massive great fine that going towards the injured riders Ben fund.I am saying this because any real speedway fan wants Ward doing what he does best riding speedway i have to admit though he did get off lightly with his punishment. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

That is one viewpoint Oldace - you are entitled to your view - I just don't agree with you.

Sorry.

I don't care how many people want to see Darcy Ward ride in the 2016 GPs - because you want to see him doesn't make a Free Pass for him right - especially in view of his transgressions.

He was punished for his one FIM transgression - nothing more or less. Move on.

Edited by Skidder1