British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

Did not go bust, Odsal stadium was and still is owned by Bradford Council, who then decided to put the whole of Odsal area up for redevelopment along with the Richard Dunn sports centre opposite, all of which to this day has never come to anything, Odsal still is the same today as what it was when the Ham brothers had to give up on Speedway, I have lived in Bradford all my life, its very embarrassing to drive passed it every day, and think of what might have been, Bobby Ham then suffered from illness which forced him to retire, or take life a little more easily to which he did, but Allan still attends speedway meetings, has run World Finals, Semi finals, the whole bundle of meetings successfully.

Isn't there a permanent hospitality area now where the 3rd / 4th bend used to be ?

Edited by New Science

Now that there licence has been revoked,who owns the riders?

The BSPA take control of the riders as assets. Interested buyers/loaners contact the BSPA office and deals are agreed, with the monies going to the original promotion or to pay off internal debts.

• Like 1

Isn't there a permanent hospitality area now where the 3rd / 4th bend used to be ?

think your right.

The BSPA take control of the riders as assets. Interested buyers/loaners contact the BSPA office and deals are agreed, with the monies going to the original promotion or to pay off internal debts.

Thanks,was wondering about young Kyle Bickley thought he had signed something for Aces when he is old enough!

Yes, and it's presence was behind the difficulties of putting speedway back in to the Odsal by Tony Mole. It is for select guests/hospitality, but being squarely across and on the 3rd/4th bend, it would have been sprayed every race if the track could have been fitted in. At least at Sheffield, the hospitality boxes and pubs are some distance from the track with a dog track and supporters between them and the track.

think your right.

Thanks,was wondering about young Kyle Bickley thought he had signed something for Aces when he is old enough!

It would be very wrong IMO for Kyle to be sold. Having not ridden for them at senior level, I think he should be a free agent.

• Like 1

Well it is right up to where the fence used to be (the fence has been removed). Tony Mole reckoned he could still fit a track in but his approach was rejected. There are now houses in the field behind the stand (formerly the site of the old Northern View hospital). Or at least, planning has been passed for them.

Edited by foamfence

One would hope so, if not then the riders need to sue the original management and if no joy there then possibly the bspa, being the governing body.

If the original promotion goes bankrupt, anyone owed money would only be entitled to a percentage of any assets. Unless I've missed it, that hasn't been made clear.

• Like 1

If the original promotion goes bankrupt, anyone owed money would only be entitled to a percentage of any assets. Unless I've missed it, that hasn't been made clear.

Sell the tractor and the grader. That should pay for it..

• Like 1

And does their BSPa bond go towards paying any outstanding amounts owed to riders?

Yes. There is an common agreed rate paid to riders, which is no way near the actual rates in their contracts.

If The BSPA are going to step in as tenants maybe the stadium and track could be let out to two or more promotions. eg BV and Slough

Very, very, strong rumour that a Promoter has been found to run Belle Vue on behalf of the BSPA, on a temporary basis for the next two to three years whilst a permanent man is put in place, that promoter is Allan Ham, former promoter at Bradford.

Could be that my flippant remark might not be too far off the mark. The reemergence of Bradford sharing the NSS with Belle Vue. Why not? :approve:

Bradford only over t'other side o t'hill and still have a healthy following (certainly on the BSF).

Bring it on.

Could be that my flippant remark might not be too far off the mark. The reemergence of Bradford sharing the NSS with Belle Vue. Why not? :approve:

Bradford only over t'other side o t'hill and still have a healthy following (certainly on the BSF).

Bring it on.

I believe Alan was hired as an official for SKY TV meetings. He was usually seen in both BV locations when on the tele.

Bring it on.

Bradford could not support the team when they were around, only Hams money kept them afloat for as long as they did ride.

Before any snide remarks I am from Bradford and followed them year in year out, but the support was not good enough to sustain them.

Weren't the Hams involved with Scott Nicholls for a time? Certain they haven't promoted since Bradford shut in 97 mind.

Certainly they'd be more trustworthy than the previous promotion turned out to be, though I don't think him and CVS always saw eye to eye..

Weren't the Hams involved with Scott Nicholls for a time?

Yes they were as far as i remember.

I find it somewhat ironic that Morton is being called and Ham is being hailed even after his own company became insolvent in 2007 - only on the BSF!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00950114/insolvency

Maybe I got this wrong ..what has hams company in 2007 got to do with speedway ?

I find it somewhat ironic that Morton is being called and Ham is being hailed even after his own company became insolvent in 2007 - only on the BSF!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00950114/insolvency

Allan retired from his own business in the early years of 2000 somewhere around that time, then sold his company to his son and it was his son's business that went bust.

Weren't the Hams involved with Scott Nicholls for a time? Certain they haven't promoted since Bradford shut in 97 mind.

Certainly they'd be more trustworthy than the previous promotion turned out to be, though I don't think him and CVS always saw eye to eye..

Yes they were, believe Scotty was sponsored by Ham Construction.

• Like 1

Allan retired from his own business in the early years of 2000 somewhere around that time, then sold his company to his son and it was his son's business that went bust.

He was, and for quite a long time too, if my memory is not failing me (again).

Yes. Alan had about 4 riders sponsored with very distinctive black mudguards, with a series of sponsors in blocks down the guards covering the front forks legs. Also the fork cover was black with Ham Racing in green dots. I have them on one of my bikes. The Riders who were sponsored were Scott, Tai ?, Auty, Wrathall. Possibly Joe Haines as well.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1