British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

True - but even if they did - would they get all of their investment back?

I don't know.

the project looks a rather modest cost in comparison to other ventures in the city.

This week I saw the proposal for 'The Factory' an arts theartre and music venue. Cost was £110m with £22m coming from the council.

A dual stage venue with total capcity at 7300.

The NSS was a fraction of that.

• Like 1

SEVEN days and still not response from Manchester City Council as to what they object to and threaten action against in our proposed feature in Speedway Star. Very frustrating.

Council officials should be transparent with their actions & taxpayers money, but obviously not in Manchester! looks like we have a choice:

1. Don't ask contentious questions & get Belle Vue Speedway in 2017.

or

2. Ask contentious questions, get delays & have no Belle Vue Speedway in 2017.

SEVEN days and still not response from Manchester City Council as to what they object to and threaten action against in our proposed feature in Speedway Star. Very frustrating.

So advise them of an intended publication date and see what happens. ;)

So advise them of an intended publication date and see what happens. ;)

HAVE tried that :neutral:

Problem is that Councils, in my exeperience, are very slow in everything they do.

Hopefully it will not stop Belle Vue going to the Tapes in 2017.

DON'T think it will but perhaps they want to have speedway's future at the NSS settled before calling off the legal hounds.

• Like 2

Problem is that Councils, in my exeperience, are very slow in everything they do..

I was of the same opinion until Friday last,,,

the plumber arrived at my abode at 3pm to investigate a leaking pipe, to be repaired it required 3 elbows, an isolation valve, a tee peice and a straight coupling (all compression fittings),,, the guy finished at 3.30pm (on a Friday),,, yet he still managed to complete the job AND fix the 'stop cock' that didn't actually 'stop',,, he never put all the stuff back into the cupboard, but fair play to him anyway :)

just goes to show, that after so long of having an opinion on 'the coucil', something comes along and changes it, thumbs up,,,

DON'T think it will but perhaps they want to have speedway's future at the NSS settled before calling off the legal hounds.

I had thought that the announcement last week HAD settled the future of speedway at the NSS.

The only thing left to do was just give the details of the the new mangement/promotion.

Nothing else was supposed to be 'up in the air' or pending legal questions was it?

• Like 1

Have the legal issues surrounding liability for the opening night fiasco been resolved? Given the speed at which these things move (doubly so when a local authority is involved) it is quite likely that that dispute is still rumbling on in the background.

Any agreement between MCC and the new promotion at Belle Vue is likely to be independent of that (although may be complicated by the presence of parties involved in the old promotion also being in the new promotion).

I'm just getting a little anxious about the time that has elapsed since the announcement of the agreement without any news as to the identity of the new promoters. If the deal has been done, why is it still such as secret?

Have the legal issues surrounding liability for the opening night fiasco been resolved? Given the speed at which these things move (doubly so when a local authority is involved) it is quite likely that that dispute is still rumbling on in the background.

Any agreement between MCC and the new promotion at Belle Vue is likely to be independent of that (although may be complicated by the presence of parties involved in the old promotion also being in the new promotion).

I'm just getting a little anxious about the time that has elapsed since the announcement of the agreement without any news as to the identity of the new promoters. If the deal has been done, why is it still such as secret?

That is mostly what is getting to me too arnieg.

Council officials should be transparent with their actions & taxpayers money, but obviously not in Manchester!

Same as anywhere mate, they all like to stockpile money and sod anybody else..

• Like 1

If you've revealed the councils part in the opening night and their relationship with the contractors, or the councils part in the temporary terrace and bogs, or the councils part in the swc being brought into doubt the week before the event or their part in the old promotion signing a deal including giving up the belle Vue name, even if you've avoided the use of the actual word 'blackmail' it will still look a bit ropey for the council, so I can understand their lack of enthusiasm.

Not forgetting the BSPA statement "it was nothing to do with us", that was issued so swiftly after the opening night problems at 'The National Speedway Stadium'...

I wonder if the BSPA could now play some part in the control of 'The National Speedway Stadium'? which as we know, they didn't previously, (because they told us)...

As George Formby may have said...

"Hee, hee, turned out nice again!"....

Edited by mikebv

Not forgetting the BSPA statement "it was nothing to do with us", that was issued so swiftly after the opening night problems at 'The National Speedway Stadium'...

I wonder if the BSPA could now play some part in the control of 'The National Speedway Stadium'? which as we know, they didn't previously, (because they told us)...

As George Formby may have said...

"Hee, hee, turned out nice again!"....

Never realised you was that old .. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Fascinating reading, and thanks Rob.

We await with baited breath the response from the BSPA, SCB and MCC........I think they all owe us that much?

No doubt the resident BSPA puppet on here will adopt his usual pompous attitude and try to brush this under the carpet by attempting to ridicule every comment on the subject, but the speedway public of Britain deserve far better than that.

• Like 1

If you've revealed the councils part in the opening night and their relationship with the contractors, or the councils part in the temporary terrace and bogs, or the councils part in the swc being brought into doubt the week before the event or their part in the old promotion signing a deal including giving up the belle Vue name, even if you've avoided the use of the actual word 'blackmail' it will still look a bit ropey for the council, so I can understand their lack of enthusiasm.

I'd say it is far worse for them if they try to cover it all up. It will come out (in this case sooner rather than later) and while Speedy Star can be ignored by the Council the Manchester Evening News (who are interested) most certainly cannot.