British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

The loss of income from all the possible other events that couldnt take place due to faults was probably built into the loss assessors report, that is then the money MCC failed to pay to ISG but didnt pass on to BV.

no wonder MCC are reluctant to "open up" and tell all.

If that money, £696k+, was passed to BV things could have been o so different. Who gets that money now????

The loss of income from all the possible other events that couldnt take place due to faults was probably built into the loss assessors report, that is then the money MCC failed to pay to ISG but didnt pass on to BV.

no wonder MCC are reluctant to "open up" and tell all.

If that money, £696k+, was passed to BV things could have been o so different. Who gets that money now????

I suppose no-one gets it as such, the council just don't pay as much for the stadium as they should have done.

You can see very much why the thing David Gordon seriously regrets is not taking ISG through the courts. While the council have been deceitful and protected their own interests at the expense of Belle Vue, the real culprits are the cowboy constructors.

They are currently undertaking work for Calderdale Council in Halifax and my understanding is it is months behind schedule.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

When you read posts like this for the life of me i don't know why Phil Rising bothers with this forum.Some of the crap he takes is unreal, none of us really know the real goings on in this case.Mr Rising for me has been great over the years on this forum helped lots of people i don't know why he bothers to be honest.

Fortunately for Phil Rising and the Speedway Star more speedway fans care about the music played at speedway meetings than they do about investigating journalism

I think they should rename the NSS Stadium " Gordon's Folly"

Coming out the other side (almost) of this whole debacle, Belle Vue Aces and Colts are still in existence and have new, high powered owners. Its almost as though the off track events of 2016 never happened.

They also have a magnificent, brand new stadium with a truly world class racing track. Nowhere else in Britain even comes closeto matching it and I really don't see how it might be termed a 'folly'.

There's no doubt that David Gordon & Chris Morton have been the real losers of the whole debacle but it should also not be forgotten that without their persistence and determination in the face of scepticism, cynicism and down right ridicule - which extends from the terrace fan to highest reaches of the BSPA - the NSS almost certainly would not exist.

'Gordon's Legacy' would be far more appropriate.

• Like 8

Doesn't look like it OFF - does it?

Worrying times.

Not unduly concerned yet - about 6 weeks before the Aces first meeting. Can't remember what point they made up after the 2010 winter but it was nigh on start time.

What doesn't help are these 'you might be told tomorrow' posts. By all means say that things are still progressing but make an announcement about everyone being told when and only when you can make that announcement.

• Like 5

By the way, does anyone know whatever happened to Arthur cross, who I was replying to in the quoted post?

Patiently waiting for some actual confirmation of who (if, that is, anyone at all) will be promoting Belle Vue speedway in 2017 to the satisfaction of Manchester City Council given the council's increasingly awkward position when it comes to justifying its multi-million-pound investment in the National Speedway Stadium project.

All my previous scepticism about the medium/long-term financial viability of the National Speedway Stadium still stands but, as I've had some delicate family matters to deal with while waiting for any new promoting details at Belle Vue, I haven't made commenting on here a top priority.

Thanks for wondering about me anyway ... rest assured, I haven't wondered about you in the slightest beyond taking this trouble to reply fairly promptly to your curiosity about me.

Still wouldn't let either David Gordon or Chris Morton anywhere near the day-to-day running of a speedway club (or, indeed, any other business) because even if it turns out they were trampled upon by either the council or the contractors, their incredible naivety in running up the size of the club's debts while at the dog track made them an obvious target for any such trampling, never mind the pressure of those previous debts dominating their decision-making as they tried to settle the Aces into their new home.

Mind you, I could easily transfer the phrase "incredible naivety" to the majority of folk trying to run speedway in this country rather than attaching it to just those two Mancunian clowns.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Report now online that being discussed at council meeting tomorrow.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/meetings/id/22847/14_belle_vue_speedwayupdate

WOW.

Section 3 is painting a totally new picture on the GOM debacle.

3.4 is quite extraordinary. " It has come to light that the owners of Belle Vue Group Companies were aware of the proposal to use alternative material. However, the Council were not made aware of this change of material and the express consent of the Council was not obtained. "

That is a totally 'out of the blue claim' that no one had even suggested before.

What evidence can they have of that.

After all ISG were under contract to MCC not Belle Vue.

It beggars belief that Chris Morton would have been 'aware' that the track base was being constructed using nappies, doesn't it ?

Edited by Grand Central

Good job Buster was prompt and decisive hey FF/Ouch :wink:

4.10 Since taking occupation of the National Speedway Stadium in March 2016, BV Arena Ltd failed to meet important requirements of their agreements, including paying any rent on the property to the City Council. As a result the Council were therefore also unable to renew BV Arena Ltd’s licence to occupy the stadium nor the entering inform of any further commercial arrangements with the Belle Vue Group of Companies.

4.11 In October 2016, it had come to light that the Belle Vue Group of Companies had significant debt not only with the Council but with other parties. The Council was contacted by the Chairman of the British Speedway Promoters Association (BSPA) in respect of the financial position of both BV Arena Ltd and Belle Vue Speedway Ltd. They had been made aware that several BVA speedway riders had not been paid salaries and had heard rumours that contractors had not been paid by the Belle Vue Group of Companies. They had also been aware of rumours suggesting that the City Council was going to terminate the agreement with the Belle Vue Group of Companies, which was a major concern to the BSPA as the National Speedway Stadium.

Edited by Speedball

MCC say they didn't know the £500k of funding from the original investors had been replaced by £600k from new investors in October 2015. They didn't know because Belle Vue didn't tell them -until October 2016.

MCC must have known as they cannot have been that disinterested about something that now appears crucial.

To be berated for not taking out a loan is unjustifiable unless the terms of the loan are made available. Would you take kindly to being thought a financial fool if you didn't take out a Wonga loan for example?

To come up with their excuse about the track after all this time with all their resources shows how desperate MCC truly are.

"It wasn't me Gov, honest."