British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue National Stadium

and then later on in that document there is a chart showing where the whole £10.66 million for the Belle Vue Sports Village complex would be funded and it says of the $.4 million for the NSS - funded from MCC Capital Resources repaid from Speedway Stadium rental income.

and this is also included in that document..

3.4 The bespoke nature of the Speedway Stadium proposals have promoted discussions with the British Speedway Promoters Association (BSPA), which is the body which governs British Speedway. They have confirmed their willingness to designate this new facility as the National Speedway Stadium along with the National Speedway Academy for the development of new talent and other associated employment opportunities within the Speedway industry. The FIM (Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme) who oversee all motor cycle related events worldwide have confirmed a willingness to host world speedway events at a new National Speedway Stadium on a regular basis, therefore opening up the potential including for example, Under 21s World Cup, Under 21s Individual World Cups, and Grand Prix Qualifiers. Discussions have also been held with IMG (International Management Group) who have the worldwide franchise for Speedway World Cup and Grand Prix events. Subject to a viable business case and the stadium being available there is a potential to host such world events at the National Speedway Stadium.

Edited by OveFundinFan

If Belle Vue's rent was pro rata to that of West Ham no doubt they could easily survive on speedway attendances.

Ridiculous argument. Belle Vue would have known the deal when they signed-up for it, although a number on here pointed out the folly of the terms. You were pretty dismissive of the naysayers, but it seems they were correct.

Football attracts thousands of spectators every year, even to West Ham, so the utility of building and funding a stadium for football is much higher. By comparison, speedway is these days a virtually unknown sport that attracts a few hundred spectators, and is frankly lucky that any council is interested in trying to support it at all. The fact that any council runs a significant risk of not being able to recoup their investment from the sport, is yet another reason why many would be dissuaded.

The Olympic Stadium cost taxpayers hundreds of millions, to build, hundreds more to convert and is still costing tens of millions to switch from football to athletics and the like and the tenants (WHFC) only pay a peppercorn rent which does not even include the upkeep or the people who man the turnstiles.

The Olympic Stadium was built for a specific purpose, and was presumably financed on the basis of income from the Olympic Games and improvements to the surrounding infrastructure. It can either sit there and turn into an unused dilapidated ruin (as with many previous Olympic Stadia) or at least be used for a sport that people actually turn up to watch.

Whether or not the deal with West Ham is right or wrong though, it has absolutely nothing to do with Manchester City Council or Belle Vue speedway.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 3

Is that right? If you look at the documents (such here) it says the stadium costs comes from Prudential Borrowing, which is a mechanism for local authorities to borrow money for infrastructure projects.

Therefore MCC have the debt and presumably interest on the cost of the stadium, whether it is utilised or not.

MattK, thanks for that.

Some interesting points jump out at me - the business plan was based on regular attendances of between 1800 and 2500. How did they arrive at this figure? Was some kind of market research carried out or did they just hazard a guess?

- the involvement of the BSPA from the outset. I assume that the National Speedway Academy would be their responsibility and therefore they would be contributing in some way for the use of the venue facilities.

Did the Academy get off the ground and what was the BSPA's commitment both financial and otherwise?

You might have thought that learned and astute people from either Manchester City Council, Belle Vue Arena/Speedway or the BSPA would have seen that this might not work or was everybody just carried along on the crest of a wave and didn't want to be seen as a killjoy?

:unsure:

Hopefully whoever is interested in taking us over, they will present MCC with a new business plan that is within the speedway budget.

Lower the expectant attendance figures from 1800 to 1300 and budget the re payments (rent) on that figure.

Hopefully the council will listen.

But it's going to take 1 hell of a pitch to the council for them to change the way the rent is paid back.

Hopefully they won't be as rubbish as the apprentice candidates this year.

• Like 1

1300 tops.

The document states that (pre 2016) attendances are 1000-1100. Really!!

I'd say on average this year we were getting about 1500. And that was alot more than next door. Crowds were poor at murky lane

3.6 The Belle Vue Aces have undertaken business planning work which sets out the income and expenditure forecasts under a range of scenarios at a new National Speedway Stadium. The principal day to day operations of the Aces is largely driven by attendances and ticketing income. Currently the Aces average attendances are 1,000 -1,100. It is envisaged that with a new Stadium, the potential exists to increase this to between 1,800 and 2,500.

So the 1000-1100 in the business plan was 'incorrect'?

Edited by pugwash

3.6 The Belle Vue Aces have undertaken business planning work which sets out the income and expenditure forecasts under a range of scenarios at a new National Speedway Stadium. The principal day to day operations of the Aces is largely driven by attendances and ticketing income. Currently the Aces average attendances are 1,000 -1,100. It is envisaged that with a new Stadium, the potential exists to increase this to between 1,800 and 2,500.

So the 1000-1100 in the business plan was 'incorrect'?

I'd say about thag at Kirky lane. Maybe a little less. But to envisage 1800-2500 is just ridiculous.

But look at every bank holiday crowd and play off crowds. They were massive. So the fans are there. We just need a promotor that makes them come more than 3-4 times a year

• Like 2

STOP muddying the waters, Philippe, by banging on about the Olympic Stadium, and trying to cover your tracks about your unbridled support for the NSS - it is totally irrelevant

Yet to see you agree that BV have acted badly over the last few months, irrespective of them being let down by the contractors, by letting it all come to a situation where they lose their licence

• Like 2

I'd say on average this year we were getting about 1500. And that was alot more than next door. Crowds were poor at murky lane

You'l be lucky to see an average of 700 next season.. Honeymoon period is over..

Your gloating, Starman. You were always jealous of the new stadium away from Poole.

Not at all, its my opinion.

So are we also saying the stadium is not used on a daily basis ? Everyone talks about speedway but as far as i was aware the top class facilities were made available for corporate/Business hire and functions Weddings/Parties etc, surely that should provide a reasonable regular income if managed correctly, Room Hire, profit on banqueting and more to the point Bar takings..

We have to remember this was not just a speedway stadium but a multi use multi purpose venue !!

Will be watching this closely as there clearly was money coming in !

https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/b-v-arena

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/07608471/B-V-ARENA-LIMITED/companies-house-data

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07608471/filing-history

I notice from these companies house reports that David Gordon terminated his directorship of BV Arena ltd on 20th Oct 2016.

'Smell a rat'?

I notice from these companies house reports that David Gordon terminated his directorship of BV Arena ltd on 20th Oct 2016.

'Smell a rat'?

As possibly our friend from BHS, Mr Green will find out, a company director may still be liable for any improprieties even though they have left the enterprise.

I would think it more likely that Mr Gordon has left for more personal reasons.

As possibly our friend from BHS, Mr Green will find out, a company director may still be liable for any improprieties even though they have left the enterprise.

I would think it more likely that Mr Gordon has left for more personal reasons.

Left knowing a winding up order is imminent and would hence be barred from being director of any other company?

MCC spent around £7 million of tax payers money (although that was gleaned from the sale of land to MCFC) but their expenditure has ended and what they are losing out on now is rent.

Are you actually sure that is the true position.

I understood that there was some sort of losn in place the 'rent' included some form of repayments on the capital.

Are you really saying that in not the case and that BV Arena Ltd had NO capital repayments to keep up.

That would be bizarre.

But it seems to be what you are saying nonetheless.

Edited by Grand Central

I'd say about thag at Kirky lane. Maybe a little less. But to envisage 1800-2500 is just ridiculous.

But look at every bank holiday crowd and play off crowds. They were massive. So the fans are there. We just need a promotor that makes them come more than 3-4 times a year

Was the quality of racing not consistent throughout the season then? Every time the camera's were there the racing was by far the best we have seen anywhere on UK shores for many seasons. If I lived locally, that would be enough to get me going weekly.