British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

DUE to some legal arguments, which we hope to resolve later this week, Speedway Star has had to put on hold our feature on what went wrong at the NSS this year.

The legal department at Manchester City Council have raised a number of objections but we are confident that everything are ready to publish is both factual and verifiable by documentation that we have in our possession.

All being well we will go ahead next week.

I hope you will advise us on here when exactly when the Issue detailing all that went wrong at Belle Vue is definitely coming out.

I will look out for a Copy and buy it.

DUE to some legal arguments, which we hope to resolve later this week, Speedway Star has had to put on hold our feature on what went wrong at the NSS this year.

The legal department at Manchester City Council have raised a number of objections but we are confident that everything are ready to publish is both factual and verifiable by documentation that we have in our possession.

All being well we will go ahead next week.

If they are whining about it this article should have a fair bit of poke. That can only be a good thing for the issue at hand, the fans of all clubs and, in particular, Speedy Star.

It would be interesting to know whether there is any increase in sales for that edition.

• Like 1

If they are whining about it this article should have a fair bit of poke. That can only be a good thing for the issue at hand, the fans of all clubs and, in particular, Speedy Star.

It would be interesting to know whether there is any increase in sales for that edition.

There will be - the Copy I purchase. :t:;):)

Edited by The White Knight

AN update on the Speedway Star article on the NSS ...

Manchester City Council are still unhappy with what we are ready to publish and making threats through their legal department although we and David Gordon are 100 per cent sure of facts. But our own lawyer has advised us to hold fire until we have resolved this.

Despite several emails last week to the MCC Press Office asking precisely what they objected to and why we have had no answer.

• Like 1

Manchester City Council are still unhappy with what we are ready to publish and making threats through their legal department although we and David Gordon are 100 per cent sure of facts. But our own lawyer has advised us to hold fire until we have resolved this.

Despite several emails last week to the MCC Press Office asking precisely what they objected to and why we have had no answer.

As I said earlier - I hope that you will give notice which Issue this Article will be in.

I promise to buy it..

Thanks in advance. :t:

Well publish and be damned!

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

And have the Magazine facing Legal Action against them?

Great idea that.

It might bankrupt Speedway Star Speedway's only Official Journal - not very clever that Humphrey - unless you would care to pay for any Legal Bills or Fines incurred?

• Like 3

Great idea that.

It might bankrupt Speedway Star Speedway's only Official Journal - not very clever that Humphrey - unless you would care to pay for any Legal Bills or Fines incurred?

If everything is true, then why would they face legal action?

Great idea that.

If they are "100% sure of the facts," what exactly are they afraid of? Genuine question (I realise it's a question which only Mr Rising can answer).

The threat of legal action is often evident where one side perceives that their opponent ( SS in this case) does not have as deep a pocket as they (MCC) do. Truth and facts often do not come into it - I know, I have been there.

• Like 2

Whether the story to be ran is the truth or not, those with bigger pockets can spin any litigation through the courts until those with smaller pockets (or more to lose) eventually and often with truth on their side, back down...

A sensible approach is to not put your head above the parapet until you are sure no one has you in their sights..

'The truth will out' is a phrase most would hope comes to fruition, (however long it takes)...

Looks like the SS is taking the correct legal advice and correctly biding their time...

• Like 4

If everything is true, then why would they face legal action?

If only that were true. Sadly, it isn't.

If the council are as culpable as some are making out those responsible will go a very long way to stop everyone finding out.

We are talking about politicians here.

I think SS are right. It might (sadly) tone down the article a bit, but unless they can categorically prove anything they print they may risk the very existence of the magazine.

• Like 1

While I would counsel caution (I was once involved in a case where it cost £300,000 to prove five people were entirely innocent) it is worth pointing out you can't libel the council.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/law-report-local-authorities-cannot-institute-libel-actions-derbyshire-county-council-v-times-1473954.html

However the contractors no doubt have deep pockets and would probably be the greatest impediment to SS printing the full story.

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

While I would counsel caution (I was once involved in a case where it cost £300,000 to prove five people were entirely innocent) it is worth pointing out you can't libel the council.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/law-report-local-authorities-cannot-institute-libel-actions-derbyshire-county-council-v-times-1473954.html

However the contractors no doubt have deep pockets and would probably be the greatest impediment to SS printing the full story.

While this is true I believe there has been cases of individual council bosses taking people to court.

It sounds like a murky mess and one which it may be better ( except for the reputation of Morton & Gordon ) if it did not come out. I too would dearly love to hear the entire unvarnished truth but fighting the MCC may be more like cutting off your nose to spite your face as they can close down the use of the NSS to speedway VERY easily if they so choose!

It sounds like a murky mess and one which it may be better ( except for the reputation of Morton & Gordon ) if it did not come out. I too would dearly love to hear the entire unvarnished truth but fighting the MCC may be more like cutting off your nose to spite your face as they can close down the use of the NSS to speedway VERY easily if they so choose!

Fair point well made.

The only thing I can see wrong with that is the Council would be left with a white elephant of a Stadium that would be largely unused. Surely that would be no good for either side.