British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Transcript below in case the website doesn't work for all :-

Brummies speedway team could fold after owner admits he wants out
Speedway crisis revealed by Selco Brummies chief Alan Phillips

Birmingham's professional speedway team could fold after the club’s owner admitted he wanted out.

Selco Brummies chief Alan Phillips refused to comment on suggestions the club were in a rent dispute with its landlord at Perry Barr Stadium, the Greyhound Racing Association.

But he confirmed he wanted to sever his links with the outfit and hit out at the British Speedway Promoters’ Association over what he claimed was a lack of support.

Phillips said: “I cannot confirm or deny anything where the stadium is concerned and the GRA."

“I can say, however, that I personally have had enough.

“No-one has come forward with support and the BSPA, well, what can I say?

“I feel very badly let down but should have expected it, I’ve been warned enough.”

The Brummies owe money to riders, other clubs and several suppliers, although tonight’s Elite League clash at Poole will go ahead as scheduled.

BSPA chairman Alex Harkess said: “As a sport we don’t want to be losing a club like Birmingham.

“We will be doing everything within our power to ensure the sport survives at Perry Barr Stadium

“We have been in dialogue with different parties over the last 24 hours to ensure the club is salvaged.

“I’m not prepared to go into detail regarding the club’s financial situation as that is confidential.

“The Poole meeting was guaranteed to go ahead because we ensured that would be the case and hopefully something can be put in place very quickly to ensure the club survives.

“As an association, it is our policy to try to keep clubs going rather than closing them down – this certainly applies in this case.”

Phillips, who took charge of the club alongside in November 2011 along with business partner Chris Luty, took sole control last November and brought in his son Charles to help.

But team manager Phil Morris quit after leading the team to the top of the Elite League.

That was followed by a transfer request from skipper Danny King – but he later withdrew it.

And earlier this season vastly experienced co-promoter Graham Drury resigned, claiming he could no longer work with the current regime.

Shame,great track and such a big place

They be better off signing Hasan, Hussain, Habib,Saadat, Sabir, Sadaqat, Sadiq,Waheed, Waheed, Wahid

Whilst one can say that there are racist undertones to this post, it could well be that the demographics are working against The Brummies. Perhaps people who would watch speedway have moved out of the city and are close enough to Coventry and Wolverhampton to get the weekly fix there? I don't know, but what appears clear, it that there is a lack of sustainable support for Brum within the current Elite League set up. Maybe Tony Mole is the answer? All I do know is that he did a great job in his time at Belle Vue.

Hope it works out for Brummies fans.

Latest from Alan Philips on Twitter:

"I am sad to say I will no longer be part of birmingham Speedway. I will try my utmost to ensure continuation. A full statement will be issued in due course. After continuing losses, a line had to be drawn. I am so sorry but we did our best"

• Like 1

Perhaps people who would watch speedway have moved out of the city and are close enough to Coventry and Wolverhampton to get the weekly fix there? I don't know, but what appears clear, it that there is a lack of sustainable support for Brum within the current Elite League set up. Maybe Tony Mole is the answer? All I do know is that he did a great job in his time at Belle Vue.

I live and work in Birmingham. I moved here a year ago (almost to the day) from Stoke. In that year, I have been to Birmingham once. I've been to Stoke, Coventry, Buxton and Wolverhampton more than that. The sad fact is that speedway at Birmingham doesn't excite me. The track hasn't been right in a while, and the lack of an atmosphere, partly due to the lack of air horns, means that it doesn't excite me. Add in the fact that it is absurdly expensive for a pretty poor team, and I would rather spend the money on petrol to go to Coventry/Wolves than to go to Birmingham.

• Like 3

Every year I think this Elite League can't survive the way it is going,but somehow it does But the clubs enticed into the League will end up the Losers.Interesting to see what Liecester say at the end of their 1st season.Peterborough were lucky to get out when did .

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

Whilst one can say that there are racist undertones to this post, it could well be that the demographics are working against The Brummies. Perhaps people who would watch speedway have moved out of the city and are close enough to Coventry and Wolverhampton to get the weekly fix there? I don't know, but what appears clear, it that there is a lack of sustainable support for Brum within the current Elite League set up. Maybe Tony Mole is the answer? All I do know is that he did a great job in his time at Belle Vue.

Hope it works out for Brummies fans.

Latest from Alan Philips on Twitter:

"I am sad to say I will no longer be part of birmingham Speedway. I will try my utmost to ensure continuation. A full statement will be issued in due course. After continuing losses, a line had to be drawn. I am so sorry but we did our best"

I agree, perhaps the demographics of the City are just wrong for top flight Speedway, maybe at a lower level (less outgoings) it may have a chance... Don't know what the average crowd is at the Brummies, but with having Cov and Wolverhampton as close as they are, can't help.. It would be like Leicester having to compete for spectators/supporters with teams at Syston and Oadby, perhaps...............

Cheers for sticking the boot in Vog, nice to see some fans actually care.

Don't think he's sticking the boot in at all. He is merely stating and opinion and one that any possible future owner/caretaker of Birmingham would do well to heed. Birminghams future does not depend on those fans who go every week, it will depend on getting those that don't to attend.

I wish all concerned the very best of luck in keeping the stadium going this season and in the future in whatever league suits it best. It's not nice when your track closes, I know, and I think if Birmingham closes it will not reopen given the local opposition to it.

Cheers for sticking the boot in Vog, nice to see some fans actually care.

Kev, I care about all teams, and losing any would be a massive blow, but the simple fact is that Birmingham moved up and were solely reliant on the Sky money. Crowds have dropped after the initial honeymoon period, and the cloth wasn't cut accordingly. When they moved up, there was no jump in crowds to support the move, and any sensible businessman would have seen this and moved back down. I've enjoyed previous trips to Birmingham, but on the last couple of occasions, it felt like the life had been sucked out of the place. Crowds were down, the racing wasn't as good as it had been, and it very much felt like they were going through the motions. I wish it had worked out better for them, and I hope that it does work out in the end, but if they get through this period, lessons have to be learned. Not just by Birmingham, but by all clubs.

Lets not forget Sky aren't sponsoring the EL this year. Their new contract is just for TV coverage and offers substantially less money to all EL clubs.

Seems to me that Birmingham are in a similar position to Swindon last year - having had a successful season and then undoubtedly paying riders more than can be afforded the following year. Swindon's sponsors bailed them out but that is where its different to Birmingham!!

As a side comment, I don't think much of Nigel Pearson commenting on the situation when some would say he has a vested interest in the future at Perry Barr and is also a current member of the BSPA.

Having worked for the dreaded GRA for 22 years, I know all about their outrageous rent demands for speedway clubs to use their stadiums. Finding the money to cover it is only the start for any prospective brummies promoter. Personally I think perry Barr is a very good race track and one I would visit regularly if I lived locally. Good luck with the fight to save your team.

• Like 2

Part of the problem is the cost of speedway. Alan Phillips has complained about crowd numbers but it's expensive to go to speedway.

Two adults and two kids would cost £40 before programmes, car parking and any drinks the kids might want - call it £50 per week.

Times are tough and most tracks run every week. Even at three times per month, families can't afford £150-£200 per month on speedway. There's no easy answer to it because if the clubs ran every other week to cut costs then a rain off or two might mean no home meeting for a month. With riders refusing to ride if someone spills so much as a cup of tea on the track, people are unwilling to travel far if the weather is bad.

I live and work in Birmingham. I moved here a year ago (almost to the day) from Stoke. In that year, I have been to Birmingham once. I've been to Stoke, Coventry, Buxton and Wolverhampton more than that. The sad fact is that speedway at Birmingham doesn't excite me. The track hasn't been right in a while, and the lack of an atmosphere, partly due to the lack of air horns, means that it doesn't excite me. Add in the fact that it is absurdly expensive for a pretty poor team, and I would rather spend the money on petrol to go to Coventry/Wolves than to go to Birmingham.

. VOG so what your saying is that the tracks at stoke ,Coventry,Buxton are better than Birmingham? LOL?.......................
  • Like 1

. VOG so what your saying is that the tracks at stoke ,Coventry,Buxton are better than Birmingham? LOL?.......................

No,but I am saying that I have found all offer better value for money than Birmingham.

BIG mistake going EL....I thoroughly enjoyed my PL visits, and a friend of mine who lives locally wasnt happy that he ended up watching the same teams at Perry Barr as he did every monday at Monmore...Seems the bigger the city the less likely a centrally located club can surive.. whether it's a largely immigrant local population or Yuppies..either way they aren't interested. Much like native householders tracks are reloacting to the outskirts... Kirky Lane bucks the trend for now at least.

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 1

I am afraid that Speedway in this Country is dying on its feet.

Football just dominates above all sports.

Speedway just relies on the diehards to get through.

Speedway is just to expensive for too many and not good value for money.

Do not know the answer to the problems if there is an answer.

:cry:

Edited by AJ is King

BIG mistake going EL....I thoroughly enjoyed my PL visits, and a friend of mine who lives locally wasnt happy that he ended up watching the same teams at Perry Barr as he did every monday at Monmore...Seems the bigger the city the less likely a centrally located club can surive.. whether it's a largely immigrant local population or Yuppies..either way they aren't interested. Much like native householders tracks are reloacting to the outskirts... Kirky Lane bucks the trend for now at least.

But Kirky Lane (long may it continue) doesn't have any competing EL track within 20 miles, as does Birmingham. You do make a valid point though about the make up of typical inner city communities and they don't lend themselves to speedway patronage.

Do not know the answer to the problems if there is an answer.

:cry:

Stop pandering to the lowest common denominator and change the sport radically

A ten team Elite League with half racing on a Monday and half on a Thursday. A complete home and away season with each team meeting twice.

A limit of 42.5 carved in stone, if the same number of teams compete then it is the perfect limit.

Riders paid on a sliding scale per point massively less than now. eg average 10 and over £100.00 per point, 8 - 10 £80.00 per point etc. If the riders dont like it, tough

All clubs effectively a franchise of one organisation, gate receipts and income pooled and riders paid out centrally.

Then move on to how the whole thing is packaged, forget the "Bert and Ada wedding anniversary request" type presenter. An extreme sport need loud anthemic type music/flashing light type presentation. The whole evening should be joined together, not 15 1 minute bursts then quiet.

Get the race winners to do a lap of the circuit to some accompanying music not scurrying back to the pits, almost snapping off footrests in their haste to get there.

Yes of course some current fans wont like the new version, some current clubs will not even be able to take part but it is inevitable that there is collateral damage in any big re organisation.

To be honest that is mostly "on the hoof" but the sport definately now needs to be looking towards major change

• Like 7