British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2015

Rumours have been rife about management changes, stadium improvements and the reintroduction of a third tier team at Rye House Speedway – and now all can be revealed.

The stadium and ownership of the club has been sold by long-serving Rockets supremo Len Silver and, while he continues as head of the Premier League team, his son Andrew steps in as chairman and manager of the Raiders, who make their return in the City Gearboxes National League.

The club’s new owner is local businessman Warren Scott. A key player in the family farming business, he has motorsport in his blood, being a former British Superbike Championship rider and current owner/driver of BMR Racing British Touring Car Championship team.

Talking about his involvement, delighted Bishop’s Stortford-born Warren, 43, said: “As a local employer there are many areas where we can add value and make a difference to the speedway.

“This is more than just business for me, I have a deep seated interest in bikes and a passion which I am sure can make a valuable contribution to the legacy of Rye House Stadium.”

The ownership change sees Silver Jnr, who successfully runs the Rye House speedway training, school take up a more day-to-day management role.

A former England international who rode for the Rockets, Arena Essex, Swindon and Eastbourne during a glittering racing career, Andrew said “Rye’s speedway fraternity have hit the jackpot. I could not have dreamed for anyone more suitable to take the club forward and cannot wait for the season to start.”

The Raiders begin their season with a home match against Mildenhall Fen Tigers on Saturday, April 4. However before then, on Saturday, March 14, they stage their press and practice day at the stadium.

Taken from Speedway 365.

Good, sensible move which will hopefully result in the somewhat flagging club of recent years getting a fresh more modern outlook, thus strengthening the clubs long term future!

While Len Silver was at the centre of the recent decline of the club his experience is invaluable and his continued involvement will help the transition through!

• Like 1

Now we know that the EL have priority over double up riders that aren't assets of their PL clubs, Edward will be missing a few Rockets meetings;

10/4 Somerset (a)

4/5 Somerset (h)

25/5 Redcar (h)

30/7 Sheffield (a)

1/8 Newcastle (h)

21/8 Plymouth (a)

31/8 Plymouth (h)

Assuming that Edward isn't a Rye asset, in which case the above dates are meaningless!!!

Edited by Shads

Now we know that the EL have priority over double up riders that aren't assets of their PL clubs, Edward will be missing a few Rockets meetings;

10/4 Somerset (a)

4/5 Somerset (h)

25/5 Redcar (h)

30/7 Sheffield (a)

1/8 Newcastle (h)

21/8 Plymouth (a)

31/8 Plymouth (h)

Assuming that Edward isn't a Rye asset, in which case the above dates are meaningless!!!

Kennett is a coventry asset although think most of us bees fans would gladly trade him for Garrity 😉

10/4 Somerset (a)

4/5 Somerset (h)

25/5 Redcar (h)

30/7 Sheffield (a)

1/8 Newcastle (h)

21/8 Plymouth (a)

31/8 Plymouth (h)

Seems like it's a win/win for Rye if they swap Garrity for Kennett. Get rid of a rider that doesn't want to be there and they no longer want while getting a number 1 for the next 10 season and a rider that will have to give them priority. Coventry gain a young asset and don't have to have a rider on their books whos cheating cost them a shot at the play-offs in 2011.

Surely this suits both sets of fans. And probably both sets of promotion and I'd imagine both riders. So why has it not happened yet?!

Seems like it's a win/win for Rye if they swap Garrity for Kennett. Get rid of a rider that doesn't want to be there and they no longer want while getting a number 1 for the next 10 season and a rider that will have to give them priority. Coventry gain a young asset and don't have to have a rider on their books whos cheating cost them a shot at the play-offs in 2011.

Surely this suits both sets of fans. And probably both sets of promotion and I'd imagine both riders. So why has it not happened yet?!

I'd gladly take Kennett for a rider that cheated the Rye fans for most of last year. Now that the Rockets have a new promoter there could be some business to be done Edited by Shads
  • Like 4

Kennett actually did cheat and disappoint the bees fans

One of the worst thing a rider can do is cheat the fans by not trying. Garrity is guilty as charged Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

One of the worst thing a rider can do is cheat the fans by not trying. Garrity is guilty as charged

You obviously seen him alot more than I did last season, but I think it was the first time you lot came to visit the OTA last year - Garrity's performance that night must go down as one of the worst performances at our place all season.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1

Kennett is a coventry asset although think most of us bees fans would gladly trade him for Garrity

Give Garrity time he'll soon upset you when he sets his sights on a better deal elsewhere, did it at Belle Vue and repeated it at Rye. You'll get a clue when he starts sulking, don't seem bothered and turns up with rubbish equipment

Possible future in the elite league??

Lets hope not

You obviously seen him alot more than I did last season, but I think it was the first time you lot came to visit the OTA last year - Garrity's performance that night must go down as one of the worst performances at our place all season.

What stuck in my throat was the fact that he would be flying for Coventry on the telly then the next night with Rye was giving up because he didn't gate, plus turning up with kit that wouldn't have got him points at NL level. Real waster completely dishonourable, if he was man enough to front up with Silver rather than act like a kid he could have gone. You have to wonder if there was an outside influence in his ear.

Have to say that when he left BV there were a few aces fans saying wait til you see the other side of him.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt early on as he was recovering from a broken leg, but as Westhamboy mentions in his post, Garrity would be flying for Coventry, then looked like he couldn't be bothered for us. He did pick up a little right at the end of our sorry season, but didn't do enough to endear him to Rockets fans. Edited by Shads