British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

Are you sure that was said? My understanding is they are running the stadium too, 5)/5/ why they brought Adrian Smith in to run it as CEO, Mark Lemon is in charge of the speedway club.

Absolutely certain.

If you visit the MCC website the webcast is avaliable, it is point 16 on the agenda about three-quarters of the way through

Are you sure that was said? My understanding is they are running the stadium too, 5)/5/ why they brought Adrian Smith in to run it as CEO, Mark Lemon is in charge of the speedway club.

It makes business sense for both parties.

The way I read it is that Adrian will run the stadium but everything taken on will have to be approved by MCC.

After 12 months of all is run smoothly MCC will agree terms to run the whole site.

It offers protection to the new owners as to whether ventures outside of Speedway are viable.

For the MCC it gives them 12 months of full visibility of the day to day running.

The concern will be in 12 months if these new owners can't get a business plan together and run up huge debts the MCC will have to review the position of the stadium i.e. whether it's cost effective in the long term.

The MCC and the new owners are not concerned about loses, it's expected in year 1-2.

As long as all bills are paid and a % return is made from 'outside sources' the MCC will approve the new owners to move forward alone.

It makes business sense for both parties.

The way I read it is that Adrian will run the stadium but everything taken on will have to be approved by MCC.

After 12 months of all is run smoothly MCC will agree terms to run the whole site.

It offers protection to the new owners as to whether ventures outside of Speedway are viable.

For the MCC it gives them 12 months of full visibility of the day to day running.

The concern will be in 12 months if these new owners can't get a business plan together and run up huge debts the MCC will have to review the position of the stadium i.e. whether it's cost effective in the long term.

The MCC and the new owners are not concerned about loses, it's expected in year 1-2.

As long as all bills are paid and a % return is made from 'outside sources' the MCC will approve the new owners to move forward alone.

All eminently sensible.

And clearly that is what the CEO of MCC was making clear at the Council meeting today.

It is just little shame that is not the impression that many Aces supporters who have been following this story had got.

They thought they had been told something just a little different.

Lets make 2017 the year of transparency, eh?

Edited by Grand Central

Have never been convinced that calling the place NCC is the right thing, it throws way too much emphasis onto speedway activities as the income generator. Far too ambitious, however it came about together with the whopping big rent which went with it.

Did it have to be built and designated in such a way? It must have placed ridiculous pressure on DG & CM to have had the whole shebang on their shoulders, or did they bring that upon themselves?

• Like 1

Have never been convinced that calling the place NCC is the right thing, it throws way too much emphasis onto speedway activities as the income generator. Far too ambitious, however it came about together with the whopping big rent which went with it.

Did it have to be built and designated in such a way? It must have placed ridiculous pressure on DG & CM to have had the whole shebang on their shoulders, or did they bring that upon themselves?

I think the NSS cme from MCC wanting the title. The stadium is part of a project on the east side of Manchester promoting sport. Man City Etiad stadium is only couple miles away - as is the National Velodrome and I think there is another "National" sport event closer to the NSS, cant remember what it is though.

I think the NSS cme from MCC wanting the title. The stadium is part of a project on the east side of Manchester promoting sport. Man City Etiad stadium is only couple miles away - as is the National Velodrome and I think there is another "National" sport event closer to the NSS, cant remember what it is though.

I know that this has often been said.

But I have increasingly thought that this is a right load of old flannell.

Perhaps SOMEONE can come up with some document that shows this to be true... but I seriously doubt it.

Todays Council meeting agenda called it 'Belle Vue'. They talked about Belle Vue. No one mentioned NSS.

No single individual at MCC really gives the feeling that this 'naming' is an issue.

It is Belle Vue. Better still 'The Zoo'.

To my mind the NSS it is just a vanity project on that score.

And the vanity (pair) has left the building for 2017.

Edited by Grand Central

If the new contract DOES include ALL use over the stadium for 12 months it may not be a bad / expensive deal. However if it is £350k for speedway only usage it's a millstone around their necks. Why can we never be told in clear simple terms wha the £350K includes? Speedway's smoke & mirrors style as ever.

National Basketball Centre is next door too.

Edited by Rob B

Oh, yes, there is no doubt it was agreed between the parties.

But it still remain a nonsense 'courtesy' title of no substance whatsoever.

No doubt the marketing men, when they get going under the new regime, will attempt to squeeze as much mileage out of it as they can.

And good luck to them. I'd use any old blarney to sell the place if it made it financially viable in the long term.

The funny thing about the council meeting was all the talk of the 'Belle Vue franchise' and 'franchisees'.

We all know what they mean but it's just terminology Speedway does not use itself.

But it was how those 'mandarins' view it.

Edited by Grand Central

Oh, yes, there is no doubt it was agreed between the parties.

But it still remain a nonsense 'courtesy' title of no substance whatsoever.

No doubt the marketing men, when they get going under the new regime, will attempt to squeeze as much mileage out of it as they can.

And good luck to them. I'd use any old blarney to sell the place if it made it financially viable in the long term.

The funny thing about the council meeting was all the talk of the 'Belle Vue franchise' and 'franchisees'.

We all know what they mean but it's just terminology Speedway does not use itself.

But it was how those 'mandarins' view it.

Not too worried about what terminology they use GC - just as long as there is a long term future for Belle Vue 'Aces'.

• Like 3

That appears a fairly reasonable resume of the report before council, what was said at the meeting and the position the council take.

And unlike other reports previously it puts 'one side' alongside input from the other players.

ISG continue to dispute the claim that they used the wrongly graded materials.

BVA continue to insist that they have evidence that the Council actually knew that the wrong material was being used.

MCC state in the report that it was BVA that were aware of a change to the materials from specification and had not got council approval.

That will lead to some lively negotiations beween the three parties MCC, ISG and the BVA liquidators on that disputed bill.

Just how much will MCC have to stump up to ISG that they are witholding, just how much will ISG be able to argue down the claim for losses; how much will BVA liquidators take in a fee for their part in any negotiation. And finally how paltry will be the amount coming to the liquidators to actually pay the creditors of BVA?

But it will be secret, unforunately.

Glad I am not a Manchester Council Tax payer anymore.

PS
The next installment should be DG actually publishing the evidence he mentions of MCC's culpabilty.

That should liven things up.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

I do find the claim by the council, that BV knew that 'alternative material' was used on turns 3 & 4, astonishing. If that was the case even onion would have eventually worked out that it wasn't a coincidence that the dodgy track was in the same area that 'alternative material' was used and that it could be the cause of the issue.

If we accept the basic proposition that the council is unlikely to admit it was at fault in a public report and secondly that it is blindingly obvious that poor contract management on the part of MCC was a major factor in the opening night debacle then I am inclined to suspect that the report's author is stretching the definition of "knew" well beyond its normal dictionary meaning.

• Like 1