British Speedway Forum

Best Pairing Ever?

Roy Carter and John Davis, 1971 - 73 round EoES.

OK, probably not the best ever riders to ride as a pair for Panthers but they were virtually unbeatable round the Showground when riding together - and they team-rode. It wasn't just first and second, disappearing out of sight of the opposition, as per NIgel Pearson's view of team-riding these days.

These type of "best of all time" questions are always pretty much impossible to answer. How do you compare one era with another? People will be swayed by those they saw the most, or those who rode for their local club. Nostalgia or fading memories make it hard to compare riders from decades apart...

...but in this case, it's easy. Best pairing ever? Without a doubt - Peter Collins and Chris Morton.

I seem to remember Tom Owen and Greame Stapleton going round Newcastle like they had velcro on at times :-)

Andre Compton and SId Little were pretty good at team riding Brough too

David Bargh and Mark Thorpe?

Armando Castagna and David Steen. Can't remember who it was chasing them, but after they both lost control on the fourth bend at Oxford at the same time while team riding, went flying towards each other, missed each other, but ending up swapping postions, the rider behind them thought "Stuff this" and tootled around making no attempt to go near the two mad men in front of him. :D

All the best

Rob

1960,s Jimmy Gooch Ron How Oxf Cheetahs my first intro to Speedway as 17 yr old

Chris Morton Peter Collins during B/V good times

Greg and Billy for and against the bees through out their uk times

Tommy Knudsen David Bargh always good for maximum pts early in the meeting

So many to choose from like everyone else but I think it has to be

Greg and Billy for the simple reason they used to do it against us and then we had the chance at Brandon to watch them do it on a regular for us particularly in ht 15

• Like 1

For me, Hancock and Hamill. Many a heat 13 and heat 15 5-1.

What I didn't like was the same pair in a few heat 8 double-tacs. Seeing two of the World's finest outpacing the visiting #2 and #7 just because the visitors had had the audacity to lead by 7 or 8 points by heat 8.

• Like 1

Hans Nielsen and any partner took some beating.....from the Cradley glory team Phil Collins and Alan Grahame at 4 and 5 were great together...and Sam Ermolenko was the best team rider I've ever seen in my opinion.

You don't seem to get top riders actively looking for their partners as much these days and being prepared to slow the race down to protect them or even bring them through to pass the opponents

• Like 1

I'm surprised no-one on here has picked Nicki Pedersen and errrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! :shock: :shock: :wink::nono: :nono:

Don't knock it. Nicki and Jesper Olsen were great together as a team in 1998, as long as Jesper was at the back. :P

please forgive me if this has been mentioned before. but the word . best PAIRING does not mean . the best 2 top riders in any team.. but who they are PAIRED with on a regular riding/partner/paired with. not the top 2 .. my vote goes to owen ellis owen and george leslie mitchell graham at workington. they rode together at 1 and 2 for a readonable length of time at worky.. the late great ian thomas said he would put these two up against any paird riders from any team.. and the best pairs was born..