British Speedway Forum

In sport it does seem the more bankable the name the more mitigation, leniency etc. is talked about - I wasn't surprised to turn my telly on last nite and see one Suarez playing for Barcelona despite a worldwide ban for biting an opponent and being treated like a hero. I despair sometimes

Part of the deal was that he took out the Spanish 'Denplan' insurance - for all opponents!! :D

• Like 1

Because the person concerned has a recognisable and well- known name in a sport is of no relevance what so ever, at this moment in time. It is the actions taken which caused a result to take place, and found to be beyond the allotted rules of the governing body, and should be treated as such. 1+1 still add up to 2 and 2+2 still make 4 no matter who does the maths. So the resulting outcome should still be the same. You cannot make allowances for a professor doing the maths, to a student doing the same.

Haven't you got that wrong going by the above amounts: 0.2 promille = 10mg/litre therefore Darcy's 0.5 promille = 25mg/litre and 0.3 promille = 15mg/litre?

Yes I did hsve it wrong. Looks like darcy was under uk drink drive limit (37mcg for breath test), but closer to the limit than to zero.

The guy who knocked down my daughter 'only had a few' the night before. She survived - with a brain injury.

Nobody should drive /ride with alcohol in their system - under any circumstances. No news is that bad that you have to drink and drive/ride. You do one or the other - not both.

Darcy Ward was willing to risk his own life - and those of all the other riders he would have ridden against, had he not been caught. If he gets a minor suspension I will be angry - not because of who the rider is, but because of the potential harm he (or any other rider in the same circumstances) could have inflicted on others.

great post spot on

Can only agree with what's already been said.

Darcy is a fantastic talent on a speedway bike (probably the best I've seen at such a young age), but he needs to get himself sorted out before he loses it all. Poole have backed him to the hilt when lots of other clubs wouldn't have, but they won't keep backing him if he keeps popping up in the headlines for the wrong reason, and Matt Ford has already gone on record as saying he has to get his life sorted out

An 8 to 10 month ban for me would give him time to maybe take stock of his life and decide what he actually wants. Yes it might seem tough from his point of view, but it seems he has to learn the hard way.

As for turning up at work with a hang-over, well I've never done that and I suspect if I did, then I would be sent home immediately.

I think it's been mentioned already, but I also checked the length of Stefan Danno's ban... it was 8 months. Would ban Darcy to around mid-April 2015.... that seems around the right punishment to me. It is a real punishment, but would leave the door open for, hopefully, a wiser Darcy Ward to return next year.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

I think it's been mentioned already, but I also checked the length of Stefan Danno's ban... it was 8 months. Would ban Darcy to around mid-April 2015.... that seems around the right punishment to me. It is a real punishment, but would leave the door open for, hopefully, a wiser Darcy Ward to return next year.

All the best

Rob

It's a slightly better punishment. It would, perhaps, give Matt Ford a bit of a problem as regards working out his team for the start of the season. Considering Ward's 'previous' perhaps his punishment should be linked with attendance at drug/alcohol awareness sessions or attendance at counselling sessions. He really does need to look at his behaviour - and 'tough love' is needed. If his managers etc. really care about him they will not let him get away with this - again.

• Like 1

There has been some very educational posts on this thread, and it is agreed that individuals react differently to situations of bad or distressing news,(self not excluded). But one thing is FACT, when the bottle is empty, or the cans are thrown away, the cause is still there that has to be faced and dealt with.

• Like 4

There is an article in Swedish about Darcy : http://www.mvt.se/sport/speedway/?articleid=10070558

According to Tony Olsson who have been in contact with FIM, the FIM jury (there lawyers and disciplinary department) are currently working on it and will get to a decision

as soon as possible. FIM are aware of that Darcy's Swedish team have a meeting tonight and Tony Olsson thinks there will be decision taken today.

I think 8 months would be a bit to little since it would not have any meaning since he would do the surgery and then be back in time for next years season.

He would have a ban but how much racing would he miss? Hardly any.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Rob

What is the point of an eight month ban if most of that is out of season.

If it to 8 months, it starts at Latvia GP till end of season (whichever is the latest to finish - Polish, Swedish or UK) and then picks up again at the start of next season.

A ban during the winter is no ban at all.

Why should FIM have to rush a decision just cause a rider has a schedule meeting tonight.

As long as FIM dont linger I dont think they should be pushed - after all, if the rider had passed the alcohol test he would have been riding tonight, he didnt pass the test so if he sits out another meeting so be it - his fault no one elses.

• Like 1

What is the point of an eight month ban if most of that is out of season.

If it to 8 months, it starts at Latvia GP till end of season (whichever is the latest to finish - Polish, Swedish or UK) and then picks up again at the start of next season.

A ban during the winter is no ban at all.

Why should FIM have to rush a decision just cause a rider has a schedule meeting tonight.

As long as FIM dont linger I dont think they should be pushed - after all, if the rider had passed the alcohol test he would have been riding tonight, he didnt pass the test so if he sits out another meeting so be it - his fault no one elses.

I think 8 months is sufficient and also it is the precedent set with Stefan Danno.

It is a punishment - it rules out any chance of him finishiing in top 8 this year, because I doubt if the FIM/BSI would give a 2015 wildcard to a banned rider. And if Darcy is not in the 2015 GP series, I can't see Monster backing him next season. So he loses the GP and a major sponsor.

At the same time, it would allow him to do what he does best from mid-next-April - riding a speedway bike.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

I think 8 months is sufficient and also it is the precedent set with Stefan Danno.

It is a punishment - it rules out any chance of him finishiing in top 8 this year, because I doubt if the FIM/BSI would give a 2015 wildcard to a banned rider. And if Darcy is not in the 2015 GP series, I can't see Monster backing him next season. So he loses the GP and a major sponsor.

At the same time, it would allow him to do what he does best from mid-next-April - riding a speedway bike.

All the best

Rob

Out of interest Rob what time of year did Danno's suspension start?

EDIT just found it.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Speedway%3A+GP+stunner+for+Danno.-a068355819

Commited the offence in September,

He was banned in December meaning he could not race until the following August, so effectively nearly a whole season

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 1

I read somewhere today that Ward whilst sorry does not see why he should either be fined or banned. If true it shows a complete denial of any responsibility or culpability for his actions.

• Like 7

Not what the link says, unless of course Danno was suspended pending the hearing and the ban started from then.

I think he was initially suspended from riding for 30 days, before the proper hearing was heard.

It was late May 2001 when he was allowed to ride again, though, so it was 8 months after the offence.

All the best

Rob