British Speedway Forum

Thats a laugh - I'd have not commented after my first post if there hadn't been reaction to it. Of course I didn't realise at the time this was a 'closed' thread 'reserved ONLY for anti-Ward comments' so apologies for butting in. :D

Thankyou for confirming what I said.. even though you attempt to dismiss it with 'that's a laugh'..

Read what you have said.. "If there hadn't been reaction to it". So if you hadn't of posted, there would have been no reaction would there? But by posting, and continuing to post you are ensuring it will drag on and on and on.. which you 'claim' you don't want to happen.

IN what seems like a million years ago when I was a soccer scribe I spent a great deal of time watching George Best's career go down the tubes ... I was angry that I was being denied the chance to enjoy and write about a football genius. Best actually spent some of his last, sad days sitting on his own in a Surbiton pub near our office.

I feel much the same about Ward now. I don't pretend to be close to him, generations apart, but I sat behind him on the flight back from Riga this morning and couldn't help but feel sorry for the lad. He has been foolish and stupid (again) but there should be no rejoicing in his downfall. We are all the losers, as we were with Best.

Can't disagree with this ion any way. I think the important word is again. He should of course be judged for this offence on its own but someone in the sport or his family needs to take control here because you cannot help to think he needs help. Clearly those close to him now should give up as they are simply not getting through, maybe the authorities can help him by taking him out of the spotlight.

We should not forget that he is an overseas rider who needs a work permit to ply his trade in the UK, accepting this particular incident occurred in Latvia, should he not be a sportsman would he be continually allowed to reside in the UK with a working permit. Australia are very strict on who is allowed in and maybe we need to help him in some way, not sure if denying a work permit here would help as no doubt the rest of Europe would continue to let him ride but something needs to be done to help as well as punish him

Understand the sentiment of the Best comparison but Best was not putting other peoples life at risk after having a drink

Not sure of the answer but lets be honest do any of us really believe we will not see Darcy Ward involved in some sort of scrape again sooner rather than later ?

Edited by Chris Brown
  • Like 1

I take some exception (not a lot really) to being called "a Ward hater"

I love his exciting riding style, just what the sport and us fans need.

I dislike what he has done in his "private" life (which never can be private when in the public eye)

but my reaction to his negative test before a gp is that he has broke the rules full stop.

and the rules must be followed when dishing out the punishment.

No one, absolutely no one, is bigger then the sport they chose to be in.

The longer before real discipline (and that can include help) is given the worse a situation can get and the longer it will take to bring the person in line with what is expected.

i wouldnt think any of the posters on here want Ward out of the sport, far from it. I do think most if not all would want Ward sorted out, that will include some fairly severe punishment for his irresponsibility and some professional help to overcome his problems. For the latter to work, he needs to want to work along with it. I hope that is in him.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 2

I have a stepson of 17 he is 6ft 5" his feet stink ,he moves at a snails pace he communicates with shrugs or dunno BUT even he has more sense than ward. What is going on in this morons mind ,my stepson is forever losing keys,phone etc & has no brain but I would like to think he wouldn't put his life or others lives at risk whilst riding a motor bike at 80 miles an hour with no brakes whilst under the influence. Ward is a wonderful rider to watch but sadly he is an absolute disgrace to himself ,his family & our sport

• Like 3

The difference being, Best had a very good career in football. Possibly finished too early but please don't coimpare one of the greatest players to ever live, to a speedway rider who is fairly talented but as yet achieved not an awful lot.

Also George was ill, there is a huge difference in being an alcoholic to being a waster like Ward.

I think it's a fair comparison tbh. Both amongst the greatest natural talents of all time in their respective sports. Both have achieved at club level, without doing the same at the sports pinnacle (in bests case tbf due to his nationality).

I'd argue there is actually quite a fine line between being an alcoholic and "just" having a drinking problem.

• Like 1

Thankyou for confirming what I said.. even though you attempt to dismiss it with 'that's a laugh'..

Read what you have said.. "If there hadn't been reaction to it". So if you hadn't of posted, there would have been no reaction would there? But by posting, and continuing to post you are ensuring it will drag on and on and on.. which you 'claim' you don't want to happen.

Hang on a minute... you're saying its ok for people to react to my comments....BUT I'm not supposed to respond to theirs? So I AM right yes? This ISN'T a discussion thread at all - its purely for anti-Ward comments and if I don't agree, then I'm not supposed to comment. So sorry - I got it now :t:

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 1

I'm fed up with all of the excuses being made for Darcy's behaviour , how many times do we have listined to the same old story ? He's appoligised in the past for his previous misdemeanours but he doesn't seem to learning from his mistakes does he ? Using this the second time this season he's been asked to take a breath test before a meeting ? I would have thought that would have been a wake up call . He's been totally unprofessional IMHO , you can't imagine that someone like Marc Marquez or Valentino Rossi would be out drinking the night before a GP or that they would be unable to compete the next because of the effects of that night out would you .? Hopefully a spell on the sidelines will give him time to reflect on his behaviour and he will decide to knuckle down and concentrate on his on track activities .

• Like 2

What I find disappointing is the few individuals defending this latest failing seem to be mainly Poole and his former club Kings Lynn fans, very reminiscent of Liverpool and how they defended Suarez for his racism and Chelsea biting incident, failing to see what the rest of the world could see, a brilliant talented individual that was flawed.Personally if Ward is given a ban, I would also like to see him be offered support too in the form of counselling, if that is what is needed.

Luis Suarez was NOT charged or found guilty of racism, but of using insulting words to Patrice Evra, who in evidence said that Suarez was not racist

LFC made it very clear that they are totally against racism

Please ensure facts are stated correctly

• Like 1

Yeah sorry SL - its all my fault apparently for having an opinion :blink:

Consider yourself duly reprimanded. :D :D ;)

I don't agree with you over this business with Ward - but - yes, you are quite right - you are entitled to your opinion. :t:

• Like 3

Yes we all agree on that, but apparently no-one is allowed to defend him at all. This is purely an anti-Ward thread :shock:

Go find the whisky bottle :drink: . I and many others are not anti-Ward we are simply anti alcohol in speedway. There is a difference, and if you can't see that maybe you have already found the whisky :P .

• Like 4

Luis Suarez was NOT charged or found guilty of racism, but of using insulting words to Patrice Evra, who in evidence said that Suarez was not racist

LFC made it very clear that they are totally against racism

Please ensure facts are stated correctly

Who is Suarez? Is he an Aboriginal speedway rider with a drink problem?

Hang on a minute... you're saying its ok for people to react to my comments....BUT I'm not supposed to respond to theirs? So I AM right yes? This ISN'T a discussion thread at all - its purely for anti-Ward comments and if I don't agree, then I'm not supposed to comment. So sorry - I got it now :t:

There is nothing positive to say regarding the current situation.

Yes we all agree on that, but apparently no-one is allowed to defend him at all. This is purely an anti-Ward thread :shock:

Defend the indefensible all you like, but don't bleat, like you have been, about the thread dragging on.

Go find the whisky bottle :drink: . I and many others are not anti-Ward we are simply anti alcohol in speedway. There is a difference, and if you can't see that maybe you have already found the whisky :P .

I'm not supposed to reply to you really, apparently my replies are the reason this thread is so long :rofl: ......

....but I'd just like to point out (once again) that I hold just the same opinion as all regarding alcohol in speedway. Most of my posts have been against the anti-Ward posters and their almost insane desire to come down on him like a ton of bricks when it seems clear he has problems and needs help.

(sorry BWitcher - I won't do it again - promise) :wink:

Edited by Star Fever