British Speedway Forum

Tai Woffinden's Views On Single Night Racing In Uk

Please excuse me... but I would prefer a full seven-side line-up without riders being brought in when somebody is riding somewhere for another team.

Have other riders below the seven that have a link with the club (an asset etc) but let's get away from making it a rider free-for-all by allowing them to ride for more than one team.

People would say this would be breach of employment law, but didn't Simon Stead sit out a Sheffield match recently, as it was World Cup week? Was it his choice or at the behest of SWC.

The Stead fiasco was a total joke did the England team not fly out until Wednesday??Our league structure is dictated to by the series and other events teams having to be dictated to on what days they race.I want our league clubs at EL and PL to be in charge people run those clubs pay the bils yet at times have no say whatsoever.
  • Like 1

People would say this would be breach of employment law, but didn't Simon Stead sit out a Sheffield match recently, as it was World Cup week? Was it his choice or at the behest of SWC.

It was 2 matches actually, and would have been 4 were it not for 2 postponements. That's a lot of lost wages for Simon because of an FIM ruling, but he chose to ride for Team GB and therefore had to lose money by not riding in the PL matches.
  • Like 1

remember when Coventry ran for one season on a Thursday?

crowds more than halved.

if it was to be one night it would need to be a Friday or a Saturday, so that children who go to school can go!

no way meetings ending at 10pm that i would take the kids mid week. and if kids cant go then were up the creek anyway

how many tracks can run on those nights?

any other night and your just making it worse IMO

crowds more than halved.

if it was to be one night it would need to be a Friday or a Saturday, so that children who go to school can go!

no way meetings ending at 10pm that i would take the kids mid week. and if kids cant go then were up the creek anyway

i remember going to Cov on a saturday for Cov vs Wolves (must have been 2000 i think) both with strong teams and a massive crowd at Brandon. Those were the days

crowds more than halved.

Other sports run midweek to good crowds.

really?

apart from the premership?

all the other leagues have a massive reduction

Yes, even 5th league football can attract bigger crowds than speedway. I always took my kids to Sheff on a thursday and they were ok...One night aint gonna hurt the kids...

• Like 1

sorry yes it does

one night a week, 20% of the school term tired, great idea

no i am not a teacher!

if your happy for them to underachieve then crack on.

It didn't hurt me and it didn't hurt my kids...and loads of others I know...

Edited by Marcelle

It didn't hurt me and it didn't hurt my kids...and loads of others I know...

It doesn't matter whether it actually affects kids or not but if the perception of SOME parents is that late nights affect their kids school work then rightly or wrongly they will not take their kids to mid week meetings during term time which in turn means some don' t go themselves and the result is that there are a few less going through the turnstiles and that is the important thing.

It doesn't matter whether it actually affects kids or not but if the perception of SOME parents is that late nights affect their kids school work then rightly or wrongly they will not take their kids to mid week meetings during term time which in turn means some don' t go themselves and the result is that there are a few less going through the turnstiles and that is the important thing.

So whats the answer,every track runs on a friday, saturday or sunday afternoon?....That won't attract more fans, in fact it nay lose fans to other sports/activities...

With TVs, computers and the latest phones, I think kids have enough in their own rooms to sneak a late night for. The times kids had to be in bed by early evening is nonsense. Many are up to the early hours playing computer games. If people won't attend speedway on an off night, what does that tell you?

Speedway fans suffer OCD.

Edited by moxey63

I think the only thing to save Speedway is, better product on and off the track...thats not happening so its good night Vienna...

Back on topic, if we don't go to single night racing it won't be just Tai opting out of Britain....Then we will have a 100% second rate League, its not far off now.

So whats the answer,every track runs on a friday, saturday or sunday afternoon?....That won't attract more fans, in fact it nay lose fans to other sports/activities...

There is no easy answer and simply switching every meeting to a Monday is not a panacea that solves everything. As others have said, a package of measures are necessary including stopping the cheating. Unless and until those steps are taken changing the race night won't make a scrap of difference.

The elephant in the room is the excess of TV broadcasts. Years ago if you were only going tp see a top star once or twice a year you would make the effort to be there, but when they are on the telly every couple of weeks they don't have the same charisma. Bet 365 nonsense makes it even worse IMO. No need for the casual fan to leave the house now.

There is no easy answer and simply switching every meeting to a Monday is not a panacea that solves everything. As others have said, a package of measures are necessary including stopping the cheating. Unless and until those steps are taken changing the race night won't make a scrap of difference.

The elephant in the room is the excess of TV broadcasts. Years ago if you were only going tp see a top star once or twice a year you would make the effort to be there, but when they are on the telly every couple of weeks they don't have the same charisma. Bet 365 nonsense makes it even worse IMO. No need for the casual fan to leave the house now.

Been already said there is so much sport on tv these days there is no need for any casual fan of any sport to leave the house . But for some reason it's only in Speedway fan that the casual fan that never go's because it's on tv .

why not Saturday afternoon? most sports do this

how much cross over between football/speedway fans is there?

if many people complain about the speedway entrance fee, then i would guess they couldn't afford football which is much more expensive.

this is where research into the speedway population needs to be done and fast