British Speedway Forum

Cheating In Speedway?

Never seen a rider fall and look up to see who's in front, never seen anyone rolling at the start, never been to a meeting where I have seen several engine failures or a future GP champion pulling wheelies at the back of the field whilst a certain rider with a 'bad shoulder' is stood in the pits, never heard of any club 'pouring' water on to their track in the middle of the afternoon on a baking hot day whilst their number 1 is invariably delayed in some foreign land and I have never known any club text a rider to say they ride for their club even though they ride for someone else.

I am not sure what the wider BSF community would say, however, in answer to that little conundrum you have posed I would say no.

• Like 3

Does cheating go on in speedway?....

Yep, sure does, but it's swept under the carpet, so as to avoid bad publicity, trouble is that the cheats do prosper, as they take earnings from genuine riders that they beat, would be a great deterant if they had to pay back all the points money that they cheated the opposition out off during the season they were caught cheating.

Penhall intercontenental final, pulling wheelies at the back while his 3 fellow americans fought it out for a place in the world final, he would have won this event if he hadnt wanted to help out his buddys, never heard a rider booed so much in my life and that includes bad boy Pedersen.

Penhall intercontenental final, pulling wheelies at the back while his 3 fellow americans fought it out for a place in the world final, he would have won this event if he hadnt wanted to help out his buddys, never heard a rider booed so much in my life and that includes bad boy Pedersen.

Bruce only did what a multitude of others have done before and since, only he didn't try to disguise it and actually admitted doing what he did on TV. So-called 'favours' for team-mates (in individual meetings) and fellow countrymen has been going on since the first cinders were laid.

Ironically, in 1980 Dave Jessup helped Michael Lee gain some vital points in the British semi-final at Sheffield. In the World Final DJ came second . . . to Mike!

Edited by tmc

Bruce only did what a multitude of others have done before and since, only he didn't try to disguise it and actually admitted doing what he did it on TV. So-called 'favours' for team-mates and fellow countrymen has been going on since the first cinders were laid.

Ive never once heard anyone condemn Joe Screen doing it in the race when Mark Loram won the World Championship. He clearly shut off on the 2nd bend and let Mark pass him to get the 2nd he needed to guarentee the title.

Depends on what you consider cheating IMO rolling at the start is not cheating ,many do not agree but where money is concerned then there is always an element of cheating that is going to happen.IMO S/way overall is a resonable honest sport the riders to point regulate themselves and collusion is always going to happen sadly.

• Like 1

Ive never once heard anyone condemn Joe Screen doing it in the race when Mark Loram won the World Championship. He clearly shut off on the 2nd bend and let Mark pass him to get the 2nd he needed to guarentee the title.

It's not illegal it's called team riding. :wink:

Edited by pugwash