British Speedway Forum

I used to watch PL speedway regularly at Sheffield. Watching it, you form your own ideas of who are brilliant riders and who are not so good.

It was a shock to see how different the levels are, when riders at that time I thought were brilliant would ride in the EL and suddenyl be completely outclassed.

EL was a lot stronger in those days, mind.

I would have thought it was time to retire this thread now.

It once had ambition, full of drive, with a future.

It was an Elite thread.

But it has now dropped back into the lower division.

Scoring just the easy points against rather mediocre debaters.

It has become a Journeyman itself.

A sort of self parody.

And then we can start a new thread about DW when he next does something worth chatting about.

Good or Bad. As he surely will do one or other.

Or even both.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

I would have thought it was time to retire this thread now.

It once had ambition, full of drive, with a future.

It was an Elite thread.

But it has now dropped back into the lower division.

Scoring just the easy points against rather mediocre debaters.

It has become a Journeyman itself.

A sort of self parody.

And then we can start a new thread about DW when he next does something worth chatting about.

Good or Bad. As he surely will do one or other.

Or even both.

We're just keeping the thread alive until Darcy gives us more to talk about... and keep chasing the record of the infamous Norbolds hole!

He rode PL but not NL and he consider by some to be the most naturally talented rider ever. Proof the PL is better!

Technically, he rode for Boston in the 2008 Conference League, which is now the National League. ;)

Also, I'm going to pull BWitcher up for calling the National League from the 1970s and 1980s as "the old National League". Nope it was actually called "The New National League" in 1975. The old National League ran from 1932 to 1964. :wink:

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Technically, he rode for Boston in the 2008 Conference League, which is now the National League. ;)

Also, I'm going to pull BWitcher up for calling the National League from the 1970s and 1980s as "the old National League". Nope it was actually called "The New National League" in 1975. The old National League ran from 1932 to 1964. :wink:

All the best

Rob

You can't have both of them.... If you can call the CL the NL then BWitcher is ok calling it the old NL, as thats what it is now :P One of the other :P

You can't have both of them.... If you can call the CL the NL then BWitcher is ok calling it the old NL, as thats what it is now :P One of the other :P

1932-1964: The "old" National League

1975: Official name - the New National League

1976-1990: The "new" National League

2010 onwards: The National Development League

;)

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

All the best

Rob

Talking of the old National League have we discussed the 1934 National League Second Division yet? Tommy Price, George Wilks, Wal Morton, Alec Statham, Mike Erskine and Acorn Dobson all rode in that one.

Edited by norbold

Talking of the old National League have we discussed the 1934 National League Second Division yet? Tommy Price, George Wilks, Wal Morton, Alec Statham, Mike Erskine and Acorn Dobson all rode in that one.

Must have been a fairly young Tommy Price at that point, Norbold. Were the others all youngsters, or were any established top riders?

I think you were on a better bet with the NL2 of the early fifties.... wasn't Ken Le Breton in there alongside Jack Young? And I'm sure a THIRD Division rider qualified for the World Final one year, although it's escaped me who it was...

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

All the best

Rob

The formation of a second division in 1968 was called just that, the second division. In 1975 it was renamed the "New National League" the new to distinguish it from the original National League which as you say, ran until 1964 but was the top division then. The New National league ran for two years if I recall before being re branded in 1977 to simply the National League.

The name "National League" has now been used to name all three of the divisions of British Speedway

The formation of a second division in 1968 was called just that, the second division. In 1975 it was renamed the "New National League" the new to distinguish it from the original National League which as you say, ran until 1964 but was the top division then. The New National league ran for two years if I recall before being re branded in 1977 to simply the National League.

The name "National League" has now been used to name all three of the divisions of British Speedway

Oldace, yes I've posted all that already, you're about half an hour behind. :wink: Incidentally, the NNL only existed in 1975; it was called just the NL in 1976, although many programmes still referred to it as the NNL.

ALl the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

All the best

Rob

Damn you. :)

• Like 1

Geoff Mardon qualified as reserve.

Sorry, that was a reply to Rob's question about which 3rd Division rider qualified for the World Final.

Cheers Norbold - so the National League Division Three of 1947 to 1951 was much stronger than the NDL of today then. ;)

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Before the Shawcross report and the merger of the two leagues, wasn't the Provincial League (technically a 2nd division) home to a large number of decent riders? Due to the lack of numbers in the top flight then?

There were a few (a certain Mr Mauger for starters), although the old National League riders were like golddust in the British League, hence the introduction of rider control.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam