British Speedway Forum

Kent V Stoke Mon 23rd June

This looks like a very tasty encounter. Should be some good competitive racing but I expect Kent to win. What do others think?

Kent need at least a 10 point lead to take to second leg.

Stoke will put up a much better show than they did at Cradley.

Much as I'd love to see Kings rack up a healthy points advantage in the home leg, this Stoke side are going to be difficult to hold. We're going to need our top 5 to show the kind of determination they showed against Devon last week. On top of that, Danny Ayres will need to keep focussed and not overcook things. Nervous though about blooding Jason Garrad against such tough opposition. He's going in at the deep end but if he can maybe sneak a couple of points away from Adam Kirby, that'll do for me. I believe Kings could win this leg, but probably by no more than 6-8 points. :t:

• Like 1

He's going in at the deep end but if he can maybe sneak a couple of points away from Adam Kirby, that'll do for me.

Agreed! It'll be a tough first meeting for him but hopefully he can pick up a few points. We'll need him to if we're going to go to Stoke with some points in our pockets!

They will need to since the Kent side is looking a bit of a force to reckon with.

A force to be reckon with ?

Management make another great team change to strengthen side ???

Glad I missed tonight.

Mmmmm, Ht leaders 12 programmed rides 4 Wins from Kent, 8 wins from Stoke, The reserves scores; 4 points by Kent reserves, 8 points by Stoke reserves, Plus Baseby shows his potential. This Kent side is nowhere near challenging for any sort of Honours, when they meet any of the half decent sides they will struggle to win, even at home, They just are NOT good enough all round, maybe Im being outspoken on this, but in every department tonight it looks like they were out scored, and remember just under 1 week ago Stoke were Ommered by 60 points. I say this with NO great pleasure because Kent have a lovely set up, great potential, and fans that are hungry for success, can the present managerial set up give them that?, well with recent signings i have my doubts. Well done Stoke for an all round Team effort, Kent i think Iv said it all.

• Like 5

Absolutely gutted! I got rare permission to leave work early to race down to the stadium in time for the start. Wish I hadn't bothered. Stoke riders got faster and Kent went slower! I bet Mr Vatcher was impressed with Ben.

Even when we got out of the gate the Stoke riders passed us in the first lap. David Mason especially seems to lack speed. I thought it was hard on Aaron when was excluded but from the main stand it was difficult to see who was at fault.

Jason Garrad was well off the pace but was probably to be expected. Simon and Danny were unlucky in the first running of Heat 4. However have to entirely agree with everything said by

Greyhoundp

• Like 1

Have to agree with Greyhound p on his assessment,, except though Lambert looks back to his best since leaving Rye House,..,Garrad i feel should have had some second half rides against Harris before being considered for the team , then maybe they would have left things as they were.. Better by far to have bought Adam Kirby back in,, judging by todays excellent showing,,...Not a lot of good things to say about Kings performance other than ,Danny Ayers continues to improve and stayed upright today, Kings, beaten by a far better team on the day.... Benji Compton could be back in a couple of weeks ,,who will make way at this stage your guess is as good as mine...Even that will not make us play off contenders in my opinion... Nice to meet up with old pal Malcolm Vasey who must be over the moon with the way his Stoke team rode here, on this showing a good bet for the play off,s

Edited by waco
  • Like 2

NATIONAL LEAGUE KO CUP Q/F, 1st leg
KENT 40: Simon Lambert 12, David Mason 7+2, Ben Morley 7+1, Luke Chessell 7, Danny Ayres 4+1, Aaron Baseby 3+1, Jason Garrad 0.
STOKE 50: Ben Wilson 13, Jon Armstrong 9+1, Ben Hopwood 8+1, Adam Kirby 7+2, Lee Payne 7+1, Chris Widman 5, Rob Shuttleworth 1.

A force to be reckon with ?

Management make another great team change to strengthen side ???

Glad I missed tonight.

Teams aside, hot weather will always create problems with track preparation but this seemed bad from the word go. Gate and go being the norm which is a pity because on my previous two visits, improvements were visible. Bend 1 and 2 seem to be developing different racing lines but why oh why have adverse camber on bend 3 and 4 which prevents the use of over half the track. Last night the grip was out there but as Simon Lambert showed in one of his heats, go too far and you have lost it.

It is such a shame to have such a bad feature built into what could be a great racing circuit.

I forgot to add the over watering before heat 11 that was excessive in the extreme.

Edited by Great Central
  • Like 1

Mmmmm, Ht leaders 12 programmed rides 4 Wins from Kent, 8 wins from Stoke, The reserves scores; 4 points by Kent reserves, 8 points by Stoke reserves, Plus Baseby shows his potential. This Kent side is nowhere near challenging for any sort of Honours, when they meet any of the half decent sides they will struggle to win, even at home, They just are NOT good enough all round, maybe Im being outspoken on this, but in every department tonight it looks like they were out scored, and remember just under 1 week ago Stoke were Ommered by 60 points. I say this with NO great pleasure because Kent have a lovely set up, great potential, and fans that are hungry for success, can the present managerial set up give them that?, well with recent signings i have my doubts. Well done Stoke for an all round Team effort, Kent i think Iv said it all.

You are spot on again Greyhound.

At the beginning of the season the Rye House Management ( oh sorry I meant Kent) said they had built a team to challenge for honours.

Yer right,Kings are a million miles behind Cradley and a lot weaker than some others.

Kings will not move forward until the Rye House connection goes.

• Like 2

I noticed last night that in prog it says Roger Cairns is the 'Promoter' with Len Silver a 'co-promoter'... Surely there has to be at least one other co-promoter?

What exactly does this mean..

i recognise Len when I see him (and he was in an adapted bus shelter last night to presumably keep the sun off), but i wouldn't recognise Mr. Cairns so he may or may not be at meetings.

Notwithstanding, when the Kent project was floated last spring it felt like this was a new promotion. I certainly don't remember Len's name being mentioned. I remember giving feedback requested on how to run meetings etc when asked on this forum, but if I had known then that it was in fact an already established promotion behind the project i probably wouldn't have bothered...

Although we were thanked for responses at the time, i can't actually imagine now it made an iota of difference to their planning..

who knows..

• Like 1

Kent were simply not good enough.

1. Ben Morley 7+1 from 5. Not a number1's performance. On Facebook he's said he can't wait to get his good motors back and start scoring points again. #FocusElsewhereNow
  2. Aaron Baseby 3+1 from 4. Points return doesn't do justice to the effort he put in. #NiceTryButNoCigar
  3. David Mason 7+2 from 4. Disappointing against classy opposition. #PaidMoreThanMorley
  4. Luke Chessell 7 from 4. Impressive display - plenty of effort. #KingsManOfTheMatch
  5. Simon Lambert 12 from 5. Our only true heat leader on the night. Gritty determination. #LamboOnARoll
  6. Danny Ayres 4+1 from 5. Painful to see the defeats by a 2013 reject. Too much effort, too little speed. #ExpectedBetter
  7. Jason Garrad 0 from 3. Jury still out, but verdict not looking good. #FishOutOfWater

It's difficult to see how we fit Benji back in again. I reckon our combined GSAs are running at 42+, compared to the last official issue which was 37.14. That means we couldn't afford to bring Benji (6.37) back without sacrificing Morley (currently about 8.94). Looks like Benji is going to have to sit it out a while.

Next week won't be any easier, what with high fliers Lewis Rose, James Cockle, Kyle Hughes, Darren Mallett, Marc Owen and Scott Campos in the Young Stars line-up. One last hash tag #KissThePlayOffsGoodbye

Oh, and Adam Kirby? WTF was that all about?

Edited by Kent Whistle Gang
  • Like 1