British Speedway Forum

Lakeside V Eastbourne - 18th July

What a thoroughly enjoyable match. Eastbourne pushed us hard and could easily have gotten that elusive away win. Kim Nilsson looked solid, and fought hard for points when missing the gate. Davy looked a different rider from the one who struggled in Sweden on Tuesday. Rory Schlein was, as always, an excellent guest. Lewis and Ben did their jobs well. The real difference in the Hammers scoring was the below par performances from Richard Lawson and Adam Ellis. Both have done brilliantly this season and I'm sure one bad night can be quickly forgotten and they'll be back to their best sooner rather than later.

I agree that Lewis Blackbird is a talent, and that at 27 he's not really what the fast track system was designed for. However, he's in there, and can only be congratulated on seizing the opportunity. I too genuinely hope we see the Eagles in the Elite League again next year, they always bring vociferous support and contribute to a good atmosphere.

• Like 2

Have to disagree. As a 2nd string PK would easily score double figures.

Perhaps he would have. Watching him at our home meetings this season though, I'm not completely convinced. Whether it was Lakeside or PK who initiated the decision I can understand the reasons for the change. I'll give it a few meetings before I make make up my mind how much of an impact it's had.

At the end of the day though, PK or no PK, if 2 other riders had performed tonight how they usually have been this season we would have won much more comfortably - just an off night for them I think, it happens and hopefully we can grab some more points away to secure a playoff spot.

Thanks to Rory again as well - great effort as a guest as always!

Blackbird has only started speedway so to say that he's 27 is unfair.

He's a late starter.

He was born on 21st Feb1987 but if it's unfair to say he is 27 what age shall we give him ? Is 14 alright with you ? Doesn't alter the fact that he has been riding longer than 3 of tonight's Lakeside team, and the fact that he shouldn't really be in the draft given the position he started the season in his PL club.

• Like 3

Was not there so cant comment on match but was not expecting what seemed on paper a poor Eagles team to get this close.

Eastbourne rode very well , as they often do at Lakeside. They won the toss took advantage of the more favourable gate positions in the early stages, took there chances and were more impressive than a lot of visiting sides this year. By contrast Lakeside were finding themselves in the wrong part of the track too often. It changed around the halfway stage when Lakeside had a team talk and Davy really pulled the team together, showing why he is one of the best captains around. Lakeside hardly put a foot wrong after that, making for an exciting finish.

Great effort by Rory who once again showed his liking for the track. 100% commitment from him.

Eastbourne get a lot of stick for fans of the more fashionable clubs but they showed a lot of character, to unexpectedly take a point. Can't fault their efforts.

Once again it was a slickly run meeting, starting at 8 pm and was done and dusted by about 9.40.

Tbh stevebrum is totally right. Lakeside scraped a win against a team who haven't won away from Arlington in 2 years and also I doubt any other club would sack a legend when they would run riot as a second string.

w.

The problem with that silly comment is that last nightPK would not be riding as second string.

PK's rolling average would mean he would still be in a heatleaders role, which was normally at No5 Last night Rory rode at No 5 and scored better than PK's home average. More significantly Rory rode a stormer of a race in a crucial heat 13 to get the better of an on form Bjarne Pedersen, and joined Dave Watt up front for a 5-1 which gaveLakeside a slight edge for the first time in the match. I doubt if anyone who has been seeing PK on a weekly basis at Lakeside would seriously say PK would have ridden better than Rory. In fact with PK at No5, there is a fair chance Lakeside would have lost the match.

The problem is that rolling averages have included some old scores that have kept PK in a Heatleaders role but on this seasons figures alone he is actually bottom of the home averaged, and second from bottom of the away averages.

• Like 3

Oh lol. :D:t:

PK would have been a second string at the end of the month.

Oh really?

Which of Richard Lawson and Lewis Bridger was going to up their average past 6.71 then?

Oh lol. :D:t:

PK would have been a second string at the end of the month.

And what would you suggest his green sheet average would have been then for August bearing in mind we haven't reached the cut off date for those to be calculated yet? :rolleyes:

Cracking match last night, Eagles definitely deserved a point, thought we looked rusty early doors.

Anyone got some good photos of the track with lightning in the background, mine were rubbish. Great atmosphere with the dark clouds looming in, and the lightning in the distance, never been to a speedway meeting like it

• Like 1

Bridger 6.48.

PK is 6.71.

BSPA site from the 16th.

Those are the July rolling green sheet averages for the duo (and better people than I would be required to explain to you WHAT factors go into calculating "rolling GSAs") that came into force at the 1/7/2014 amongst the new averages for all seven of the Hammers declared 1 to 7 and took into account EL matches ridden up to and including the 'cut off date' of 23/6/2014. As my ageing brainbox understands, or maybe thinks it understands, they wouldn't change until new averages are issued to apply w.e.f. 1/8/2014 that will also take into consideration any EL matches ridden by the Lakeside Hammers from 24/6/2014 to 23/7/2014. :blink:

So how does that make PK a second string?

Good question! :wink:

Another example of the sport keeping its fans in the dark. The totals used for rolling average calculations are not made readily available let alone the breakdown.

If they were then it would be simple to assess how likely one rider was to switch places with another.

Looking at the speedway star if their figures were used for team building then Davey and Peter would both be second strings!

In fact Davey's average is only 0.43 more than PK's so why was Peter made the scapegoat just because he has scored more bonus points.

I know its a very old record but don't forget Hammers still have to play Poole a number of times still and we all know what tends to happen, the conspiracy theory does not exist for no reason at all.